Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

4year-old girl fatally shot from inside a car

Commander CMG

• 6-year-old brother may have accidentally pulled the trigger
  • Police believe it was an accident, but mysteries remain
  • Two other young children were in the car and an adult stood nearby at the time of the shooting, but these pieces and others have yet to tell a whole story

A 4-year-old girl was fatally shot while sitting in a car parked in the driveway of a home and investigators believe the shot was fired from inside the vehicle.

arrow3.gifView: Read More

• Like 1

So sad, that poor kid :( And if it was indeed the 6yr old I feel so sorry for him, having to live with that.

Who the hell leaves kids alone in a car with a loaded gun? Someone is responsible for that little girls death and it sure isn't her brother :(

• Like 5

So sad, that poor kid :( And if it was indeed the 6yr old I feel so sorry for him, having to live with that.

Who the hell leaves kids alone in a car with a loaded gun? Someone is responsible for that little girls death and it sure isn't her brother :(

Most likely a careless parent. Is jail time justified if that is the case? I can't imagine any punishment being worse than just waking with that memory every day.
  • Like 3

This is what happens when you leave loaded (and unloaded) firearms around children. Lock them up or keep them secure.

I mention the Unloaded part because if a child gets there hands on an unloaded weapon the will think that all guns are like this and nothing bad will happen (it takes some time for a child to realize danger unless they themselves have been directly hurt, such has they touch a hot stove).

do not leave guns laying around.

~Thanato

• Like 5

This is what happens when you leave loaded (and unloaded) firearms around children. Lock them up or keep them secure.

I mention the Unloaded part because if a child gets there hands on an unloaded weapon the will think that all guns are like this and nothing bad will happen (it takes some time for a child to realize danger unless they themselves have been directly hurt, such has they touch a hot stove).

do not leave guns laying around.

~Thanato

I agree. Keep your firearms locked up!

• Like 3

I agree. Keep your firearms locked up!

So why not regulate this? This is what gun control is actually about.

• Like 2

it is regulated, it is illegal already, there is a law on the book. more than 1 i'm sure. what more of "gun control" are you implying.

what mesures are you suggesting that will affect those that disregard laws, and wont affect those that follow it.

something practical, not just "gun control" a hypothetical hot air phrase, that you keep mentioning all the time.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2

Use common sence

• Like 2

My kids(3 girls)were all handling and firing a variety of weapons at 7- 10 years old which they throughly enjoyed. As well they were instructed in the safe handling and storage of those same weapons and as a result I knew I will never have to worry about something like this nightmare happening to them. They understood and respected firearms and now,as adults I believe the education I provided when they were so very young has done nothing but benefit them.

My point being that hiding firearms from children just makes them more curious and unprepared if they do get their hands on them resulting in a tragedy just like this.

• Like 2

My kids(3 girls)were all handling and firing a variety of weapons at 7- 10 years old which they throughly enjoyed. As well they were instructed in the safe handling and storage of those same weapons and as a result I knew I will never have to worry about something like this nightmare happening to them. They understood and respected firearms and now,as adults I believe the education I provided when they were so very young has done nothing but benefit them.

My point being that hiding firearms from children just makes them more curious and unprepared if they do get their hands on them resulting in a tragedy just like this.

Teaching a child of age 7-10 to properly care for and respect a firearm under strict supervision is a lot different than leaving a gun laying around where a toddler can get at it.

• Like 2

OK. I can see a constructive point of that, if done responsibly, which apparently you have.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

:tu:

My dad brought up me and my sisters around guns and we KNEW better than to touch them. Now, older children, 7 or 8 year olds can be taught to respect guns and know they are not toys. Young children (toddlers) really don't know any better. With younger children you should really lock up your guns in a gun case, like me and my husband do. I NEVER EVER EVER leave a loaded weapon where my son can get it.

Poor baby... I hope she did not suffer.

Of course she suffered, she is dead. She is just a statistic now that adds to the argument about Gun control.

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people" but guns sure as hell make it easier."

But we have to remember, we all know that we can't protect our families unless we have guns.

Edited by xsas

She is just a statistic now that adds to the argument about Gun control.. of course she suffered, she is dead.

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people" but guns sure as hell make it easier."

But we have to remember, we all know that we can't protect our families unless we have guns.

I am alive today or maybe not severely mentally and physically scarred, because of a gun and a big dog, against three men while hiking in the woods alone. Some people may say I shouldn't have put myself in that sort of situation, but I enjoy nature and the solace of the local mountain range. The danger is not only human, even though I've never had to shoot an animal. Using a weapon is always a last resort.

People have to remember, women don't always have a big strong man available to take care of them.

• Like 1

That really isn’t an argument for having a gun freely available..

I am sorry to hear about your experience but 3 aggressive men would normally be more than enough to combat a big strong man if he was with you. Perhaps the gun gave you an advantage, just the same as it would if you were attacked by Wolves or a bear.

