Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

13-year-old girl hiccups every two seconds

Saru

Doctors have been left baffled by the ten-week ordeal of schoolgirl Emily Marsh who can't stop hiccuping.

Emily Marsh, 13, started hiccupping on her way to a maths lesson in January and has not stopped since.

arrow3.gifRead more...

I feel so bad for her.

• Like 2

How annoying. She must be worn out.

• Like 1

How awful. I feel for her and her family.

My dad's illness (pulmonary fibrosis) made him cough every few seconds. It was horrible just to listen to him, you felt so bad for him. They pumped him full of steroids to help? so then all his teeth fell out.

I'd hate to see them have to pump this young girl full of anything to cope and ease the pain if it comes to that.

Hopefully they'll find a cure or the hiccups will just stop on their own.

You don't ever hiccup while asleep, do you? Too bad she does.

• Like 2

When i get hiccups i get them for 2 or 3 days every 5-10 seconds. That's like torture, can't sleep, eat properly, it makes you nauseous. That girl must be going through hell. I get to the point where i have to trigger my gag reflex. It sucks to do and i dread doing it, but it works. After 3 days, you'll do anything.

• Like 1

I'm no doctor, but I suffer from a rather severe anxiety disorder, which sometimes manefests itself with various involuntary cyclic spasms.

While having these, at the ER, I was given 2mg of Ativan(lorazepam), which is a potent central nervous system depressant, and my spasms stopped for the duration of the medications effect.

In my case(not saying her's) my cyclic spasms are related to a nervous system dysfunction, as proven by the effectiveness of the CNS depressant on me.

The article didn't say, but I wonder if they have tried that as a test.

In any event, at such a young age I feel bad for her. Hope she can be helped.

• Like 2

I created an account just to comment on this.

I had the hiccups for 11 years. It started after drinking to much alcohol. I tried everything, from bottles of pepto, to the vinegar, people even tried scaring me. It wasn't until 10 years after I got them, that I had a near death experience and they suddenly went away. I havn't touched anything fizzy since. Hiccups are the worst torture anyone can go through!

• Like 1

When i get hiccups i get them for 2 or 3 days every 5-10 seconds. That's like torture, can't sleep, eat properly, it makes you nauseous. That girl must be going through hell. I get to the point where i have to trigger my gag reflex. It sucks to do and i dread doing it, but it works. After 3 days, you'll do anything.

I'm no doctor, but I suffer from a rather severe anxiety disorder, which sometimes manefests itself with various involuntary cyclic spasms.

While having these, at the ER, I was given 2mg of Ativan(lorazepam), which is a potent central nervous system depressant, and my spasms stopped for the duration of the medications effect.

In my case(not saying her's) my cyclic spasms are related to a nervous system dysfunction, as proven by the effectiveness of the CNS depressant on me.

@Pallidin, anxiety and panic can be pure hell/torture. I finally gave in to meds and they helped sooooo much. I live a normal life, well sort of. But I am weaning off now and no rebound yet.

@Odds, sorry about your hiccups, that would be misery! Mine are even painful on occasion, but very very short lived. My hubby and his mother get them exactly 3x a day when they occur.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

Having chronic hiccups is terrible. It happened to a friends husband last year, He had the hiccups for 3 months and was exhausted because he would wake up in the middle of the night from them.

• Like 1

I suspect there is an element of anxiety in her situation, the article says she started prior to a math test. She was probably anxious about the test then other things including the hiccups, exacerbated it.

I also have anxiety disorder and it does manifest in some unusual physical ways.

Her parents might wasn't to look into the psychological aspect of her situation.

There was a man who had hiccups for 60 something years. I'll Google it real quick.

Charles Osborne was his name. He was born in 1894 and died 1991 at the age of 97. From 1922 to 1990, 68 years, he suffered from hiccups. He hiccuped 40 times a minute and it gradually declined to 20 a minute as he aged finally ceasing about a year before his death.

We try to survive and make the best of it. Thoreau perhaps penned it aptly ... The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation ...

• Like 1

@Pallidin, anxiety and panic can be pure hell/torture. I finally gave in to meds and they helped sooooo much. I live a normal life, well sort of. But I am weaning off now and no rebound yet.

Don't know what you take, or if your "weaning-off" is doc supervised(sounds like it is if you're not having rebounds), but I would be careful.

For myself I'm on Pristiq, Klonopin and, (as-needed)Ativan. I pressume my anxiety is worse than some other people.

But I know that I tried to "self-reduce" the Klonopin because I was on a high, 3x a day dose, and all I wanted to do was sleep.

I self-reduced for a few days, at it was hell... had to take the Ativan to "snap" me out of it. Not the sleep, the "rebound"

After telling my psych what I was doing he actually approved. Yet I'm still going through "rebounds" and won't see him for another month.

Sure, I could go back on the 3x a day high dose Klonopin, and it definitely kills my anxiety and rebounds, but I got totally frustrated with being so damn tired for 16 hours each day. It's kind of like "Win against my anxiety but Lose my functionality"

In any event, sorry, not to take away from the topic... just be careful with CNS depressant reductions.

There are so many stories of people who have hiccups or sneeze every few seconds. It must be exhausting for the poor individuals.

All the basics like eating, sleeping, socializing etc must be so hard to deal with. Poor Kid.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...