Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Healthy guide dog killed & buried with owner

Still Waters

A blind woman who could not bear to be parted from her faithful guide dog had him put down and buried with her.

Shelia Stadler, 68, from Terre Haute, Indiana died with five-year-old guide dog Toffee by her side on March 8 after a long cancer battle.

A few days later Toffee, who was not suffering from any health problems, was put to sleep by the Stadler family and placed in Mrs Stadler's coffin.

http://www.dailymail...dying-wish.html

• Like 1

What a bunch of morons to kill that poor dog for no reason. I don't care if it was her dying wish and he was walking around mourning her death.

Edited by Hilander
  • Like 7

I had a big long reply but I deleted it. Simply put, if this is true..it's totally crazy and totally selfish but mostly sad. Sad for dog, sad for the people who think (thought) it was okay to do this (including the deceased owner), and sad that it's perfectly legal to murder completely healthy loving animals (as long as it's done "humanely" by a vet of course!).

Edited by sarah_444
  • Like 7

Dear God!! I thought I had reasons to puke, say from my anxiety or too much to drink, but now I can add this insanity to my list.

>>> pallidin pukes in disgust <<<

• Like 4

That's pretty messed up. If one of my brothers went blind and then asked me to do that I would tell him, "No, but I'll be happy to let him enjoy his retirement at my place."

• Like 6

I'm not saying that what she did was right, but if it was this lady's dying wish, she should be able to have it carried out without crazed animal rights activists breathing down her neck. It's not like she was asking to have her son killed. We're talking about an animal here. This post might stir up a hornet's best, but I mean seriously. Let the lady be...

Couldn't the dog go on to help another blind person?

This is one of the worst thing I've read about pets.

• Like 5

That is just wrong, the dog was healthy there was no need for this to be done. Selfish.

• Like 4

I'm not saying that what she did was right, but if it was this lady's dying wish, she should be able to have it carried out without crazed animal rights activists breathing down her neck. It's not like she was asking to have her son killed. We're talking about an animal here. This post might stir up a hornet's best, but I mean seriously. Let the lady be...

The lady is dead, the people who comply with her wish, should be at least fined for animal cruelty, if they are vets they should also have a process of ethical nature.

I eat meat, and I am against any type of unecessary animal abuse.

Also it was a dying wish, who gives a shister.... it was still an abusive request.

Edited by godnodog
  • Like 3

Yes, the dog is JUST an animal. But it is also a creature with emotions and the ability to be loyal - more so than some humans I've known. I don't mean to attack you. I know others who feel as you do and would think nothing of killing an animal at need - or what they perceived as a need. But to sacrifice this poor dog for the sake of grief is awful imo.

http://www.huffingto..._n_2805429.html

http://www.dailymail...ddler-back.html

I only post two because I don't have much time right now. Dogs truly ARE "man's best friend" Not everyone bonds with dogs but those who do realize their beauty and selflessness. I'm sorry you seem to have missed this wonderful experience so far and I hope you can enjoy it some day. They make wonderful friends - just as this poor woman knew.

Edited by and then
  • Like 4

That is just digraceful. That dog was perfectly healthy and could have gone on to help someone else. It's animal cruelty most definitely in my opinion.
  • Like 3

Yes, the dog is JUST an animal. But it is also a creature with emotions and the ability to be loyal - more so than some humans I've known. I don't mean to attack you. I know others who feel as you do and would think nothing of killing an animal at need - or what they perceived as a need. But to sacrifice this poor dog for the sake of grief is awful imo.

Like I said, I don't think what was done was right, but I'm just saying that this situation seemed to get a little out of hand. The death threats her family received were most definitely out of line in my opinion. So I guess that's what I meant when I said it was JUST an animal. The family's safety shouldn't be at risk because of their decision to comply with her wishes.

• Like 3

Like I said, I don't think what was done was right, but I'm just saying that this situation seemed to get a little out of hand. The death threats her family received were most definitely out of line in my opinion. So I guess that's what I meant when I said it was JUST an animal. The family's safety shouldn't be at risk because of their decision to comply with her wishes.

Yeah, there's no need for death threats... that itself is a crime.

If they would work together to petition for a change of law(and I'm sure they would get MANY signers) that would be more appropriate.

• Like 2

Her son is just as sick and twisted as the blind woman was. I love my mom and everything but I would NEVER kill her dog so that it could be buried with her.

My dad on the other hand was so attached to his dog 'Harry' (Harry was blind by the way) and was devastated when he had to finally put the dog down. He had Harry creamated and put in a nice little can which sat on a special shelf in my parents livingroom for years. When my father passed away a few years ago I made sure that Harry's ashes went into his coffin with him.

• Like 1

Oh it was just an animal. An unthinking automaton here to serve mankind.

May as well have been her son. One less sick nut in the world.

A dying wish a justifiable cause... What a joke.

• Like 2

At the very least it is wasteful and idiotic. Wouldn't her dying wish have been better served to pass that guide dog onto someone that could have used it?

I don't have the view that animals are in anyway equated to people, but even for a dying request it is ridiculous. Why not at least let the dog live out it's life, then have it buried beside her? Wouldn't that have made more sense?

Edited by supervike
  • Like 1

Yeah, I agree, death threats are seriously out of line. I agree with your point there.

• Like 1

They shouldn't have allowed this to happen, at the very least because it costs a lot of money to train guide dogs and it could have helped another person.

Not to mention, poor doggie. Such a waste of life for such a selfish reason.

• Like 2

This is the problem with our (English & Commonwealth) legal system. "Things" are either persons or property, that's the only two choices. So since a dog is not a person, it is property to be disposed of as one wishes, as long as it is done humanely.

I'm not sure you can get more selfish than that.

I'm just thankful she didn't own a farm.

• Like 2

They shouldn't have allowed this to happen, at the very least because it costs a lot of money to train guide dogs and it could have helped another person.

Yes,it definitely takes money and months of training for a seeing eye dog. This was a bad idea

• Like 1

I fail to understand how having a dead dog buried next to your dead body accomplishes anything.

How does killing a healthy animal then having it buried next to you show love? It is purely self serving...it's selfish...not all dying wishes should be granted especially when it entails killing.

If she really wanted to prove something and preserve a favorable memory of herself then why not give the dog to a child whose family is too poor to afford a service dog? Wouldn't that convey something more altruistic?

• Like 2

What a disgusting selfish woman. Think about how much time and energy went into training that dog and it could've helped someone else. My aunt is disabled and she's been waiting for a service dog for awhile. What kind of vet puts down a young healthy dog?

I don't know if I should be surprised though that this happened in my backwards state.

• Like 1

I loved my dog, she was my best friend and best friends don't do that to each other. That was selfish of that woman to ask that the dog be killed and buried with her. It was worse of them people to carry it out. Some promises shouldn't be kept.