Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A question on where you stand on

markdohle

When reading Anthony Flew about his ideas on God, that he believed in late in life, was the God of diesm. He also stated that he did not want there to be an afterlife. Question: How many here do not want to exist after death? There are times when oblivion seems a pleasant kind of fate, until I understand that oblivion is not rest, it is non-existence. There are those who think that non-existence is something to be dreaded, others don't care, and a few look forward to it. Where do you stand on this?

I kind of think that the Afterlife is going to be a perceptual one, what you expect to happen is what will happen.

After seeing a ghost I feel for sure there is a afterlife. Boy am I going to have fun scaring someone when I get there.

• Like 1

i would love nothing more than to see everyone ive lost over the years again... will it happen i dont know and i wont know till that day comes.

I think it doesn't matter what I want, whatever's going to happen is going to happen, and I don't think I have a choice. If I do, it's surprise the tweet out of me, for sure.

When reading Anthony Flew about his ideas on God, that he believed in late in life, was the God of diesm. He also stated that he did not want there to be an afterlife. Question: How many here do not want to exist after death?

It is an impossible question, because you do not define what you mean by "exist". Exist how? That we do not exist in our current form after death is self-evident. Exist as some form of consciousness? Since we lose our conscious awareness every night in deep sleep (and even in the lighter dream-stages), what is the point? You cease to "exist" in that form every night of your life.

So what exactly do you mean by "exist after death"?

• Like 1

It is an impossible question, because you do not define what you mean by "exist". Exist how? That we do not exist in our current form after death is self-evident. Exist as some form of consciousness? Since we lose our conscious awareness every night in deep sleep (and even in the lighter dream-stages), what is the point? You cease to "exist" in that form every night of your life.

So what exactly do you mean by "exist after death"?

Good question. To exist means to stand out somehow, to be able to relate and grow. To merge with the inflnite, to loss ones sense of self would not be an afterlife per se, at least for me.

Peace

Mark

Perhaps oblivion might be preferable to some form of existence after the extinction of the physical body because if there is life after death or something approximate to existence after the extinction of the body life being perhaps an inadequate word to describe it then I would imagine it to be so far outside of our comprehension that calling it life in any sense we would recognise it is wholly inappropriate. Also if there is some way in which survival of consciousness is possible it could be completely different from the depictions of the afterlife which for so long religion has attempted to describe and who is to say that this life isn't as good as it gets which I find very depressing.

However the alternative of oblivion or nothings words which would often seem to suggest a form of peace or rest also present the existentialist horror of non existence which much like the concept of life after death is beyond our comprehension.

Since we lose our conscious awareness every night in deep sleep (and even in the lighter dream-stages), what is the point? You cease to "exist" in that form every night of your life.

If death can be likened to losing our conscious awareness every night when we fall asleep might it be possible that if are able to retain some level of awareness akin to lucid dreaming that we may able to survive in some vague sense of the word?

I was always taught that there is no existince what so ever after death, I mean I guess there could be an after life but I would be fine if I just ceased to be when I die

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x