Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

JFK daughter Caroline 2B ambassador to Japan?

sear

Caroline Kennedy: is JFK's daughter cut out to be US ambassador to Japan?

She is no expert on the country, has little political experience, plus an annoying habit of saying 'you know' all the time

Appearance: JFK's daughter.

Who is she? JFK's daughter. Also: an attorney, editor, fundraiser and philanthropist.

And what is she up to now? She is finally getting involved in the family business.

Being ludicrously rich? No, she has been in that for ages. The other family business.

Tragic deaths? Again, no, and that is not really a business. Not a viable one anyway.

What then? American politics.

Ah, that. Now that is a business. Is she running for the Senate or for Congress? Neither. She is not running for anything, in fact. She is, however, being vetted for the job of US ambassador to Japan.

Does that mean she has been offered it? Yup, and she is expected to announce that she will accept the role as soon as the selection panel are satisfied that being the daughter of a former president doesn't mean she is some kind of spy or robot.

So why her? Because diplomacy runs in the family. Her grandfather Joe was once ambassador to the UK, and her aunt Jean was Bill Clinton's ambassador to Ireland.

But does she have any kind of Japanese expertise? Nope, not at all.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/shortcuts/2013/apr/02/caroline-kennedy-jfk-daughter-us-ambassador-japan

What's motivating this appointment?

Payback for Senator Kennedy?

Grooming Caroline for higher (elected) office?

And what would it mean for relations between the U.S. & Japan?

It's obviously the "who you know" thing.

• Like 2

I understand what CK might get out of it. It would be a bright spot on anyone's resume'.

What does Obama get out of it? Egg on his face?

CK undertook to run for elected office a while back, and as soon as things heated up a little, she dropped out.

I think she should stay out of the kitchen. Our relationship w/ Japan is too important.

• Like 2

I would think she isn't qualified for it. Being a offspring of someone like her father doesn't automatically make you a expert.

• Like 1

"I would think she isn't qualified for it." H

"But does she have any kind of Japanese expertise? Nope, not at all." guardian

I appreciate the harmony.

But that merely accentuates the question. Why CK?

"When the picture doesn't make any sense, a piece of the puzzle is missing." psychologist Joy Browne

A piece of the puzzle is missing here.

What's motivating this appointment?

Payback for Senator Kennedy?

Grooming Caroline for higher (elected) office?

And what would it mean for relations between the U.S. & Japan?

Wow. Jealous, much? Why not Caroline? Shirley Temple was a US ambassador. :sk

Wow. Jealous, much? Why not Caroline? Shirley Temple was a US ambassador.

"Jealous"

Me?

Of Caroline Kennedy (& her internal gonads)?!

Hardly.

I've heard of "penis envy".

I've never heard of "vagina envy" (or "ovary envy" for that matter).

I know little about CK.

But after hearing a brief comment from President Obama about the appointment, I gather it's an appointment made more in appreciation for her, than a logical selection for the office and its challenging requirements.

She may surprise us all.

But I don't expect much from her, if she ever ends up in the slot. (she's a quitter)

No way a failed politician with limited edxperience should be representing us in that part of the world.

If Obama wanted to play quid pro quo with her he should have sent her to some carribean island as ambassador.

Leave the important areas to the people who can handle it.

I hear there is an opening in Benghazi......

"Leave the important areas to the people who can handle it." CA

I agree.

Something about the appointment doesn't make sense to me.

Either Obama thinks more of CK than I do, or he thinks less of Japan than I do.

I totally agree. She is a lawyer, but is she familiar with Japanese law? I think it's a political payback thing because of who she is related to.

• Like 1

Obama hasn't made a single good choice with regards to foreign affairs so why start now.

"Obama hasn't made a single good choice with regards to foreign affairs ..." M1

Better than the guy he replaced.

The U.S. military invasion & occupation of Iraq was the single worst U.S. foreign policy decision in history.

• Like 1

Better than the guy he replaced.

The U.S. military invasion & occupation of Iraq was the single worst U.S. foreign policy decision in history.

You might want to study up on your history before making a statement like that.

"You might want to study up on your history before making a statement like that." M1

If you'll cite a worse one, I'll retract my observation.

You can't.

There isn't.

By quantifiable standard (you pick the units, $dollars, battle fatalities ...) the it's the worst.

The U.S. has made countless blunders over the centuries.

I know of none that's cost more; inflicted more injuries upon U.S. citizens (tens of thousands!), cost more in $U.S.*, and killed more U.S. troops than the U.S. military invasion and occupation of Iraq.

It is a War waged on false pretense. Even the Bush (younger) administration has admitted this. No WMD were found.

* Estimates on this vary.

Part of the problem in calculating it accurately is, the U.S. War in Iraq will be costing the U.S. tax payer for decades and decades to come.

Some of our returned (repatriated) military troops are severely handicapped, either quadriplegic, or comatose.

They'll need round-the-clock care for the rest of their lives. And sadly, there are lots, and lots, and lots of them.

• Like 1

If you'll cite a worse one, I'll retract my observation.

You can't.

There isn't.

By quantifiable standard (you pick the units, $dollars, battle fatalities ...) the it's the worst.

The U.S. has made countless blunders over the centuries.

I know of none that's cost more; inflicted more injuries upon U.S. citizens (tens of thousands!), cost more in $U.S.*, and killed more U.S. troops than the U.S. military invasion and occupation of Iraq.

It is a War waged on false pretense. Even the Bush (younger) administration has admitted this. No WMD were found.

* Estimates on this vary.

Part of the problem in calculating it accurately is, the U.S. War in Iraq will be costing the U.S. tax payer for decades and decades to come.

Some of our returned (repatriated) military troops are severely handicapped, either quadriplegic, or comatose.

They'll need round-the-clock care for the rest of their lives. And sadly, there are lots, and lots, and lots of them.

Are you kidding me? Google Vietnam and then get a real education. I suggest basic economics from a non-liberal school not steeped in Marxism, real history and not some bizarre truncated version and then. well, some life experience since I get the feeling you are a man child. BTW, Obama's presidential failures are far larger than his miserable record in foreign affairs.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

Wow. Jealous, much? Why not Caroline? Shirley Temple was a US ambassador. :sk

I agree totally 100%. Dennis Rodman should be appointed next by Obama to US ambassador to North Korea. He's at least demonstrated the ability to befriend the leader of their country without the use of force. Quite an accomplishment really when you stop to think about it.

Edited by acidhead
  • Like 1