Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is astral projection real !

redsquare

I have been hearing about this phenomena called astral projection/travel and I cant seem to get my head around it. I have many questions first being can anyone offer scientific fact to prove this theory ? How long has it been about ? If it is real why is everyone not doing it ? Has anyone every died attempting astral projection ? much appreciated to anyone who answers.

And lastly to anyone who claims they can astral project = how exactly do you achieve astral projection ?? as in what do you do to astral project ?? any stories about astral projection you wish to share please do :D

Again much appreciated to anyone who answers.

There is an astral projection thread on here that talks all about this.

I dont know if anyone has died trying to it but I think it is what people do when they die.

That is something I would like to know. I've read many posts on here about it. I know I use to dream that I would leave my body after I had went to sleep and go flying. I always assumed it was just a dream like so many other crazy dreams that you have.

I have been hearing about this phenomena called astral projection/travel and I cant seem to get my head around it. I have many questions first being can anyone offer scientific fact to prove this theory ? How long has it been about ? If it is real why is everyone not doing it ? Has anyone every died attempting astral projection ? much appreciated to anyone who answers.

And lastly to anyone who claims they can astral project = how exactly do you achieve astral projection ?? as in what do you do to astral project ?? any stories about astral projection you wish to share please do :D

Again much appreciated to anyone who answers.

Ap is real enough, it's the nature behind the phenomenon and labels at this debatabable. Science only works with physical phenomenon and methodologies the fall under phisophical materialism. If there is a non physical reality that we can experience it is only going to going to be the non physical part of us that can experience it. Methodologies based on materialism and empiricism are grossly inadequate for prooving such an idea. It's been around since prehistory.

Everyone does do it, just mot everyone is concious of it. Not everyone runs marathons either. There is a myriad of factors like anything else rangeing from natural ability, discipline, the ability to overcome certain issues.

No. I suppose Somone with a severely already weak heart could have been startled into a heart attack, but I have never heard of this.

No one knows. The traditional idea is that your soul is leaving your body, most people who have been doing it actually come to think that it's more like your awareness expands into the rest of the universe at which point you get to choose your egoic vantage point. But that is a very limited way of existing expanded conciousness has many forms and to use a label for the unlabelable... Layers.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=219629&st=0

Many recorded experiences here. Im almost done Recording my last journey but it's long. I havent had the time to get it totally down into words yet.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=2493

Edited by Seeker79
  • Like 2

It's real but there are always stubborn skeptics that make it out to be something that crazy people believe in. If you have an open mind and explore the concept properly you can experience it for yourself and get rid of your doubts. I was very confused about the concept myself but I made up my mind when I tried it because it is as real as wakeing life, tho I have only done it twice and the episodes were very brief, it feels like a lucid dream except your more...hmmm aware its hard to explain and you can see people that are still sleeping, it all depends on you if you want to believe in it

• Like 1

I have many questions first being can anyone offer scientific fact to prove this theory ?

I think the short answer is no.

And to kind of answer the rest of your questions, I would say "You are dreaming if you think astral projection is real" Or at least that is where my legs hang from this fence.

If you have an open mind and explore the concept properly you can experience it for yourself and get rid of your doubts.

I've experienced it and I still doubt because I have an open mind.

With a question like this, I'd say: it doesn't matter what other people say it's real or fake; all I can tell you is that it's a great experience that anyone can have; you can do it. Now learn to AP and go to bed!!!

• Like 1

Ap is real enough, it's the nature behind the phenomenon and labels at this debatabable. Science only works with physical phenomenon and methodologies the fall under phisophical materialism. If there is a non physical reality that we can experience it is only going to going to be the non physical part of us that can experience it. Methodologies based on materialism and empiricism are grossly inadequate for prooving such an idea. It's been around since prehistory.

Everyone does do it, just mot everyone is concious of it. Not everyone runs marathons either. There is a myriad of factors like anything else rangeing from natural ability, discipline, the ability to overcome certain issues.

No. I suppose Somone with a severely already weak heart could have been startled into a heart attack, but I have never heard of this.

