Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

my new birdie :)

SpiritWriter

I love birds. I have had several lovebirds, I have bred them in the past... last year two of my lovebirds that I had raised from babies died on the same day in my hands.. it was really sad. I had given away the breeding pair as it was too much for me after a while but I gave them to a friend I am still partially in contact with.. I have since aquired a cockateil, usually these birds are social but I ended up with a dud, he is so boring, he just sits in one space and barely moves, he will only sit on my shoulder for like 3 minutes, sometimes more, sometimes less but usually less.

Anyway the breeding pair I gave away had a clutch (litter for birds) and I was going to get one but they all died! Then they had five more and I finally got one. Got it on Easter. At first I was worried because it is really small and shouldn't be seperated from its parents yet... but this is the stage they started dying last time. And since I have experience with birds I thought I would give it a try. When I got it home it was really hungry and I was able to syringe feed it baby bird formula very easily. He seems strong and alert and I am more confident now that everything will be fine. I have a little set up to keep him warm and a schedule for his feedings. He should have all his feathers and start eating on his own in about two weeks.

I already like him a lot. I think he's gonna make a great pet.

If any of you know about lovebirds they can be pretty awesome companions (they are the smallest parrots)when hand tamed from youth...

20130402_082811_zps5b492550.jpg?t=1364926516

20130401_143534_zpsa2b52997.jpg?t=1364855450

I haven't named him yet. I might call him RJ for Rayne Jr. (Daddy's name is Rayne) but still undecided.

:)

Thanks for letting me share.

Edit: and they are supposed to look like that, he just doesn't have all his feathers yet. I will post another one when he gets them all so you can see the difference.

Edited by SpiritWriter
  • Like 6

it looks so cute .. birds are awesome pets but they are very much to bond with

opposite of cats and dogs which can bond and get used to owner easily

i had lovebirds but they died not long after i had them beside i got them big so they didn't get used to me

but i have now a nightingale and it's so adoreable and used to me

it took nearly 5 months to make the thing get used to people

best thing is when it takes a bath in food plate filled with water .. that's so fun to watch :D

• Like 1

Awww he's cute :) I've never had a pet bird but my grandmother always had a budgie.

• Like 1

I keep reading "my new bride"

I gotta get my seeing eye glasses fixed ..

I read it the same way!

Aw, he looks so vulnerable. Love birds are so beautiful! Excellent color blocking! lol

I read it the same way!

Aw, he looks so vulnerable. Love birds are so beautiful! Excellent color blocking! lol

:lol:

india-fortune-teller-2009-6-11-10-20-56.jpg

SpiritWriter is gonna be wealthy ....

• Like 2

He's cute! :) My mum has a lovebird. She's a funny little thing and will snuggle up on our shoulders and run her face against our cheeks.

• Like 1

:lol:

india-fortune-teller-2009-6-11-10-20-56.jpg

SpiritWriter is gonna be wealthy ....

I like how you say "gonna be" like you know im not already...lol. On chinese new year, this year, some lion dancers came into a starbucks I was at and spit lettuce on me, that is also a sign of good luck and wealth.. that was just a couple months ago, so thank you third eye, I will go ahead and take your words as confirmation and receive my fortune.. ;)

Edited by SpiritWriter
  • Like 2

And thanks for the kind words about the birds... on my way home to feed him now. :)

I like how you say "gonna be" like you know im not already...lol. On chinese new year, this year, some lion dancers came into a starbucks I was at and spit lettuce on me, that is also a sign of good luck and wealth.. that was just a couple months ago, so thank you third eye, I will go ahead and take your words as confirmation and receive my fortune.. ;)

don't spend it all on ' boird feed ' .... :D

Lucky you with the lion dancers ... you must have been dressed in something red :tu:

don't spend it all on ' boird feed ' .... :D

Lucky you with the lion dancers ... you must have been dressed in something red :tu:

I dont recall...

42.jpg

"Hmmm, yummy. D'you do them oven-ready?"

• Like 2

I know what it's like to have a little bird living with me because I used to have a cockatiel. He watched every move I made, walked around my house like he owned the place, and was a lot of fun!