Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Vikings on Greenland?

pebby too

Hello my brillant people, I think about 20 years ago I saw a T.V. program that talked about a discovery of an ancient Viking settlement that had graves that had extrememly tall skeletons in them? Does anyone know what I am thinking of? It has been simmering in the back of my mind for years if it was really true or just wishes for exciting ancestors.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PersonFromPorlock

• Swede

• DieChecker

• Pssst

Top Posters In This Topic

Vikings had settlements on Greenland but I don't know about the really tall skeletons.

The only reference I can find (not looking too hard) says that the Vikings buried in a Greenland cemetery were about as tall as modern Scandinavians.

There is proof of Viking settlement in New Brunswick, Canada and Maine as well. Google (I'm too lazy at the moment to do it for you.) :)

Hello my brillant people, I think about 20 years ago I saw a T.V. program that talked about a discovery of an ancient Viking settlement that had graves that had extrememly tall skeletons in them? Does anyone know what I am thinking of? It has been simmering in the back of my mind for years if it was really true or just wishes for exciting ancestors.

Welcome Pebby. Given that your memories of the details of the broadcast program are quite vague, it is rather difficult to comment on such.

As a possibly contributory note, archaeological recoveries have revealed that the average height of Norse males of the period in question (which is not really "ancient") fall into the ca. 5' 7" - 5' 9" range. Larger than the average stature of many of their contemporary observers, but hardly "giants".

There is proof of Viking settlement in New Brunswick, Canada and Maine as well. Google (I'm too lazy at the moment to do it for you.) :)

You may wish to further consult your references. Newfoundland, yes. Baffin Island, possibly. Maine? Am unaware of credible documentation.

I don't think I've read of any giants on Greenland. But....

There are dozens of old articles from newspapers from the 19th and very early 20th centurys of giants being dug up all over North America.

Example...

http://www.sott.net/...d-Men-of-renown

The problem being not even one bone of any of these giants is still to be found anywhere.

Edited by DieChecker

I believe those North American giants' bones turned out to be mastodons', which in turn gave rise to a later generation of giants who turned out to be hoaxes.

The Maine Viking evidence was, IIRC, a Viking coin that could easily have been carried into Maine over an Amerind trading route.

Edited by PersonFromPorlock

King Harald Sigurdsson was more than 2m by accounts from his times. He was Norwegian, as were the settlers of Iceland and Greenland, it would not be impossible that among the settlers were also such large men.