No one knows. The traditional idea is that your soul is leaving your body, most people who have been doing it actually come to think that it's more like your awareness expands into the rest of the universe at which point you get to choose your egoic vantage point. But that is a very limited way of existing expanded conciousness has many forms and to use a label for the unlabelable... Layers.

http://www.unexplain...pic=219629&st=0

Many recorded experiences here. Im almost done Recording my last journey but it's long. I havent had the time to get it totally down into words yet.

http://www.unexplain...log&blogid=2493

thanks for answering all my questions good job. but I still don't get how people actually do it whenever they want. What techniques do people use to project there astral body ? Any techniques or stories would be much appreciated.

I think the short answer is no.

And to kind of answer the rest of your questions, I would say "You are dreaming if you think astral projection is real" Or at least that is where my legs hang from this fence.

I've experienced it and I still doubt because I have an open mind.

that's because your over thinking,and I don't think you can do it at will, or maybe some can but not me, it happens on its own sometimes

that's because your over thinking,and I don't think you can do it at will, or maybe some can but not me, it happens on its own sometimes

No its because I've been lucidly dreaming for 20 yrs and have had many experiences that people would count as being astral/obe(I have even called them that because of the nature of them). But at this point in time I don't see a major difference from lucid dreaming and there is no solid evidence that it is different(as far as I am aware). So anyone who would say that it is a separate experience from dreaming wouldn't really have an open mind.

Here is a wall of text. lol. These are some examples of why I think how I do.

I went out of body twice last night. Well I think so but both were quite different.

I woke up to go to the bathroom but I kept my eyes pretty much shut the whole time so I dont know what time it was. I was trying to stay as close to sleep as possible so I didnt look at the clock. I was still half dreaming about this seagull that had been using a pottery making machine(the spinning thing)to make something out of flowers as I was laying in a hotel bed in New York. He was a funny seagull and when he finished he slammed open the sliding door to outside to leave but could never close it apparently. So all the cooler air was coming in which made me get up and walk outside and know I was in New York(well I think NY).

Anyway so I had kept my eyes shut when I went to/from the bathroom because I wanted to go back into a lucid dream straight away.

In the first dream after that I was dreaming that I was with a person I knew, the first main love of my life and after talking for a little she laid down to rest, so I did as well next to her. And because I had been thinking about going lucid before, as soon as I closed me eyes in the dream I felt that I was in this stage to roll out of body.

So I rolled and came out straight away and then looked at my dreaming body that was in another place(the same place as in the dream). So it wasnt in my room but somewhere else. So that was different. Anyway I then just flew around and stuff for quite awhile but nothing too exciting. It was a long lucid dream/obe experience but I wont type that. I thanked God though while flying around.

Anyway eventually I woke up and I was in the stage again where I could roll out of body again. So straight after the dream(within seconds)I rolled out of body. This time though I couldnt see anything at all which was a first for me. I knew I was out of body because I could feel it and I was walking around my room but I couldnt see anything and it was like having my eyes shut.

So I jumped out the window in my room to explore and started flying when I was outside. After a minute of being in blackness my sight returned and I could see everything in my front garden. And I just flew around again and explored the neighborhood. I did end up flying to the city and landing on the tallest building which I based jumped off for a thrill. Sometimes when I fly and land I can find it tricky to fly again while falling so I tend to avoid doing that. But for a thrill I tested myself with a base jump and flew off maybe a quarter of the way down.

So I'm getting much better at flying and spend most my time doing that now.

Taken from here http://www.unexplain...4

So in the experience above you can see how to go 'out of body' in a dream which is not typical but is at least a technique of creating a double in a dream. lol(thinks of homers magic hammock). But the second half was pretty much your typical experience except it shows that because I could not initially see, my mind took a few moments to create the scene even though I felt I was out of body.

And here is another example..

Well its about an hour earlier than I usually get up, but I thought I'd type this while it was fresh in my mind.

I had a lucid dream last night which I turned into what people call an out of body experience. I know some people most likely wont believe me considering my postings in the 'how to summon evil spirits thread' and the timing but I said to myself a few days ago that I will try to get back into lucid dreaming and actually focus on it. I've been doing this for about 20yrs so I'm not bad at it and I've lucid dreamt 4 days in a row now but the other three night have been pretty boring and quick. The most memorable was on the 27th, I was running as I do like an animal and trying two different styles of running. One using both hands at the same time and the other more like a gallop, I was testing the speeds. Later I looked in the mirror to see myself naked and I had claws which was the thing that stood out in that lucid dream. My claws were short but very thick and sharp.

