Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Discovering Inferior Life Forms

No Censorship

We always see superior extraterrestrials in pop culture. They're years ahead of us in science and technology, and we look like Dark Age or Stone Age people in comparison. What if we went to a planet in the future, and its population was comprised of humans who were like people from our distant past (any time from prehistory to 1950)? What would the interaction between us be like?

• Like 1

Doubting that us 'modern humans' have the right to class any one or any thing as 'inferior'.

• Like 2

What if we went to a planet in the future, and its population was comprised of humans who were like people from our distant past (any time from prehistory to 1950)?

I guess people nowadays think 1950 is the distant past. That's when I was a kid, so what does that make me? An inferior species I guess lol.

I think we should just leave them alone. I'm wondering how our civilization would have evolved to today if a technologically superior species had landed on earth in the middle ages. Would they have helped us or made us slaves?

• Like 1

I guess people nowadays think 1950 is the distant past. That's when I was a kid, so what does that make me? An inferior species I guess lol.

As an elder gent, SMK would you say that the younger generation are morally bankrupt? My mother's generation (born in the 30's) seem to think so but I'm suspicious that maybe our elders have thought that way, since time immemorial.

I think

We always see superior extraterrestrials in pop culture. They're years ahead of us in science and technology, and we look like Dark Age or Stone Age people in comparison. What if we went to a planet in the future, and its population was comprised of humans who were like people from our distant past (any time from prehistory to 1950)? What would the interaction between us be like?

I think that you should watch the full Stargate series! :yes: Has a lot of that...

• Like 2

I think we should just leave them alone. I'm wondering how our civilization would have evolved to today if a technologically superior species had landed on earth in the middle ages. Would they have helped us or made us slaves?

From what i can make out, they'd have put up a few Walls, and maybe built a few pyramids, and then wandered off again leaving no one any the wiser ...

I think maybe that would be what we ought to do. Leave them with something to wonder about, and it might give them material for a few hundred pages discussion on Internet discussion forums when they get around to devloping them!

• Like 2

As an elder gent, SMK would you say that the younger generation are morally bankrupt? My mother's generation (born in the 30's) seem to think so but I'm suspicious that maybe our elders have thought that way, since time immemorial.

Well, going off on a philosophical tangent, which generations was it that were responsible for the first World War, or for bringing all those lovely dictators that so brightened up the world in the 30s to power, or Pol Pot? The Younger Generation tends to be rather more skeptical about the promises of Politicians and would-be leaders of all kinds, and if you want to look at mroal bankruptcy surely that's here you ought to look.

• Like 2

I wouldn't wish this curse of "normal" to any other race let alone species.

It's one of those quests that you can't really say yay or neigh without knowing who is doing it. We have a long time before earth can be big kids and share our tonka trucks and abandon the factory lines.

Oldies, I wouldn't be too fast to bash the young. You worked retail lately? my god it doesn't matter what variable about a person is different 75% of people don't deserve to breath air with their attitude towards the outer world.

• Like 1

when we do - what we need to do is build a few puramids, give them an understanding of a random extra-system star system and then periodically graffiti their cereal crops. Apparently it's what we're meant to do.

• Like 4

Well, going off on a philosophical tangent, which generations was it that were responsible for the first World War, or for bringing all those lovely dictators that so brightened up the world in the 30s to power, or Pol Pot? The Younger Generation tends to be rather more skeptical about the promises of Politicians and would-be leaders of all kinds, and if you want to look at mroal bankruptcy surely that's here you ought to look.

I never asked you! (lol)

I'm not sure really. Part of me says leave them alone to advance themselves and write their own history, especially if they were VERY behind but (assuming they weren't nasty critters) we could always share technology and help advance them if they weren't too far behind. That'd be nice of mankind, wouldn't it? Would almost make you proud we, as a race, did something good for a change. Plus, even if we considered them "behind", it's a whole different world, they're bound to have discoveries, inventions etc that we don't have.

I'd find it really cool if we discovered a race just about technologically advanced as us, though; not too ahead and not too behind. A sister world, that'd be fab.

That makes a good deal of sense. It could also explain why there isn't an overt extraterrestrial presence on this planet already. When we progress somewhat, socially, probably at least partly due to covert ET influence, we may be openly contacted.

I'd think that any sharing of technology would have to be very carefully managed, to prevent us doing harm with anything they'd given us.

It seems possible that the contacting ET culture wouldn't be too far technically and socially advanced beyond ourselves. We'd have the most in common with such beings, and probably interest them more than we would a race that was billions of years our senior.

• Like 2

What if we went to a planet in the future, and its population was comprised of humans who were like people from our distant past (any time from prehistory to 1950)

Canada?

• Like 3

Canada?

You might catch a bit of flak from the resident Canadians around here but that was damn funny! :w00t:

It seems to be true that all generations consider their youngers to be worthless. I was lucky to be young in the late'60's and '70's during the revolution. All the social protests and the new music was invigorating. Since then everything has settled down to blandness, which is pretty boring.

At least in the 1950's we had the Cold War. That was interesting. Of course now we have a little excitement socially, but I think a generation is formed by the times in which they live.

I'm mainly interested in music, and the so-called music of the last 30 or 20 years or so has been mostly awful. This has a detrimental moral effect on people who must listen to it. Anyone who likes the music of today must be morally bankrupt, or else why would they enjoy listening to it?

