Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sleep Disorder Makes People See 'Demons'

Still Waters

that's pretty scary stuff, good thing it went away, but I'm confused.. What if you still get paralyzed when sleeping on your side? This only happened to me once and it scared the heck out of me cause I wasn't expecting sp to kick in while laying on my side, it usually happens while I'm on my back. I think I've been paralyzed while on my stomach once too, and freaked cause I felt a hand on my head and another trying to slip the sheets off, maybe the notion that sp only occurs while sleeping on your back is a misconception

I will have to look into it.

My best answer would be to remain calm and do as csspwns has noted.

• Like 2

I've had so many hypnagogic experiences in my life that I don't even bother reading about stuff like people being abducted by aliens out of their beds. I've even had conversions with these "demons" who looked completely real to me.

The funny thing: I wear glasses. I shouldn't be able to see them at all when I'm in bed!

I've avoided sleep paralysis by sleeping on my sides or stomach.

I would love to know how to do this. I always wake up on my back.

The funny thing: I wear glasses. I shouldn't be able to see them at all when I'm in bed!

You weren't awake by that time. You saw with them through your 3rd eye, you don't really see them.

There is a little bit more to it than just hullucination. I don't agree with demons, but paying attention to the prallels of experiences across culture and time reveals some interesting information. These interviews are intriguing.

You weren't awake by that time. You saw with them through your 3rd eye, you don't really see them.

I don't have a third eye. There are only two lenses in my glasses.

I experienced this twice about 5 years ago, and both times were within the same month. The first time I was very frightened, I saw a dark figure which at the time I believed was a demon or something of the sort and it was across the room from me, I could not move or speak and it came towards me and reached out and that's when I felt extreme pressure on my chest and could not breath. I just lied there paralyzed watching it 'absorb my soul'(the best way I can describe the experience lol). I am pretty sure I fell back asleep afterwards but I can't really remember. The second time I felt more in control and although I couldn't speak or move once again, I did think in my head "No! Go away! You're not taking me!" and instead of come towards me the dark figure drifted away and the sunlight appeared from the window. Very weird whatever it was that happened but it hasn't happened since so I'm grateful for that!

Not all of these things are hallucinations. Some are quite real. I will not say any more. I will give you a link to further your research, instead:

http://montalk.net

Happy hunting!

Because you can not.

I love the " I know " replies, with all of the excuses as to " why I can not or will not prove it ".

• Like 1

Same post you always make, Sakari. We all know that you want proof and look for it, but it's not going to ring your doorbell unless you have one.

I experienced this twice about 5 years ago, and both times were within the same month. The first time I was very frightened, I saw a dark figure which at the time I believed was a demon or something of the sort and it was across the room from me, I could not move or speak and it came towards me and reached out and that's when I felt extreme pressure on my chest and could not breath. I just lied there paralyzed watching it 'absorb my soul'(the best way I can describe the experience lol). I am pretty sure I fell back asleep afterwards but I can't really remember. The second time I felt more in control and although I couldn't speak or move once again, I did think in my head "No! Go away! You're not taking me!" and instead of come towards me the dark figure drifted away and the sunlight appeared from the window. Very weird whatever it was that happened but it hasn't happened since so I'm grateful for that!

Both times you were have the usually SP that most other people have but the second time you were probably more awake and not as fuzzy headed as the first time because you were having a lucid dream and you were able to think straight enough to use the power of suggestion to will your dream demon away. Nice job :clap: Edited by csspwns

I haven't had sleep paralysis in maybe 2 years. I also never see demons and the closest I got was having trouble breathing. I think there are also ways to purposely have sleep paralysis because last night I deliberately slept on my back to try to have sleep paralysis and I accomplished it! When I woke up I couldn't move and I couldn't lift my eyelids but I was breathing okay. No demons or shadowy things though I'm not sure why my experiences are different for other peoples' :unsure2: And I woke up by pinching the fleshy part of my inner thigh. :lol: From yesterday's experience of SP I realize that I actually enjoy SP when I could breath without any pressure on my chest or air way. I feel all heavy and warm and fuzzy and comfortable. :D Yeah I enjoy sleep paralysis I'm such a weirdo. <_< Problem? Bring it on :gun:

Edited by csspwns

Rolling your eyes also works to break you out of trance. Hint your eyes are not pralyzed ;)

• Like 1

Rolling your eyes also works to break you out of trance. Hint your eyes are not pralyzed ;)

Your toes and your breath also aren't paralyzed

• Like 1

Not sure I really believe in night terrors where people hallucinate. If it was in the mind, I would have thought we'd all suffer it and I've never had an episode nor do I know anyone who does. No doubt there's probably a few people who make it up/exaggerate as with anything but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of cases have a more sinister explanation.

So... you don't believe in hallucinations, or mental aberrations you haven't personally experienced? hmm...

Also, don't be too sure no one you know has experienced it. I've never bothered mentioning it to most of my friends or acquaintances.

--

Anyway, I don't think I've ever had sp but I've certainly had night terrors on and off since I was young. I think it's probably the workings of my brain, rather than anything external. I had them really badly every night up until a point where I went through an internal process that involved me becoming aware of certain mental states and beliefs that were feeding it, and being quite ruthless with them.

The basic mechanism still happens in stressful times - of me waking up and interacting with entities that (probably) aren't there... until after a few seconds I come to my senses or go back to sleep ... but it's more like the night-somewhat-creepies.

It also happened a couple times when staying with different friends, gave one of 'em a good scare lol. That time surprised me because I had no recollection of it, but it must have been pretty creepy to watch- because that friend was totally rattled when he asked me about it in the morning. He asked about meditations I had mentioned I used to do, and I had to try set his mind at ease that I didn't think I'd 'woken some kind of demon'. I wish I could have gotten a proper account of the event out of him, but it wasn't forthcoming.

I must admit, I would have relished it. Unless I embarrassed myself.

• Like 1

I don't have a third eye. There are only two lenses in my glasses.

It's a very tiny eye on your "second head."

Harte

What do you call it when you are wide awake standing on the bed screaming at a demon or something? I've had sleep paralysis before and I know what it is but this was nothing like that. It happened in a apartment I use to live in.

Thats how I feel sleep paralysis is different.

But I wont say demonic activity and sleep problems dont coincide, in my experience that is true. Ive only had SP like 3 or 4 times, but thats enough to know what it is. My sleep problems were nightmares.

The reason I feel there are paranormal reasons for SP / demons etc.. as apposed to just constructs to your mind / dreaming etc is because (for me) when I was having these problems poltregeist activity was also present. This is activity shared with more than just myself and affected my house, not just my dreams. Plus I saw the demons while awake and other things while awake on other occasions.. I do think it not unattached to our minds though because if that were the case how could it infiltrate our dreams and SP when it does happen. And like i said it caused nightmares for me... Its all quite interesting IMO.

I also think it is significant to the experiencer as a natural occurance at the time of its happening. Of course it will be thought about and analyzed but some things in life I believe are for us to take at face value. I think a lot of people try a million and one ways to undescribe what they've experienced...

The reason I feel there are paranormal reasons for SP / demons etc.. as apposed to just constructs to your mind / dreaming etc is because (for me) when I was having these problems poltregeist activity was also present. This is activity shared with more than just myself and affected my house, not just my dreams. Plus I saw the demons while awake and other things while awake on other occasions.. I do think it not unattached to our minds though because if that were the case how could it infiltrate our dreams and SP when it does happen. And like i said it caused nightmares for me... Its all quite interesting IMO.

I also think it is significant to the experiencer as a natural occurance at the time of its happening. Of course it will be thought about and analyzed but some things in life I believe are for us to take at face value. I think a lot of people try a million and one ways to undescribe what they've experienced...

True.

However, on the other hand, the rational explanation is often more simple- for instance saying 'it's ghosts' gives the illusion of being the simple explanation, when that actually requires a whole giant yet illusive structure to reality that isn't straight forward at all.

