Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Buy a coffee for someone who can't afford it

Still Waters

Yeah, makes total sense. Pay for a coffee for someone with no money (or who is homeless) when coffee has almost zero nutritional benefit. When black it only has around 2 calories for energy, with milk and sugar that only rises to something like 70 calories for energy, and it also costs the price of around 3 dinners (albeit very cheap dinners), or 6 cans of tuna (or more), or over 3kg of potatoes.

Aye, buy people coffee when they have no money. It'll help make the World a better place...

Et tu, fili Brutus... err... ExpandMyMindus? :D

Time to say the obvious again.

A sack of potatoes has far more calories than a cup of coffee, yes.

But a cup of coffee is social ritual in Italy and generally in this part of Europe.

A lot of things obviously don’t give any calories but they give the meaning to our lives.

CPR is 0 calories too.

A chance to have a coffee like other human beings is social CPR for impoverished but otherwise sane people.

Such initiatives (this one focused on coffee, we’ll get to the sacks of potatoes or a bowl or rice soon, don’t worry) aim to remind people of their humanity, not to increase consumption of eww, coffee.

The chick from Consumerist who came up first with this detached from reality nutritional mourning song against free coffee is, of course, entitled to her own opinion, but I would respect her real opinion more than this nutritional excuse to stay above the poor.

Edit: I was thinking of few more replies, but then I realized these posts are self-explanatory.

My condolences to the culture that has spawned them.

Edited by Helen of Annoy
  • Like 1

Et tu, fili Brutus... err... ExpandMyMindus? :D

Time to say the obvious again.

A sack of potatoes has far more calories than a cup of coffee, yes.

But a cup of coffee is social ritual in Italy and generally in this part of Europe.

A lot of things obviously don’t give any calories but they give the meaning to our lives.

CPR is 0 calories too.

A chance to have a coffee like other human beings is social CPR for impoverished but otherwise sane people.

Such initiatives (this one focused on coffee, we’ll get to the sacks of potatoes or a bowl or rice soon, don’t worry) aim to remind people of their humanity, not to increase consumption of eww, coffee.

The chick from Consumerist who came up first with this detached from reality nutritional mourning song against free coffee is, of course, entitled to her own opinion, but I would respect her real opinion more than this nutritional excuse to stay above the poor.

Edit: I was thinking of few more replies, but then I realized these posts are self-explanatory.

My condolences to the culture that has spawned them.

And to just add, I was very briefly (thank God) homeless and when one is in that condition I find that you become invisible to most - a non-entity. The coffee isn't about nutrition, it's about being remembered and valued by another human being. A smile and a word can do just as much if sincerely given.
  • Like 3

And to just add, I was very briefly (thank God) homeless and when one is in that condition I find that you become invisible to most - a non-entity. The coffee isn't about nutrition, it's about being remembered and valued by another human being. A smile and a word can do just as much if sincerely given.

Exactly. I remember when I was with my hubby in Edinburgh and we were heading out for the day, we'd forgotten something from the hotel so he ran back to get it while I went in to Tesco and grabbed us a drink from the Costa express in there. I noticed a homeless guy sat outside and decided to get one for him too. He appreciated it and said thank you, but what I think he appreciated more was that I crouched down next to him and chatted about the weather, sports and other such rubbish until my hubby turned up. Like the above post mentioned, to homeless people, it isn't really about the coffee but that someone has gone out of their way to be nice to them and see them as a person, not just someone to be avoided as you walk down the street.

• Like 3

But would you accept a drink from a stranger?

i have in the past. We went to a tiger game.. and a guy was selling bottled water for a buck... i slowed down, but my wife, who is a lot like you, kept going. So, i did too.

BUT, on the way out he remembered me and Gave me one FREE* ... i drank it.