Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Buy a coffee for someone who can't afford it

Still Waters

It doesn't sound as enticing as a cappuccino, flat white or latte, but a new beverage called the 'suspended coffee' is set to take cafes across the country by storm.

In a concept born in Naples, Italy, caffeine drinkers not only place their own regular order, they also request a second drink for someone who cannot afford to pay for their own.

The idea, which is not just aimed at helping the homeless but those who simply find themselves out of work and broke, for example, spread to Bulgaria and, thanks to the power of social networking sites, is beginning to take off in Britain and around the world.

http://www.dailymail...attes-need.html

• Like 2

I thought the homeless prefered alcohol?

• Like 1

I don't know what that is going to do except take him away from his begging job. Maybe if you bought him a full breakfast?

poverty and homelessness, the poor and the needy. No-one understands and everyone thinks they have the answer.

I guess every tiny little bit of humanity and caring, is something, better than nothing. :(

• Like 6

i'd have thought crack cocaine was the preferred option.

To the people with wrong perception of homeless:

It’s funny how one’s life can change literally in a second.

God forbid you learn that from your own experience.

I’m the first that would agree to solve professional beggars problem in the most illiberal fashion, but they are exactly the opposite of common people who were hit by life and ended up poor. Some poor people are just morbidly lazy, yes, but most are trapped in deliberately ruined economies.

I’d never label all poor or homeless as deserving their misfortune or unworthy of help. Everyone needs some help from time to time. There’s no shame or problem there, the problem is that whole nations are going collectively broke and we can’t help each other anymore.

A coffee might seem like nothing, but it’s not about the coffee, it’s about remaining human beings.

Humans are mammals, for forgotten god’s sake, mammals live in herds or packs because such organized life helps their survival. We were not made and/or we didn’t evolve to live alone or to feed on our own kind.

Buy a coffee, save both your future and your soul.

Bless your wee sweet heart Helen. Thank god there are people like you.

Edited by Mistydawn
  • Like 2

Thank you, Misty, but the truth is I’m an average, awful and selfish person. But even I can see there’s no future for anyone if majority of people are jobless and homeless.

What will accumulated zillions mean in a world of epidemics, illiteracy and uprisings?

Is that what top leaders want?

They obviously never heard of the old one: beware of those who have nothing to lose.

I still have my job and home so it’s still possible to keep me on the leash because of my fears for my family, but if few tiny details go wrong and I become one of the lesser beings in the street, I promise I’ll make it to the news with someone’s throat in my teeth.

• Like 1

If a stranger offered you a drink, would you really drink it?

Desperate much? :D

It’s not strangers, obviously, it’s the same waiter that poured the same coffee to me that will pour another one for a guy or a girl who just lost their jobs and can’t afford one lousy coffee.

May that coffee gives them strength, especially if they have kids who need so many small, simple stuff their parents can’t afford – not because they are lazy addicts, in my part of the world there are no jobs.

No jobs, hear me?

We have everyone, from half-literate to engineers running around applying for anything that could bring them any pay and no one gets the job.

Which part you didn’t understand?

And what do you care, after all, has anyone asked you to buy any coffee (or diapers or antibiotics or a loaf of bread) for someone in need?

Coffee is simple project for starts, it would be great if it would remind people of the necessity of charity in tough times and spread to other, more complex actions.

We have charity boxes in stores, you buy what you need and then if you can afford, you buy little something for the poor. Just a kg of flour or some sugar, anything, and leave in the box. Such boxes are never empty, bless my seemingly rough countrymen. We might be this or that, but we still care.

Edit: by the way, I don’t go out for a coffee anymore, not to mention we don’t go out for dinners anymore, it has become too expensive for our income. It doesn’t bother me, we still can have coffees and dinners at home with the same friends. What bothers me there are more and more people each day who can’t have anything not even at home anymore.

I do not compute how I could possibly ignore that. How I could live in illusion that’s not my problem.

Edited by Helen of Annoy
  • Like 2

Yes Misty and Helen. There are those who are so desperate and not just for money but for the comfort that someone cares. A cup of coffee might not seem much but it''s the thought that counts.

'There for the Grace of God go I'

• Like 4

That invites a whole new discussion and would depend on the situation and the circumstances?

poverty and homelessness, the poor and the needy. No-one understands and everyone thinks they have the answer.

I guess every tiny little bit of humanity and caring, is something, better than nothing. :(

The answer 'is' the free market. Bar none.

