Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Washing lights and darks

Ever Learning

every one has heard the rule of not washing dark or colourful clothes with lights but is this rule meant to be maintained forever?

when clothes are new, they should be washed separately but when they have been through the wash a hundred times the ink is not going to turn your clothes a different colour. so is not mixing dark and whites in this situation okay , cus i think it is and shouldnt be made to feel silly even when explaining the the logic to some one when they questioned me lol

what are your thoughts on this extremely interesting topic? ;)

Edited by Armchair Educated

I totally disagree! Darks and lights should always be separated ...... and moreover, colours should always be separated out into groups.

Stop being so slack and lazy with your laundry!

:angry:

:lol:

• Like 1

Hey, did you know red clothes are supposed to be washed by themselves? 3 loads: Light, dark, and red.

I think it depends on the clothes material. Cotton clothes bleed dye more than artificial materials (polyester).

• Like 1

Yeah, separate the laundry...unless you just don't care that your white/light clothes will end up dingy.

• Like 1

It can depend on clothes quality. Some like to bleed till they die.

We used to buy shirts and jeans at a cheap outlet. We found out why they were so cheap.

But I still feel dark denim and crisp white bedding do NOT belong in the same load. No matter how many times the jeans have been washed,

I think they still could possibly affect whites.

Hey, did you know red clothes are supposed to be washed by themselves? 3 loads: Light, dark, and red.

I think it depends on the clothes material. Cotton clothes bleed dye more than artificial materials (polyester).

That's true. I forgot I always do a red only load. Hubby hates pink undies! :w00t:

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

Blacks and reds definitely separate from other colors or whites.

I thought this was common knowledge to keep the light and dark colors separated.

Personally I try to was my clothes in cold water and on a gentle cycle if they aren't really dirty then air dry them.

While most clothes today may claim they won't bleed..they will. There is excess dyes as well as sizing chemicals so all new clothes should be put in at least a cold water, delicate cycle.

I only separate my jeans and sweatshirts from the rest of my washing, mostly because they are heavier and take longer to dry.

And if you want to keep the print on your favorite tee from fading, turn it inside out before washing!

• Like 1

What's all this 'darks' and 'lights' stuff???? :unsure2:

how-men-sort-their-laundry-filthy-but-wearable-meme.jpg?fit=600%2C9999

• Like 2