Anyway last night,or like about 20mins ago( I woke up at 6:11am) I dreamt I was near a pool somewhere and to keep it short(cause this part is dreamish)I saw my son who had very blond hair. My son doesnt have blond hair in real life so I knew I was dreaming. Then I was in my lounge room(I forget a small part of the start) and I talked with him and he looked alittle younger than he does in real life. I told him lets fly and I started to try with the swimming method which wasnt working too good. I looked at him and he was hovering a meter above the ground. So I used the thinking method to fly(where you dont move your body at all and only use your mind. I flew around the room like this explaining the thinking method was better.

Then next thing I know I'm in the blackness as if I have woken up but I know to stay very still at this time inorder to go back into a lucid dream. This time though I was being more aware of my body(I think because of the thinking method) and I started to rock my body side to side. I was laying on my left side and what I did was rock my body from the left over to my right. I was trying to pop out of my body during this black stage and I could feel it moving. I didnt hear anything but I did vibrate slightly. It felt like I was actually almost doing it in real life and I was kinda hoping I wouldnt find myself waking up on the actual groud in real life.

Anyway I rocked all the way over to the right and fell from the bed and onto the ground. I could see my hands were clearish but also solid and they were kinda light blue. I thought ok I'm out of body now and I thought what to do, so I walked down to my sons room to see him. When I got close to him he was wearing his old spiderman pj's(from years ago) and he looked about 6 years younger than he does. When I got close though he started to kinda shake like almost having a fit. I felt this was because I was close to him and it worried me so I walked out to leave him.

Then I went back into the blackness of the dream(as if I had woken up but had my eyes shut)but I stayed very still again and did the same thing. I was aware I was laying on my left side and so I rocked over to the right and fell/sucked out again onto the floor. It took ruffly about 30seconds to a 1 min. This time I thought I would check the actual time and I looked at my clock which said 2:31 am. I tested my reality by closing my eyes very briefly and opening them again to re check the time(this is a reality testing method) but it actually said the same thing, 2:31. This is quite rare for me and I've only had the time stay the same maybe once or twice before in the 20yrs I've been lucid dreaming. So I tried again and this time I turned away from the clock and looked at the wall and the back at the clock but it still said the same.

Anyway then I thought I would look out the window to see how much the sun was up and just what was outside. It looked about sunrise and more about 5am/6am ish. I noticed though I could see rusted parts of cars and planes that were scattered around. I'm not sure what that meant or where that had come from, maybe I read that somewhere and it stuck in my subconscious, I'm not sure. Anyway I thought I would then go look in the mirror in my bathroom, so I walked to the bathroom and on the way all of a sudden a very tiny white light(about 5mm in size)popped out from my chest and just floated there. It surprised me and when it did this I placed my hands together in a prayer manner and said a quick thanks(so I gave thanks to God very briefly). I dunno why I did this I just did.

Then as I walked to the bathroom it followed with me and I could see its glow illuminating my chest. I looked into the mirror but I didnt really focus on myself that much. I just looked briefly to see if I was animalish or not basically. I was naked as usual lol and I had the glowing around my chest but I couldnt see the tiny light just the glowing. Then I thought I would go outside the front door and I started to walk through the door hands first. My hands went through fine up to about my elbows and then I just stopped. I couldnt walk through and then I was pushed back. This was kinda different but I did try go through the door slower than I usually would. Usually I just jump through them fast and go straight through but this time I was walking hands first to kinda test it which I dont usually do. So sometimes if you do this in lucid dreams it can stop you(I think because you think too much about it) which is why I run/jump through them.

Anyway then I found myself back in the blackness as if I had woken up and had my eyes shut but this time I felt more awake so I opened my eyes to check the time. The time said 6:11am. So in dreaming/OBE experience the time said 2:31(but the sun was up) but in real time 6:11.

Now this experience would definitely come under astral travel/obe and it did feel different to a lucid dream. I freely admit that it does feel different, I've had these experiences before and if you search for obe with my name you'll find them, but I dont rock out of my body like I did just then. Sometimes I lift myself up using something around me or I just kinda leap up or just find myself in this style of experience. So this time my exit was different and more typical(?)of obe style. But in the end they are still very similar and are so close to lucid dreaming for me to not class it technically as lucid dreaming. (imo) . So I am a firm believer in them but I dont know if they are not just experienced during REM sleep(so dreaming sleep). The experience seemed pretty much the same but not as colourful to me.

