Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

My chosen path

markdohle

My chosen path

I was watching on YouTube an episode of “Thinking twice”. This program host debates, some of which I find very interesting. I was watching one the other day about science and if it has done away with the need for God. Both sides were courteous in presenting their points and I enjoyed listening to them.

As I age I am beginning to understand how difficult it is for two opposing sides to communicate with one another, at least to the point where either side feels listened to. As a Christian I of course listened more closely to those who I agree with it and less so, though it was not intentional, to those with whom I did not share their views.

On the level of debate, I doubt truth will ever be found, though points can be made from one side to the other. It is a gift to be able to face opponents, to state points as well as to listen to their position and observations. It is of course all about language and how we interrupt others, which has it roots in our preconceived world view, or narrative, in how we deal and seek to understand reality.

Everything has been said I believe. Perhaps it is the intolerance that needs to be addressed that is often present when two different world views collide. It can bring out the worst in both sides of the fence. I believe that contempt is based on fear of the other point of view, even if it is unconscious. For it would seem obvious that people who think about their beliefs and keep them, have found good reason to do so. Why it is so hard to respect that is perhaps not so difficult to understand. My own inner life, my heart and my fears are good teachers in how easily I can fall into the same trap.

We all need to make ‘jumps’ for those we know and love if their world view is different than ours. I have non-Christian friends who are seekers after truth do that for me. For as a devout Christian, I do use language that reflects that when dealing with the mysteries of life. So why would I not expect that from those who come from a different perspective. None of us has to give in, or give up or beliefs when we respect the journey of others in their own journey of understanding. When heads collide, it is our egos that can cause all the trouble, since being in control and having all the answers is of great importance, while listening and dealing with the emotions that come with seeking to understanding others comes from somewhere else entirely. That is why anxiety can be present, for we walk on a path that is ever knew when we seek to understand others and to at least seek to listen to them.

I have chosen my path, I seek to deepen it, and I should give that right to others as well.

i wish i could think like this and probably give the impression that i do, but it pains me inside that some of my loved ones arnt christians.

Edited by Armchair Educated
  • Like 1

i wish i could think like this and probably give the impression that i do, but it pains me inside that some of my loved ones arnt christians.

I trust in God's love for all, and that prayers are seeds that are planted in the hearts of those we pray for. It is about letting go of control that is important, that is what I believe that causes so much inner pain and frustration.

peace

mark

arnt we meant to have pain and frustration though, we live in a unperfect world, where we are cursed to toil because of sin. its hard for me to not claim any control as Christians are meant to be fishers of men. if we believe in the victory of Christ and are going to celebrate his victory at the end, i would feel a better man for helping being part of the victory rather than not bearing my own cross.

i say this as a young christian and not to dissagree with you but hope i can view things clearer by your answer

Edited by Armchair Educated
  • Like 1

arnt we meant to have pain and frustration though, we live in a unperfect world, where we are cursed to toil because of sin. its hard for me to not claim any control as Christians are meant to be fishers of men. if we believe in the victory of Christ and are going to celebrate his victory at the end, i would feel a better man for helping being part of the victory rather than not bearing my own cross.

i say this as a young christian and not to dissagree with you but hope i can view things clearer by your answer

We often bring pain on ourselves when we follow the illusion that we can control an outcome when it comes to others. True, pain and suffering or a part of life, yet some of that is unnecessay since we lay it on ourselves. We are not called to judge or change others, we are called to show love and compassion and if asked to share our faith with others.

peace

Mark

• Like 1

We often bring pain on ourselves when we follow the illusion that we can control an outcome when it comes to others. True, pain and suffering or a part of life, yet some of that is unnecessay since we lay it on ourselves. We are not called to judge or change others, we are called to show love and compassion and if asked to share our faith with others.

peace

Mark

we dont have the power to convert others but we are meant to spread the gospel, god will reveal himself to those we try to convert. we dont judge others as jesus has passed judgement on us and wiped the slate clean. no one will ask for you to share your faith, the path to heaven is meant to be narrow by not being evangelical it will only decrease chances.

if christianity wasnt meant to be evangelical then the early christians would never of left the holy land but stayed.

jesus Christ did not say, ‘Go into the world and tell the world that it is quite right. ~ C.S. Lewis

Matthew 9:37-38 Then He said to His disciples, “The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. “Therefore beseech the Lord of the harvest to send out workers into His harvest.”

Acts 1:8 - but you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth.”

Matthew 28:19-20 – “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

Romans 3:23 - Our need for a Savior

for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Romans 6:23 - The free Gift

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

• Like 1

we dont have the power to convert others but we are meant to spread the gospel, god will reveal himself to those we try to convert. we dont judge others as jesus has passed judgement on us and wiped the slate clean. no one will ask for you to share your faith, the path to heaven is meant to be narrow by not being evangelical it will only decrease chances.

if christianity wasnt meant to be evangelical then the early christians would never of left the holy land but stayed.

jesus Christ did not say, ‘Go into the world and tell the world that it is quite right. ~ C.S. Lewis

Matthew 9:37-38 Then He said to His disciples, “The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. “Therefore beseech the Lord of the harvest to send out workers into His harvest.”

Acts 1:8 - but you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth.”

Matthew 28:19-20 – “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

Romans 3:23 - Our need for a Savior

for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Romans 6:23 - The free Gift

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Thanks, nice scriptures.

peace

mark