This may sound harsh, but as a Stone Age person of the distant past, I feel I have earned the right to say what like and not have to give a damn of what others think of my spoken truths.

• Like 1

It seems to be true that all generations consider their youngers to be worthless. I was lucky to be young in the late'60's and '70's during the revolution. All the social protests and the new music was invigorating. Since then everything has settled down to blandness, which is pretty boring.

At least in the 1950's we had the Cold War. That was interesting. Of course now we have a little excitement socially, but I think a generation is formed by the times in which they live.

I'm mainly interested in music, and the so-called music of the last 30 or 20 years or so has been mostly awful. This has a detrimental moral effect on people who must listen to it. Anyone who likes the music of today must be morally bankrupt, or else why would they enjoy listening to it?

This may sound harsh, but as a Stone Age person of the distant past, I feel I have earned the right to say what like and not have to give a damn of what others think of my spoken truths.

this may be going way off the topic of Extraterrestrial Life, but basically it's "music these days, call that music, wasn't like that in my day"? What do you say to the observations i made above, that it was the older generation that was responsible for bringing dictators to power and for carrying out the most atrocious crimes against humanity, however moral their music may have been? In what ways do you see the Youth of Today as being morally bankrupt, and in what ways do you see the Older Generation as being morally superior?

Well, going off on a philosophical tangent, which generations was it that were responsible for the first World War, or for bringing all those lovely dictators that so brightened up the world in the 30s to power, or Pol Pot?

that would be the "young generation" of that era I expect.

A problem faced by many of the Best People when they venture west of the Hudson. Their solution is to cling to their iPods and their New York Times, which might serve as a model here. :innocent:

Edited by PersonFromPorlock

I'm not sure really. Part of me says leave them alone to advance themselves and write their own history, especially if they were VERY behind but (assuming they weren't nasty critters) we could always share technology and help advance them if they weren't too far behind. That'd be nice of mankind, wouldn't it? Would almost make you proud we, as a race, did something good for a change. Plus, even if we considered them "behind", it's a whole different world, they're bound to have discoveries, inventions etc that we don't have.

I'd find it really cool if we discovered a race just about technologically advanced as us, though; not too ahead and not too behind. A sister world, that'd be fab.

That would be cool. Maybe they could be almost identical to us, but they have some slight variations in their science or society that set them apart from us. Say that they don't have modern weapons. They never got past the musket stage, but they have a developing space program (I know that's unrealistic).

• Like 1

Doubting that us 'modern humans' have the right to class any one or any thing as 'inferior'.

Eh, I should have put the word in quotes. People know what I mean.

• Like 1

1950 was the end date. The time frame started in the Stone Age, so there were many available eras. My guess is that medieval individuals would have seen such encounters as supernatural in origin. There are accounts and paintings that supposedly show that such contacts took place. For instance, there are stories about strange beings spraying some kind of substance before the Black Plague. There are paintings that allegedly show flying saucers in the sky. If an extraterrestrial was caught by Europeans in the Middle Ages, the being might be viewed as either a saint or a witch. It depends on the circumstances, as well as the population.

I think

I think that you should watch the full Stargate series! :yes: Has a lot of that...

"Sliders" came to mind too. That had to be one of the most underrated science fiction TV shows that ever aired.

The ancient Mesopotamians likely talked about "kids these days" too. It has been a rite of passage since Neanderthals were in vogue. We can learn from both elders and youngsters if we refuse to stereotype either age group. Each generation faced its own reality. Science and technology improved so quickly, over the course of a few generations, that the generation gaps became wider than those in the past. A contemporary month saw more change more than a past century. Your grandparents had a rotary phone, your mom and dad had a push-button phone, and you all have cell phones now. Along the same lines, I just heard that a large fraction of high school students can't tie their shoes (not on April 1st).

Edited by Detective Mystery 2013

I wouldn't wish this curse of "normal" to any other race let alone species.

It's one of those quests that you can't really say yay or neigh without knowing who is doing it. We have a long time before earth can be big kids and share our tonka trucks and abandon the factory lines.

Well, we *would* be advanced in this scenario. Our morals likely would evolve with our science and technology....in my dreams. I see your point, though. Colonizing a less advanced planet might be akin to a toddler babysitting an infant. As it stands today, we really need to grow up as a species. We still have murders and wars. I hope that a future generation will look back on such things with dismay. As I watch the news, it seems doubtful.

• Like 1

when we do - what we need to do is build a few puramids, give them an understanding of a random extra-system star system and then periodically graffiti their cereal crops. Apparently it's what we're meant to do.

We should build stone megaliths too. Make sure that they're connected by imaginary lines.

• Like 2

That makes a good deal of sense. It could also explain why there isn't an overt extraterrestrial presence on this planet already. When we progress somewhat, socially, probably at least partly due to covert ET influence, we may be openly contacted.

I'd think that any sharing of technology would have to be very carefully managed, to prevent us doing harm with anything they'd given us.

It seems possible that the contacting ET culture wouldn't be too far technically and socially advanced beyond ourselves. We'd have the most in common with such beings, and probably interest them more than we would a race that was billions of years our senior.

Some people claim that two or more ET groups visit us. One group is closer to us in technology. Another collection of entities oversee this group. There are all sorts of variations on this theme. Some are more banal than others. Androids and/or smaller Grays work under larger Grays. Insectoids work for Reptilians while Blondes keep them in check. An even greater intelligence observes all of them.