Damn I could keep you awake for days, telling you stories on how guns saved my life, but my point is.. GUN CONTROL.

I remember watching a TV advert back in the 70s, a group of kids playing hide & seek.. one little kid decided to hide under ‘mum & dads bed’ and they saw a pistol, hidden for protection, but this kid didn’t know that and then decided to play cowboys & Indian’s or cops & robbers.. he grabbed the gun and shot his friend..

He didn’t know it was real.. another statistic?

• Like 1

That really isn’t an argument for having a gun freely available..

I am sorry to hear about your experience but 3 aggressive men would normally be more than enough to combat a big strong man if he was with you. Perhaps the gun gave you an advantage, just the same as it would if you were attacked by Wolves or a bear.

Damn I could keep you awake for days, telling you stories on how guns saved my life, but my point is.. GUN CONTROL.

I remember watching a TV advert back in the 70s, a group of kids playing hide & seek.. one little kid decided to hide under ‘mum & dads bed’ and they saw a pistol, hidden for protection, but this kid didn’t know that and then decided to play cowboys & Indian’s or cops & robbers.. he grabbed the gun and shot his friend..

He didn’t know it was real.. another statistic?

That is why we have laws already in place...gun control. The laws don't stop the people that aren't willing to follow them. Criminals are given a slap on the wrist for crimes commited with a gun. Until there are harsher sentences for people that commit crimes with guns, or actually kill people, you aren't going to convince the average citizen to take them seriously and be more careful.

• Like 4

I have to agree the criminal in this case is the parent who left that gun in the car.

I've heard of the same thing actually happening with dogs. hunter puts loaded shotgun in back seat, dog steps on trigger and shoots idiot hunter.

Talking regulation makes me think if we should regulate kitchen knives, or pool cues, or chainsaws, or screwdrivers, or any of hundreds of objects that parents should keep out of the reach of toddlers and little kids, or at least not let them play dangerously with...

• Like 4

I have to agree the criminal in this case is the parent who left that gun in the car.

I've heard of the same thing actually happening with dogs. hunter puts loaded shotgun in back seat, dog steps on trigger and shoots idiot hunter.

Talking regulation makes me think if we should regulate kitchen knives, or pool cues, or chainsaws, or screwdrivers, or any of hundreds of objects that parents should keep out of the reach of toddlers and little kids, or at least not let them play dangerously with...

We collect antique tools which are displayed in one room. We have never had children and our house isn't kid friendly by any means. We make it clear to anyone, that if they bring a child into our house they need to keep said child with them at all times. We've had to be what most people would consider rude, but if it keeps a child from loosing a finger to a pair of sheep shears, or some other dangerous instrument, I prefer they leave with all of their digits intact. If they can't control their children they don't need to be in our house.

• Like 2

Right. Parents need to teach their kids what is dangerous and what is not. And that should include guns. We teach them that knives are dangerous and fire and lawnmowers and light bulbs and glass bottles. So why do people not teach kids that guns are dangerous?

• Like 1

Now I don't like guns, I live in the UK so don't have one. But I know people here who would legally be allowed to own one if we lived in the US and personally I wouldn't trust them with a spoon!

But if I lived in a country where guns were as common as they are in America, I would take the above choice with regards to my kids. Even if I wasn't going to have guns in the house, it's possible that kids will come in to contact with them at relatives or friends houses. And knowing that guns are a dangerous weapon that needs to be treated with respect, not a toy to be played with, is probably a very important thing for kids in the USA to learn. And like the above post, learning quite young too.

• Like 3

Use common sence

Goddamn nixon as much as we have never seen the same point on things,and i never really get quite what the hell you are trying to make a point of in your 3 or 4 word sentences,you actually should have had the last word on this whole topic ;)

Who would have ever thought it was a bad idea to leave a 6 year old with others younger than him alone in a car with a loaded gun?Sorry flombie this doesnt have a damn thing to do with gun control,this is a common sense issue only so lets not start that here!

The parent or owner of the gun should be charged with murder by stupidity,no excuses for things like this!

• Like 3

Of course she suffered, she is dead. She is just a statistic now that adds to the argument about Gun control.

Thats the thing, they asume everyone; who uses a gun is resposible. Not everyone is resposible and should not own a gun.

Leaving a loaded weapon in a car full of kids? People that can't be responsible with weapons have no business owning them. I wonder how many times this idiot parent had need of a gun while driving around with a car load of children that he/she felt a gun would be needed this trip? I say the person that left children alone in the car with a weapon should be charged with negligent homocide or some such crime. I understand that the parent will already feel punished enough losing a child in such a terrible way American's need to get the message that with the right to keep and bear arms should go hand in hand with keeping and bearing arms responsibly. Time to start making examples. Guns are not so you can feel tough or cool and not handling, storing, or carrying a gun responsibly does not make you more safe than if you didn't have a gun at all.

My sympathies and prayers go out to this family.

• Like 1