Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Turnbull Canyon: A Google Maps Visual Tour

subliminality

Hi all, I have long since moved from Hacienda Heights but when I was growing up there I spent lots of time in the canyon with my friends. I got a little nostalgic at the start of the week and did a little Google Maps sightseeing. Here's some things I'd like to share with the community as I have yet to see any threads on any enthusiast's sites on the internet that have detailed and accurate visual evidence of some of the high points of the Turnbull Canyon region.

A preface to these images; all images are dated between 2011 and 2012 as validated by using Google Earth to determine the image dates.

Let's start with a popular one, is this photo evidence of the infamous hanging tree?

hangingtree_zps6edfe933.jpg

Actually, it's not. The original hanging tree was taken down many years ago however on a street view climb up TBR I found this tree which (although smaller) is a good representation of what the original used to look like. Let's see what else Google can show us.

asylum_zpsa8531e11.jpg

Ah yes, this is the house (compound?) that people claim was the site of the old asylum. Note it is in a state of disrepair. Although Zillow says that the property was sold in 1995 for a bargain ($117,575) it does not look occupied. Some tell tale signs are the trees that are growing over the roof of the house. Also if you look very closely to the left of the main house structure you'll see a 1960's era umbrella chair just hanging out like it's still in style. Also the pool appears to have been drained yet a pool of rainwater sits stagnant. Interesting, isn't it?

Attached to this property are the ruins of The Singing Kettle Tea Shop. Long closed since the 70's this used to be a cozy secluded restaurant, now it's just a monument:

tea_zps891ff3b2.jpg

Wanna know what creeps me out the most? Ghost driveways!! These driveways to nowhere are scattered all over the Hacienda Heights side of the canyon and are only good for two purposes, helping explorers access spooky untouched home plots and giving me the creeps:

driveway_zps8fb46924.jpg

Ok, moving on and making a brief stop at one of my favorite old abandoned homes:

1994127500_zpsbd8bb1b9.jpg

Although Zillow says that the house was sold in 1994 for a whopping $127,500 I can attest to it being completely barren in 1996. It was so barren in fact that there was no carpeting or flooring in the house (only floorboard) and it would get freezing cold in the winter due to the window seals being in deplorable condition. Sadly as I look at the pristine pool in this image I am assured by logic that someone has moved in and is taking care of the property. It was an amazing place to go skateboarding while it lasted.

Ok, here's the last bit I'll throw at you and it's been definitely worth waiting for:

descending3_zps22fa554f.jpg

Yep! It's Hell's Gate, still looking hellish after all these years, although in the nineties people were free to roam the property as the FEMA death camp gate and video surveillance systems were not up and running yet. So what was in there you may ask?

descending1_zps43a89366.jpg

A remnant of the 1989 Turnbull Canyon fire of course! In this image Hell's gate is towards the bottom right and Skyline drive is to the top right. So as you can imagine, all those people that repel down the steep cliff at the top of descending drive totally miss this part of the property. In fact not too many people can attest to being here although me and my friends have gone there several times in our teens (spoiler alert, no signs of evil-doings or mystic powers are to be found there, at least not in 1996). But I strongly urge you to check this place out from afar as the new owner has gone to great lengths to tell people that they'll basically shoot anyone who gets past the razor wire and then feed them to the dogs. So in that light here's the closest look that Google Maps will give you:

descending2_zps535fd0f4.jpg

So while I personally don't believe anything truly evil has been happening here (except for the way the owner has really let the original property die) I am always fascinated to hear your interpretations on the subject. So go ahead, have at it!

I hope you enjoyed this visual tour of some of the wonderful sights awaiting you at Turnbull Canyon.

Edited by subliminality

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Keel M.

• subliminality

• filmx2008

• DelawareRiot

Can't see any of those pics. Not one of them loads for me.

Sorry to hear about that Lady Kasey. Here's a direct link to my album: http://smg.photobuck...yon Road?page=1

Oh! and here's two more images I forgot to share:

360 hill! Although it's just a dirt lot today it used to have a concrete house foundation on it. The last time I went up there was in 1999 and the foundation was still there. Someone(s) had spray painted a large 6 sided star (star of david?) on the concrete and further up the way they wrote "you are safe, only good magic is here" on the ground as well. 360 hill was a well known nighttime hangout for all types of people. Perhaps that is why the remains of the house were ripped out and left to be just another dirt area.

3602_zpsafa00710.jpg

Here's the entrance (at the end of Skyline drive) where you can access the trails and fire roads. Don't blink! Because if you do you just might walk right past the small entrance to the left that goes to 360 hill.

360_zpsef37a634.jpg

Edited by subliminality

I see why now. I can't view anything on Photobucket while at work. :( I'll have a look-see later when I get home.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about that Lady Kasey. Here's a direct link to my album: http://smg.photobuck...yon Road?page=1

Oh! and here's two more images I forgot to share:

360 hill! Although it's just a dirt lot today it used to have a concrete house foundation on it. The last time I went up there was in 1999 and the foundation was still there. Someone(s) had spray painted a large 6 sided star (star of david?) on the concrete and further up the way they wrote "you are safe, only good magic is here" on the ground as well. 360 hill was a well known nighttime hangout for all types of people. Perhaps that is why the remains of the house were ripped out and left to be just another dirt area.

3602_zpsafa00710.jpg

Here's the entrance (at the end of Skyline drive) where you can access the trails and fire roads. Don't blink! Because if you do you just might walk right past the small entrance to the left that goes to 360 hill.

360_zpsef37a634.jpg

The Six Sided Star was a Hexagram, not a Star of David. Used in many occult rituals. If it said only good magic was used there, that means they practiced white magic with this symbol. Interesting stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. I'lll have to read your opening post later. :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is all very interesting information but I've done my share of research as well. I'm 34 years old and have been quite fascinated with this location. A few years back, I interviewed an old lady I saw walking in the canyon. She was nice enough to explain the legends as she's lived there for over 60 years and I was armed with a video camera. She requested that I do not capture her image so I let the camera record sound. Turns out, when I got home to review footage the entire interview was not captured. I'm a film student and know very well how to use my camera. I found that quite odd. Perhaps a mistake on my part, or not. I don't believe in the paranormal but quite frankly, I feel an evil presence when I'm in those canyons. I do want to know who is residing behind those gates. I've heard of the rash bowls aka jungle bowls that people used to skate back in the 90's and been trying to find the exact location. What other info do you have of the property on descending drive? Do you think that the old compound is or was in fact the insane asylum? Feel free to email me at mdotfelix@gmail.com

Whatever goes on in Turnbull Canyon, it's one strange paranormal place and we're all gonna have to dig into the mystery. Looking in a map, the canyon is not completely build-up by the surrounding sprawl. There is a hiking trail in Turnbull Canyon where I guess some people might seen or encountered strange things...and a mountain bike trail for bicyclists, with the results are the same.

In fact, Turnbull Canyon was in my book Weird California and featured on the Weird US web site, so the place was known in paranormal investigations.

http://www.weirdus.c...urnbull_canyon/

Edited by Mike D boy

I know the canyons very well. Very active with hiking and mountain bikers. For the most part, its a very beautiful canyon with much to explore. Having said that, unless you're there you won't understand the feeling or presence that overcomes you.