Yeah, makes total sense. Pay for a coffee for someone with no money (or who is homeless) when coffee has almost zero nutritional benefit. When black it only has around 2 calories for energy, with milk and sugar that only rises to something like 70 calories for energy, and it also costs the price of around 3 dinners (albeit very cheap dinners), or 6 cans of tuna (or more), or over 3kg of potatoes.

Aye, buy people coffee when they have no money. It'll help make the World a better place...

Edited by ExpandMyMind

To the people with wrong perception of homeless:

It’s funny how one’s life can change literally in a second.

God forbid you learn that from your own experience.

I’m the first that would agree to solve professional beggars problem in the most illiberal fashion, but they are exactly the opposite of common people who were hit by life and ended up poor. Some poor people are just morbidly lazy, yes, but most are trapped in deliberately ruined economies.

I’d never label all poor or homeless as deserving their misfortune or unworthy of help. Everyone needs some help from time to time. There’s no shame or problem there, the problem is that whole nations are going collectively broke and we can’t help each other anymore.

A coffee might seem like nothing, but it’s not about the coffee, it’s about remaining human beings.

Humans are mammals, for forgotten god’s sake, mammals live in herds or packs because such organized life helps their survival. We were not made and/or we didn’t evolve to live alone or to feed on our own kind.

Buy a coffee, save both your future and your soul.

THIS..... +1 and bravo!
  • Like 1

i bought a homeless "stranger" breakfast once on my way out the door. He was sitting warming himself inside, with a coffee he had bought. I told the clerk to give that guy the same breakfasts i had just bought us. I wonder if he decided not to eat it.. coming from a "stranger" and all?

Edited by lightly
  • Like 2

I think it's a good idea. It's rare that I will give money to a homless person or someone begging, but I do often buy them food or a hot drink. If I am going to buy a take out sandwich and see a homeless person on the street, I make a point of buying an extra sandwich and drink and give them it. I have done this many many times and have never had one refused yet, they have all been grateful for it. Also if I see a homeless person with a dog, I will buy a packet of dog food and give them it.

I drink quite a lot of coffee and collect those cards and stamps that give you a free drink, and when they are full I always give those away to the homeless too.

I'm not wealthy by any means, but I have a decent job, a car and a roof over my head. I have enough money to put my heating on, to feed myself and my family and enough left over for a holiday a year and to take my kids for a day at the beach. No one has ever handed me anything on a plate, I've studied and worked hard all my life to pay for what I have. But I realise that I am lucky. I count my blessings every day. Circumstances can change in the blink of an eye and not all homeless people are alcoholics or drug addicts, but just people who have being dealt a crappy hand in life and fallen on hard times.

Honestly, people should just try it. Next time you see a homeless person, buy them a coffee. They won't turn it down because it's off a stranger. And I guarantee the good feeling you get from it will be worth more than the £2 or whatever you pay for the coffee.

Edited by Moon Gazer
  • Like 5

This is why I love the "Roll up the Rim" months at Tim Hortons. Instant free coffee / muffin / donut coupons to hand out on the winning cups. I buy (or someone buys one for me) probably every other day and there have been many years where I've won a free coffee once or never. And maybe it is just a coincidence, but since I've started keeping them in my pocket to hand out with a bit of change, I've won more times this year then ever before.

• Like 2

i bought a homeless "stranger" breakfast once on my way out the door. He was sitting warming himself inside, with a coffee he had bought. I told the clerk to give that guy the same breakfasts i had just bought us. I wonder if he decided not to eat it.. coming from a "stranger" and all?

But would you accept a drink from a stranger?

If the coffee is not decaf and will keep them awake to go and look for a job, ok...but only once!!

Bet the cafe owners are going to love this....some will love the extra income, but some in the more refined areas are not going to take too kindly with their business looking like the entrance to Center Point!

ps: for those who have not heard of it, Center point is the homeless shelter in London.

Edited by freetoroam

I was reading about this a few days ago, the idea has expanded to include meals, just about anything on sale in shops participating. I think your'll start to see people we necessarily wouldn't class as poor or homeless using this.

• Like 1

I was reading about this a few days ago, the idea has expanded to include meals, just about anything on sale in shops participating. I think your'll start to see people we necessarily wouldn't class as poor or homeless using this.

Mines a stuff crust pizza with extra pepperami thanks, sir please thanks, help, thanks.

• Like 1

Mines a stuff crust pizza with extra pepperami thanks, sir please thanks, help, thanks.

I smell pizza...any spare slices going

• Like 1

I smell pizza...any spare slices going

Somethings gone wrong here...NOOOO! you buy the pizza, I play poor hungry person.

Smiley-Begging.gif

cricky, we haven`t even left the forums and this is getting nasty already! LOL I see riots!

• Like 1