Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Fossil Merry-Go-Round

pantodragon

Geological theories about the formation and age of rocks are riddled with assumptions. This has not stopped scientists using geological theory to create a theory of evolution, of which fossils are a part. What scientists have done is to feed these fossils, via fossil “evidence”, back into the geology to back up the theories which were originally used to create them.

Am I the only person who sees a problem with this geological merry-go-round?

Geological theories about the formation and age of rocks are riddled with assumptions. This has not stopped scientists using geological theory to create a theory of evolution, of which fossils are a part. What scientists have done is to feed these fossils, via fossil “evidence”, back into the geology to back up the theories which were originally used to create them.

There are other ways to date rock, and without the use of fossils.

It's called "absolute dating".

• Like 2

Not to mention geological theory was not used to create the theory of evolution. I love how misunderstanding science leads to this kind of ignornace.

• Like 1

Not to mention geological theory was not used to create the theory of evolution. I love how misunderstanding science leads to this kind of ignornace.

Darwin took Lyell's Principles of Geology with him on the Beagle. I believe he did actually read it, and may have picked up one or two pointers.

That is not the point. It is a separate issue. In the first instance, there was bad science creating theories. Good science later (though the other methods of dating are, at least in some respects --- the use of "primordial" iron from meteorites?!? --- questionable) does not justify bad science. When one spots instances of bad practice, and especially in such an important fundamental theory, it throws all of science into doubt.

You seem to have this completely backwards. Fossils come FROM the Geology,not the other way around as you stated.

Fossils are found in certain strata, with the older fossils corresponding with the older strata... it is simple and elegant. A perfect example of Occam's razor at work. Older strata (and the fossils they carry) lie below newer strata complete with evolved forms of the older fossil types.

You seem to have this completely backwards. Fossils come FROM the Geology,not the other way around as you stated.

Fossils are found in certain strata, with the older fossils corresponding with the older strata... it is simple and elegant. A perfect example of Occam's razor at work. Older strata (and the fossils they carry) lie below newer strata complete with evolved forms of the older fossil types.

Occam's razor is too often used as an excuse for fantasy. There is so much bad practice in what you describe, but it hides behind jargon and a sort of "compelling" reasonableness.