Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NY dad pistol license suspended

F3SS

N.Y. DAD’S PISTOL LICENSE SUSPENDED OVER SOMETHING HIS 10-YEAR-OLD SON SAID — AND IT COULD BE 8 YEARS BEFORE HE GETS IT BACK

Later that day, Mayer got a call from school officials informing him that his 10-year-old son and two other students were talking about going to a boy’s house with a water gun, “paint gun” and a BB gun. There had reportedly been a school yard pushing incident the day before involving the boys, excluding Mayer’s son, and they were seemingly talking about getting even in some way.

Mayer told TheBlaze that a teacher overheard the students talking and immediately called police and filed a report. He said the teacher told police something to the effect of, there’s a “kid with a gun, ready to go.” Mayer maintains that no serious death threats were made by the students. The Hauppauge Public School District has not returned several messages left by TheBlaze, therefore, it is not clear what they are claiming was said.

School officials then “interrogated” the boys, Mayer explained. It was later determined that the 10-year-old boys did not have access to a BB gun, paintball gun or any actual firearms.

The school’s principal later informed the father that his son would be suspended for two days for the incident. But the ordeal was far from over.

Mayer said police officers were then deployed to his home where he was advised by officers that they might have to confiscate his firearms, which he says were all properly stored and secured. “I just couldn’t believe what was happening,” he told TheBlaze.

The following Monday, Mayer got a call from the Suffolk County Pistol Licensing Bureau. He was reportedly told that his license would be suspended and police would arrive at his house the next morning to retrieve his handguns. Acting quickly on the advice of his attorney, Mayer transferred all 15 of his handguns to his friend to prevent them from being confiscated. He also transferred his long arms to a local gun store out of fear that police would attempt to confiscate them as well.

Suffolk County Police Department (www.suffolkcountyny.gov)

However, that hardly fixed the problem.

Mayer’s pistol license has been suspended until further notice and he says officials have informed him that the suspension could last until his son moves out of his home. His son is only 10-years-old, meaning it could be eight years or longer before his license is restored.

Whole story...

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/04/04/n-y-dads-pistol-license-suspended-over-something-his-10-year-old-son-said-and-it-could-be-8-years-before-he-gets-it-back/

Edited by -Mr_Fess-
  • Like 2

Oh god being punished for what a kid said, talk about over reacting.

• Like 3

The moral of the story: Kids are longer allowed to talk about potentially violent things and the parents will be punished if their children dare to have an aggressive thought.

• Like 3

Give 'em an inch they'll take a mile. This can't really be legal.

• Like 1

Beyond ridiculous. I would sue Sufolk county and retire early while my son went to a posh private school. I would love to hear the law cited which they believe gives them the right to persecute this innocent American. I'm sure no such law exists.

I also would have told the police if they enter my property without proper paper work they can expect the same treatement as any other ilegal trespasser.

• