Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Thieves are stealing sap out of maple trees

Still Waters

People are looting the liquid out of trees on private property and hauling it away to turn into sweet maple syrup using little more than a spout-like tap and a bucket.

There's been an increase in reported sap thefts the past couple of years, but Maine Forest Service rangers aren't sure why.

'It could be that landowners are more willing to contact us. But it also may be that more people are venturing out into the woods to try their hand at this,' Ranger Thomas Liba said.

http://www.dailymail...gary-syrup.html

They come for your weed in the summer and for your sap in the winter......what can ya do???

• Like 2

Didn't they steal a bunch of maple syrup out of a warehouse in Canada last year? Wish they would leave it alone its expensive enough as it is. Which is why they are stealing it.

• Like 1

I love maple syrup.

If I didn't have a job, i'm not gonna lie, i'd contemplate tapping a maple tree.

• Like 2

I heard it was fetishists who were doing it. I can't repeat how they do it though, seeing as this is a family site.

p.s. I feel sorry for the trees.

Edited by Eldorado

They come for your weed in the summer and for your sap in the winter......what can ya do???

Hold on to your nuts during autumn?

• Like 2

lol my little friend and i used to drink the sap out of the buckets. (just some of it.. we were not without conscience) Pretty refreshing! on a warm spring day.

• Like 2

lol my little friend and i used to drink the sap out of the buckets. (just some of it.. we were not without conscience) Pretty refreshing! on a warm spring day.

We have a place not too far from my house called Beaver Lake Nature Center I know, I know... it sounds like a nudist camp but it's not.

Each spring they educate visitors on the entire production process of maple syrup. When the guide showed us the 'raw' sap and poured into little paper cups to taste I was a bit hesitant to try it. Once I tried it I was amazed at how good it tasted.

• Like 1

yup! it's good.. my dad took me to a "sugar shack" when i was a kid. They called them that because they used to make maple sugar as well as syrup. It was a little shack in the deep woods with a HUGE tank of bubbling stuff.... the guy gave us a shot glass each of new maple syrup. It was quite dark and strong tasting.

(lol.. camp beaver)

What a bunch of saps they are for stealing.

Odie

• Like 1