Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sleep on your back?

FlyingAngel

If you pay attention, all kinds of animals you've encountered always sleep on their stomach. So since when humans started to sleep on their back? Does that give any benefit to health and evolution trait?

I also heard that sleeping on your stomach is bad, so why it only applies to humans?

Edited by FlyingAngel
  • Like 3

one of my dogs sleeps on his back, weirds me out lol

hes got that small dog syndrom thing where he thinks hes better than the average dog lol

• Like 1

one of my dogs sleeps on his back, weirds me out lol

hes got that small dog syndrom thing where he thinks hes better than the average dog lol

Maybe he started to evolve, has some ego and become smarter

I always start to sleep on my side, but then I end up on my stomach, I also heard its bad for you. I think its harder on your back

I can't fall asleep on my back at all, no matter how exhausted I am. (I'm a side sleeper) One theory I read once said that it could be a survival thing from long ago because our organs are more "exposed" (or unprotected?) to an attack or threat while you sleep on your back.

I'm a restless sleeper. I sleep every which way and then some! That whole scenario can't be healthy.

i sleep on my back, stomache, and side just not on my left side since my shoulders banged up i find im more sore sleeping on my back personally

I can't sleep on my back either. I'm not sure why, I just don't.

I only sleep on my back. It is not a conscious choice, more like an instinct. It is very natural to me. Sleeping any other way is uncomfortable because it distorts my body shape.

If you pay attention, all kinds of animals you've encountered always sleep on their stomach. So since when humans started to sleep on their back? Does that give any benefit to health and evolution trait?

I also heard that sleeping on your stomach is bad, so why it only applies to humans?

i think we started sleeping on our backs when we start looking at the stars

How can they sleep on their backs without having their 4 limbs up? Pretty uncomfortable. I think we could alway sleep on our back; it's not something that evolved.

I can't fall asleep on my back at all, no matter how exhausted I am. (I'm a side sleeper) One theory I read once said that it could be a survival thing from long ago because our organs are more "exposed" (or unprotected?) to an attack or threat while you sleep on your back.

yeah and i read that people who sleep on their backs are more confident ....

So here are my guesses. Compared to other animals we humans have pretty good eyesight but our hearing isn't very good and our sense of smell is a joke. We rely more on our eyes to protect us than other species. We're safer when they aren't pointed at the ground. Pointing them up gives us quick visibility of whatever just woke us up. Our hearing is also improved when our heads are facing up.

Also animals have much less mobility than humans. When attacked while sleeping their best option is to quickly get on all four legs and run. We humans are good as dead on our hands and knees so this is no longer an advantage when we're sleeping. Even stranger, we can move around in limited ways on our hands and feet when facing up. No other animal can do this.

• Like 1

My two cats slept on their backs now and then. I have pet rats that do the same usually when it's hot. Wild animals Probably don't because it leaves them vulnerable. I don't think it has much to do with evolution. If you walk on 4 legs, it's easier to sleep on your tummy.

Seals sleep on their backs. Where dogs you hear that "it's not good to sleep on your stomach"? Infants should not be placed on their stomachs in cribs to avoid suffocation/crib death but other wise no other reason.

• Like 1

Maybe he started to evolve, has some ego and become smarter

No, it is an act of submission, to expose ones stomach is not done in a situation of fear or anxiety in the animal kingdom.

Peace

mark

The Vietnamese who can afford it in my not-so-humble opinion have the idea of sleeping down better than anyone else. First we have long bolsters that we wrap our arms and legs around (you get one your size when a baby and get bigger ones as you grow up). Then we have a pillow that shapes itelf to our head. Then we cool the room so we need a quilt, but don't use fans unless there is no mosquito screening. Then we make the room absolutely pitch black -- no l.e.d.'s anywhere, and as quiet as possible (no ticking clocks, sound insulation, etc.). The white noise of a well-maintained fan can help.

We try to follow the Buddha's advice: "Be aware that your bed is not too soft." (This applies to lots of things besides sleeping).

Also, get up at six or seven every morning, workday or not. When you go to bed depends on your needs -- sometime between ten and midnight (children at nine and sleep separately).

There is a wonderful Chinese herb (I shouldn't name it here) that helps those who have minor breathing problems and snore.

I generally don't sleep on my back unless I put a pillow or two under my knees. Otherwise it's not comfortable - it hurts my back.