I cant believe that took me an hour to type lol.

Taken from here http://www.unexplain...3

In this one though you can see where I tested my reality during the experience and the clock didn't change. This is rare and in most dreams it does change but I have had dreams where it hasn't changed and I haven't been able to prove I'm dreaming using a digital clock or by reading. When that happens its frustrating because you tend to get sucked in to wasting time just testing your reality. I remembered others where it did this which I didn't count above. You can also see the time difference from the obe/sleeping clock to the waking time straight afterwards.

So yeah this is a few examples of how to go out of body and why I keep an open mind on the subject.

Edited by Kazahel
  • Like 1

No its because I've been lucidly dreaming for 20 yrs and have had many experiences that people would count as being astral/obe(I have even called them that because of the nature of them). But at this point in time I don't see a major difference from lucid dreaming and there is no solid evidence that it is different(as far as I am aware). So anyone who would say that it is a separate experience from dreaming wouldn't really have an open mind.

Here is a wall of text. lol. These are some examples of why I think how I do.

Taken from here http://www.unexplain...4

So in the experience above you can see how to go 'out of body' in a dream which is not typical but is at least a technique of creating a double in a dream. lol(thinks of homers magic hammock). But the second half was pretty much your typical experience except it shows that because I could not initially see, my mind took a few moments to create the scene even though I felt I was out of body.

And here is another example..

Taken from here http://www.unexplain...3

In this one though you can see where I tested my reality during the experience and the clock didn't change. This is rare and in most dreams it does change but I have had dreams where it hasn't changed and I haven't been able to prove I'm dreaming using a digital clock or by reading. When that happens its frustrating because you tend to get sucked in to wasting time just testing your reality. I remembered others where it did this which I didn't count above. You can also see the time difference from the obe/sleeping clock to the waking time straight afterwards.

So yeah this is a few examples of how to go out of body and why I keep an open mind on the subject.

hmm that makes a lot of sence, I suppose the possibility of an obe actually being a lucid dream could be true, I have often thought about this notion endlessly in the past. It's hard to determine a lucid dream from an actual obe either way, the only difference to me between the two is that i get so overly exited in lucid dreams while I get frightened due to the intense feelings such as vibrations, air hitting my face really hard, and peculiar noises in what I believe to have been an obe. the concept does spark debate whether is lucid dreaming or an obe
  • Like 1

Have you ever been "dreaming" that you wake up with full consciousness, go out of your bed, take a moment to breath fresh air and the calmness around, and planning in your head what you are going to do next? Or you just happen to be in a random dream scene and realized that you are dreaming? Then the latter is not called AP.

From my experience, in AP, you have a better freewill than a dream. You can choose to sit in a same place and do nothing for 5 mins if you want to.

Have you ever been "dreaming" that you wake up with full consciousness, go out of your bed, take a moment to breath fresh air and the calmness around, and planning in your head what you are going to do next? Or you just happen to be in a random dream scene and realized that you are dreaming? Then the latter is not called AP.

I'm guessing by these questions you didn't fully read what I posted. And you don't need to explain to me what lucid dreaming is. :)

From my experience, in AP, you have a better freewill than a dream. You can choose to sit in a same place and do nothing for 5 mins if you want to.

This just depends on the amount of control you have. In a lucid dream you can either go with the flow of the dream or you can completely change it.

It is real, I've had it happen to me. It was the most amazing experience and I was conscious of what was happening, it was not a dream.

• Like 1

AP is real, the subconscious mind doesn't 'make stuff up' contrary to popular belief of just 'dreaming', the mind merely interprets the best it can of whatever its perceiving and experiencing, by the level of awareness, symbols and filters one holds. Besides AP is not reliant on a sleep state, a sleep state is just one of the easier ways to facilitate the shift/merge into a higher state of consciousness.

AP can get you to levels of consciousness that are beyond our 'everyday' physical clarity and comprehension, ie ego - that's the whole point, you are experiencing consciousness and energy beyond just its physical material dimension/expression. You simply need to experience it to understand it as their no describing it to someone who has yet to have their perceptions touched this way. There is no mistaking it when you are connected this way.

