Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

LHC upgrade to enter 'new realm of physics'

Still Waters

Engineers have begun a major upgrade of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC).

Their work should double the energy of what's already the most powerful particle accelerator in the world.

BBC News is the first to be allowed to see inside the LHC - on the French-Swiss border - to watch the work being carried out.

Scientists believe the upgrade will enable them to discover new particles which will lead to a more complete theory of how the Universe works.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-21941666

The hadron collider is going to create a mini black hole that will go to the center of the earth and suck in the planet, so i think the hadron collider is a bad idea!

The hadron collider is going to create a mini black hole that will go to the center of the earth and suck in the planet, so i think the hadron collider is a bad idea!

You thinking doesn't seem to be such a good idea.
  • Like 2

Neither are your insults. Way to comment on the subject.

The Hadron Collider is a bad idea. Simple. Upgrading it now after such a discovery is pretty significant.

I guess they need it to go to eleven?

I think it's very minimal risk vs great reward.

My understanding is that the black holes that the LHC could create, which is the main concern I hear, are subatomic which pose no threat. Besides, if they created a massive black hole, would we even realize it?

Edited by ChewiesArmy

We're all gonna die by the name of science eventually.. atleast it'll be an instant exciting way to go.

Some people are simply afraid without any actual research into their fears. Makes me sad a little.

Edited by Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Neither are your insults. Way to comment on the subject.

The Hadron Collider is a bad idea. Simple. Upgrading it now after such a discovery is pretty significant.

Only because of your ignorance on the subject.
  • Like 1

Very cool!This machine and others like it may one day answer most of the unanswerable questions we humans currently have :tu:

The Hadron Collider is a bad idea. Simple.

Can you explain it for me because I don't get why?

Edit: And I don't consider myself overly simple, so I usually get simple things...

Edited by Timonthy

If at first you dont succeed in destroying the planet with a black hole....

Try doubling the power!

How came nobody can stop them!!!??? Please STOP them now!!!!

Why should somebody stop them?

What's good for life with a machine cost $100 millions ?

Why don't you try educating yourself a bit?

Firstly, science is an economy. A massive one. It creates jobs, generates money and drives progress.

Secondly, we have to experiment without knowing the outcome. We are doing now with quantum physics what people like Faraday did in the 1800s with electricity - and their experiments gave birth to the modern world. Imagine what these new physics will do?

No it isn't.

How came nobody can stop them!!!??? Please STOP them now!!!!

I didn't know caves came with internet access.

• Like 1

Why don't you try educating yourself a bit?

Firstly, science is an economy. A massive one. It creates jobs, generates money and drives progress.

Or a big waste of resource. Science may create job in some point, but it doesn't generate money, it's a spending of money in order to gain something. That thing might be priceless but it doesn't mean that everyone can take benefit from it.

Secondly, we have to experiment without knowing the outcome. We are doing now with quantum physics what people like Faraday did in the 1800s with electricity - and their experiments gave birth to the modern world. Imagine what these new physics will do?

I don't know, you tell me. What these new physics will do? Faraday did a good job, yes. But it didn't took him $100 million, he did with little investment.

What can you do after you can confirm if the higg boson exist or not? Nothing. Might as well pick a side and consider it exists or not exists to move on. Might as well concentrate with dealing current problems on Earth rather than some imaginary theory

Or a big waste of resource. Science may create job in some point, but it doesn't generate money, it's a spending of money in order to gain something. That thing might be priceless but it doesn't mean that everyone can take benefit from it.

I don't know, you tell me. What these new physics will do? Faraday did a good job, yes. But it didn't took him $100 million, he did with little investment.

What can you do after you can confirm if the higg boson exist or not? Nothing. Might as well pick a side and consider it exists or not exists to move on. Might as well concentrate with dealing current problems on Earth rather than some imaginary theory

Ya look how terrible the world is today because science invested in medicine.

Dude I hope you are trolling because if you are serious, than its really sad being you....

• Like 1

Ya look how terrible the world is today because science invested in medicine.

I'm not bashing science in general. But this hadron collider seems stupid, what the heck can you do with a "god particle" anyway. We advanced the physics too far that our technologies won't be able to catch up.

I'll say it again: science is an economy. It generates jobs and money, the world over. This isn't my opinion, this is just a fact.

What resources are they wasting? And don't you think that the "something" they gain can be of social, financial or technological benefit, or are you just being short sighted for the sake of it?

I don't know, you tell me. What these new physics will do?

Well, electricity created the 20th century. So use your imagination.

Faraday did a good job, yes. But it didn't took him $100 million, he did with little investment.

Are you saying that science is only worth it if it doesn't cost anything?

And "Faraday did a good job" might be understatement of the decade.

What can you do after you can confirm if the higg boson exist or not? Nothing.

I'm assuming you've not done much reading on the physics.

Might as well concentrate with dealing current problems on Earth rather than some imaginary theory

Oh dear.

1. $100m is pittance in the grand scheme of things. Its not even a quarter of the budget of an average blockbuster thats made these days, and yet I'm sure you probably went to see The Avengers and didn't think that money could be better spend on cancer research. The UK government has spent more on bailing out the banks in the last decade than they ever have on science, in all of history. And yet the results shape our society.

2. The people who work in physics aren't taking away funding, jobs and facilities from other "current problems on Earth" (whatever that means).

3. Every day life around us - from the internet you use and the computer you're typing away on to the hospital equipment you might one day need - were developed because of research done at Cern, where the LHC is. To sit there tapping away at your computer while being utterly ignorant of the science that gives you such luxuries is nothing short of hypocritical.

4. "Some imaginary theory" - see my comment about you not having done any reading.

I'm not bashing science in general. But this hadron collider seems stupid, what the heck can you do with a "god particle" anyway. We advanced the physics too far that our technologies won't be able to catch up.

So you haven't actually read or understood anything about it, but you're happy to come to a public forum and trash it anyway. Smart. And as for your last sentence... jeez, you just don't understand science, do you?

• Like 1

I know almost nothing about it but I hope some good comes of it.

That makes no sense whatsoever.

You don't really understand how research and development is hinged on science, do you? Where do you think the transistor came from? Or the optical fiber and the laser? Or all those other gadgets that you are using in your daily life? Maybe you should pack 'em all up and send them back and get your internet disconnected from your cave.

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 1

Im pretty sure back in the days there was a bunch of fools who claimed the brothers wright "invention" as a useless waste, then some idiots maybe also claimed computers to be useless and then some imbeciles who laughed at the internet. And now read what you wrote and then you can see how well you fit beween thise people :yes: ....no offense intended