Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wealth Distribution.

supervike

Sorry einstein! I swore you were supervike. But my opinions stand nonetheless.

• Like 2

That goes for any country in any time of history. Of course rich people have advantages and of course their kids do too. Aside from a few families out there somewhere, that wealth hasn't always been there. It started somewhere somehow in their lineage and so on and so on. Best you can do is try really hard, get really lucky, invent something people want en mass or go find a sugar momma and marry her and don't sign a prenup. Otherwise, do the best you can, be happy with your achievements and take care of your family and friends first. Worrying over other people's advantages won't get you anywhere. That's just how it's gonna be. If the world is ever to know of the elite SuperVanderVike family you must learn and achieve as much as you can, teach your kids to learn and achieve more and your grandchildren to do even more and eventually your family may become the cutthroat capitalistic fat cats that you currently loathe. Or, you're just going to have to get really lucky. Bottom line is there are always going to be relatively few rich in any society and most of us are born to do the daily grinds that truly make the world go 'round.

I don't think of it as being subservient...I think of how they would be whining and crying when they couldn't get what they wanted...and they do! People look down on plumbers until they can't flush. :passifier::whistle:

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

I don't think of it as being subservient...I think of how they would be whining and crying when they couldn't get what they wanted...and they do! People look down on plumbers until they can't flush. :passifier::whistle:

The essence of what I said is true though. I don't feel subservient one bit in what I do. The trade fields are certainly filled with less than desirable people but a good plumber can easily make $75/hour or more on his own. I feel good about what I do. I'm useful. If the world went to shlt I may serve a purpose still. I can build and fix shelter. What's Bill Gates gonna do? The world needs plumbers. I'm not a plumber by trade but I've stuck my hands near enough shlt to realize that people couldn't live in a world without them.

• Like 1

The essence of what I said is true though. I don't feel subservient one bit in what I do. The trade fields are certainly filled with less than desirable people but a good plumber can easily make $75/hour or more on his own. I feel good about what I do. I'm useful. If the world went to shlt I may serve a purpose still. I can build and fix shelter. What's Bill Gates gonna do? The world needs plumbers. I'm not a plumber by trade but I've stuck my hands near enough shlt to realize that people couldn't live in a world without them.

:D Plumbing isn't our business either, but I am extremely thrilled we can do it ourselves, among many other things. If the world went to hell we would be pretty self sufficient :tu:

What's with all of the envy in this country lately?

If you are reading this then you will NEVER EVER become part of the 1%.

yeah, they really are THAT rich.

So why no aspire to become part of oh, let's say 10%? Surely that's attainable through hard work, smart money decisions and maybe a little luck.

Not to derail the thread into a religious debate, but ENVY is one of the seven deadly sins as well as one of the ten commandments...

That goes for any country in any time of history. Of course rich people have advantages and of course their kids do too. Aside from a few families out there somewhere, that wealth hasn't always been there. It started somewhere somehow in their lineage and so on and so on. Best you can do is try really hard, get really lucky, invent something people want en mass or go find a sugar momma and marry her and don't sign a prenup. Otherwise, do the best you can, be happy with your achievements and take care of your family and friends first. Worrying over other people's advantages won't get you anywhere. That's just how it's gonna be. If the world is ever to know of the elite SuperVanderVike family you must learn and achieve as much as you can, teach your kids to learn and achieve more and your grandchildren to do even more and eventually your family may become the cutthroat capitalistic fat cats that you currently loathe. Or, you're just going to have to get really lucky. Bottom line is there are always going to be relatively few rich in any society and most of us are born to do the daily grinds that truly make the world go 'round.

Haha I couldn't agree more! I do not loathe them, I do not think they are evil or anything like that! I was just pointing out a fact that they (of course and obviously) have advantages over other people. It is hard to get rich, but it is also hard to stay rich. They can't just sit back and collect checks if they want to stay wealthy they have to manage their wealth and keep their children educated well and keep networking; stay involved in the community (great advice Michele!). Wealth can destroy a man who is unfit for it. Just watch one episode of "the lottery ruined my life" to see how this can happen :P

:D Plumbing isn't our business either, but I am extremely thrilled we can do it ourselves, among many other things. If the world went to hell we would be pretty self sufficient :tu:

I'd be screwed for food. I'd have to trade my skills for food. Suddenly trading stocks isn't going so well. Now who's on top? Being rich is desirable but it isn't important.

What's with all of the envy in this country lately?

If you are reading this then you will NEVER EVER become part of the 1%.

yeah, they really are THAT rich.

So why no aspire to become part of oh, let's say 10%? Surely that's attainable through hard work, smart money decisions and maybe a little luck.

Not to derail the thread into a religious debate, but ENVY is one of the seven deadly sins as well as one of the ten commandments...

You don't have to believe in the bible to understand its lessons. Greed, envy, sloth, lust and I don't know ATM but everybody experiences one or some of those but when you make any one a habit you push your luck.

Just watch one episode of "the lottery ruined my life" to see how this can happen :P

Everybody that watches that thinks what idiots those people are and how much more awesome and better they'd spend that money.

Everybody that watches that thinks what idiots those people are and how much more awesome and better they'd spend that money.

Of course they do, everyone likes to dream ;) I think that if you earn your money for yourself you are much more likely to appreciate it, spend it smartly, invest it wisely, and keep it than if you are given it, or win it.

Edited by Einsteinium
  • Like 2

Michelle, this is VERY true. My father in law is a plumber. They look down on you til their toilet overflows... :w00t:

I don't know why people look down on the guys that build their fancy homes, or do their plumbing or electricity or fix their fancy car...These guys are smart in a way that is useful. Book smarts never really got anyone, anywhere really...It's the people like this that keep are country GOING.

Edited by Kowalski

Michelle, this is VERY true. My father in law is a plumber. They look down on you til their toilet overflows... :w00t:

I don't know why people look down on the guys that build their fancy homes, or do their plumbing or electricity or fix their fancy car...These guys are smart in a way that is useful. Book smarts never really got anyone, anywhere really...It's the people like this that keep are country GOING.

I bet you would appreciate this little tid bit: In the early 19th century, one of the HIGHEST paid job was this: There were several "holes" in London where people would deposit "waste" :eww: and these guys would go out there and they have to dig this up, put it in a bucket, hoist it up, and then they would dump it. I saw this on "Worst Jobs in History." Not sure which episode it was, but they are ALL on Youtube.

So all of the people that scrimped and saved, from the time their children were born, so their kids could go to college and have a better life don't matter? What about the people who worked their own way through college? You are apparently unaware of all of the grants that are available to people who are willing to apply themselves. There are thousands of different grant programs from the federal to the state level and you can get several of them at one time. You can also get benefits from the state if you are going to school full time and can't afford to support yourself.

With 17.5 million students, I know for a fact the vast majority of them did not come from wealthy families.

The situation was similar in the UK up until recently but successive governments have roled back almost all of those entitlements such that you have to go into substantial debt to go into third level education.

Br Cornelius