Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pipeline Ruptures In Arkansas

Ashotep

And we're doing that, but until that technology is fully online, what do we do in the interim?

Try to consume as little oil as possible. Walk when you can, don't do any unnecessary driving, carpool, don't buy gas guzzlers, ride a bike, ride a horse, keep the thermostat turned down in winter, up in summer, put up heavy curtains, insulate your house, in other words conserve where you can. There may not be any one single solution but we need to be weaned off oil.

We have enough pipelines running everywhere. They need to prove they can maintain these before we add more.

North American Pipelines Map

• Like 1

Looks like the oil spill was larger than first told.

It seems that every major spill ends up being much LARGER than they first "thought" or "estimated" ... it's a PR thing to break the bad news in increments?

• Like 2

Try to consume as little oil as possible. Walk when you can, don't do any unnecessary driving, carpool, don't buy gas guzzlers, ride a bike, ride a horse, keep the thermostat turned down in winter, up in summer, put up heavy curtains, insulate your house, in other words conserve where you can. There may not be any one single solution but we need to be weaned off oil.

We have enough pipelines running everywhere. They need to prove they can maintain these before we add more.

North American Pipelines Map

It's my opinion that most folks are doing all of those things - well, except for the horse part. We're much more energy efficient than we were only a decade ago.

And as I said above, pipelines are BY FAR the safest form of transport for any liquid material.

• Like 1

If they were in good shape yes they probably would be safer.

• Like 1

I agree that pipelines probably are the safest mode of transporting oil and such, but Hilander's point about their condition is spot on. My guess is that pipelines are just like the rest of our aging infrastructure--in very poor shape. Whether there should be more inspections, or more money spent on maintenance and time spent on regulation should be determined. How practical is it to repair them?

I think much more effort should be put into maintenance of infrastructure, pipelines included.