Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is a Human born on Mars a "Martian" ?

pallidin

The title say's it all.

But I was wondering about your opinions.

If we colonize Mars, be it a "one-way" trip or otherwise, and a human baby is both initially conceived and born on Mars, would that child be considered a Martian?

If there has already been a discussion on this I apologize.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

Earthling-Martian

African-American

They're both he same thing: race distinction mixed with area of residence and/or origination.

• Like 2

An Earmartian.

• Like 1

I think they'd be a Martian...in as much as a person can be an American, Englishman, Australian etc. However, they'd (obviously) still be a human being.

• Like 1

Yes. Because your origin is not human but Earthian. Your biological species is human.

You should first ask the opinion of the indigenous population of martians.

• Like 1

I would agree Martian,but Oh So Lucky to be the first to be Born off Planet Earth !

:alien::tu: justDONTEATUS

• Like 1

As Lilly said, obviously they would be human. But would they consider themselves to have a Martian "nationality"

Nationality is as much a frame of mind as a place of birth. How may people call themselves Irish or Italian, Polish or English despite having been born in another country and officially holding another nationality?

My mother was one of 4 siblings. All four were born in England of Welsh parents. Two thought of themselves as English and two as Welsh.

All of which is a long winded way of me saying that it will probably depend on the individual. I suspect that the first few generations will consider themselves American, Russian or Chinese first and Martian second. As more and more generations are born then I suspect that they will feel a greater affinity to their planet of birth and feel more Martian than any Earth based nationality.

There has been many a good science fiction story about the Martian War of Independence. As their ties to Earth get lessened through the generations maybe these stories won't be too far from the truth and we will see an independent Mars.

• Like 2

I dno if it could be qualified as human. The DNA would be there so technically it would be human, but I think the child would be completely different from what we know. Unless they can replicate earth conditions on Mars.

I think it would look completely different, maybe have a completely deviant brain shape who knows. It could become a new species.

• Like 1

"Moonies" too. :w00t:

I have to admit, that would make for an interesting social meeting at a bar...

An Earthling, a Moonie and a Martian at the same table.

EDIT: Just don't be born on Uranus. Could be a little awkward in introduction; especially towards a Moonie.

"Hi, I'm Zork, I'm from Uranus"

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

A person from Earth is an earthling, from Mars a martian.

He would be an extra-terrestrial human being, or extra-terrestrial homo sapiens, but he would not be an alien.

A person from Earth is an earthling, from Mars a martian.

He would be an extra-terrestrial human being, or extra-terrestrial homo sapiens, but he would not be an alien.

Not unless he was an 'illegal alien'?

;) (jk!!)

The title say's it all.

But I was wondering about your opinions.

He might be martian but hes race will still be human...

Edit: People are different all over the world asian,african,european they are still human even thou they are from different lands and looks and cultures. Same would go for planets You might be neptunian,martian,saturnian ( XD ) but your race would be human in all cases.

Edited by Tesla II
  • Like 1