I don't personally think ghosts exist, at least not in the popular way they are thought about, although there may be some other genuine weirdness that to us appears as ghosts. In a strange way 'demons' is a more interesting proposition to me, in that I'm intrigued by the idea of what other forms 'life' could take, if you boil it down to self propagating/maintaining patterns that manifest in reality. And, whether such hypothetical 'lifeforms' could occupy the exact same spaces and even utilize the same matter as us in some lateral sense.

In fact, in some ways... I'd almost kinda expect it.

I still think most of these sleep effects are more likely to be a thing of the brain (Firstly, if there's one point you'd expect to have these kind of effects, it'd be the point where you totally alter your perception of reality and brain functions, and switch off your motor functions: aka going to sleep. Secondly- It's hard to imagine what these hypothetical entities would be getting out of going around waking people up to give 'em a scare at night. Seems a bit of a waste of time. I'm sure even demons have better things to do).

An interesting subject nonetheless.

• 2 months later...

I think that the question should be is why when awakening into SP, one may have the feeling of something malevolent being around. why is it not something more pleasurable...it is all fine and well that we can give the experience a name.."you had midnight paralysis accompanied with hallucinations.." while still not understanding at to the where is the sensation rooted?...is it all just a figment of one's own imagination..or perhaps what one is having is taken place on a more subtle lower vibration, which in most systems of belief attribute most such instances to lower vibration yet just as real beings...given we barely know anything about consciousness and it's interpretation of what we consider to be reality..and given that we only see an extremely limited spectrum of light..could it be that there is more going on around us than we would want to know...we already know that the human mind has filters so one does not become stark-raving mad from being bombarded by a more intricate and yet disturbing reality?

• Like 1

yep it still doesn't explain the other phenomena of ghost/possessions/etc.

These things seem to occur frequently

http://www.dailymail...ssed-devil.html

If you do a thorough search, you will find a lot of these kind of stories, even videos of it occuring.

you might not believe in demons, but they believe in us

Let's see - the Daily Mail with a healthy dose of misogynistic Priestly **** shaming thrown in for good measure.

Is the Daily Mail your definition of "thorough"?

When filmmaker Carla MacKinnon started waking up several times a week unable to move, with the sense that a disturbing presence was in the room with her, she didn't call up her local ghost hunter. She got researching.

Now, that research is becoming a short film and multiplatform art project exploring the strange and spooky phenomenon of sleep paralysis. The film, supported by the Wellcome Trust and set to screen at the Royal College of Arts in London, will debut in May.

http://news.yahoo.co...-152946861.html

Very true.

Of course the "believers" are all going to come back and say, "yes, but mine is different."

Uh, no it's not.

• 3 weeks later...

When I was a teenager, I had this multiple times, to the point that I didnt sleep in my room for the whole summer as it happened quite often and was chilling. How I resolved it? I STARTED SLEEPING ON MY STOMACH AND IT NEVER EVER EVER HAPPENS THEN. The most terrifying? Well they all were but one particular one - maybe this is where "old hag" came from, is when I heard "a familiar sound" and this is a common trait, I heard lamp clicks, or casual soothing "callings" like if it were my mom or anything that wouldnt seem peculiar - almost like a trick. Upon hearing a familiar noise, that is when I would open my eyes and see that no physical being was there and I would be unable to move and feel a SUCTION FEELING FROM MY FEET (AS IF MY INNARDS WERE SEEPING OUT). It felt like it was a race with time to MOVE vs being sucked out from my body - LOL - Best way to discribe it. In reference to "old hag", the most terrifying time aside from the other common traits I just listed was a black sillouette of an old woman over me. Everytime it happened I was sleeping on my back. Strange thing is, you know it is an old woman even though its just a black shape. After that most terrifying experience while paralysis occurred and I tried to scream and franticly said my prayers I only fall asleep on my back by accident and it happens here and there over a decade (like twice) but never as terrifying as that summer where I had multiple and was just beginning. Again, it never happens when I sleep on my stomach.