• Like 2

Besides AP is not reliant on a sleep state, a sleep state is just one of the easier ways to facilitate the shift/merge into a higher state of consciousness.

Yes but I guess that depends on what you call and class as an AP. Take for example below.. when asked the question..

"Hmm, is that "mental projection"? I think that was talked about in this forum. Cant remember "

It's been talked about many times in this thread. Meditation allows you to get into a similar alt state, for which projection can take place. I am projected right now as i write this and conscious in more than 2 places. It's a complete and utter myth that you need to be asleep or sitting there like a drone to project. The point is, you have a subtle body (tier of consciousness) already sitting on the astral dimension which is outside of the 3d physical level. EVERYONE has. It's where dreaming happens full stop.

The point is that in order to project 'consciously' it is a case of shifting awareness to that level and it can be done a in conscious awake multitasking state, by direction of intention, or you can be left to go there as you sleep/recall.

And I'm pretty sure I read you count MP as AP but not quite a full body projection?

Anyway..

AP can get you to levels of consciousness that are beyond our 'everyday' physical clarity and comprehension, ie ego - that's the whole point, you are experiencing consciousness and energy beyond just its physical material dimension/expression. You simply need to experience it to understand it as their no describing it to someone who has yet to have their perceptions touched this way. There is no mistaking it when you are connected this way.

Could you give the OP and others an example of what you mean here. Maybe take something from your journal.

Edited by Kazahel

The astral dimensions can be reached by a non sleep state, mediums regularly connect to these dimensions for example, it is not just dream states that allow your awareness to go there. Mental projection is one of many ways, remote viewing is another. But if you are able to shift your awareness out of this dimension and perceive it, and then time, distance and location is no barrier to you, then yes it is a from of astral projecting.

One example is when i have gone into an astral dream - i have the conscious awareness that i am projected and in this case that I recall i was in the third person, being shown someones life. The person was deceased and they were trying to show me certain things. A lot of info was exchanged and I was able to recall most of it upon waking. The level of clarity allowed me to experience their perspective from multi positions, something which is a rare thing to experience, something which goes beyond the physical level of clarity. Later that day I ended up doing a reading for someone who had contacted me and the same deceased person i connected to was the same being from the astral dream. Everything i told the person that i learned from the astral level was for them, it was all relevant and from their deceased relative.

I have had this scenario happen this way quite a few times, and i have used astral projecting both in the dreaming sense and woken sense to fulfil the role as the medium. My own guides also use the astral level to do the same with me.

Edited by bLu3 de 3n3rgy

The astral dimensions can be reached by a non sleep state, mediums regularly connect to these dimensions for example, it is not just dream states that allow your awareness to go there. Mental projection is one of many ways, remote viewing is another. But if you are able to shift your awareness out of this dimension and perceive it, and then time, distance and location is no barrier to you, then yes it is a from of astral projecting.

But couldn't this just be called visualization skills if someone was not sleeping at the time. See it's hard for me to tell what other people class as being AP or not, so what I might think of as visualizing could be classed by another as mental projecting/AP. Which means one might think it can be reached in a non sleep state while another might not.

The level of clarity allowed me to experience their perspective from multi positions, something which is a rare thing to experience, something which goes beyond the physical level of clarity.

I'm interested mainly in this part because I wish to understand what exactly you mean by 'experiencing their perspective from multi positions'. How is this level of clarity different from the 'physical level of clarity' ?

Later that day I ended up doing a reading for someone who had contacted me and the same deceased person i connected to was the same being from the astral dream. Everything i told the person that i learned from the astral level was for them, it was all relevant and from their deceased relative.

Yes but to play devils advocate couldn't it be likely that because the person contacted you(meaning they were keen.. umm I cant word it well.. they wanted a result)that they would see relevance simply because they wanted to find it. So it might not really be proof of an astral level because of the willingness of the one seeking a medium in the first place.

And if not, many of us have personal experiences which are out of the ordinary(you should know that I have too)but I'm not sure we can use these experiences to say whether or not AP/OBE is scientifically 'real' or just a type of dreaming/visualization/synchronicity

Edited by Kazahel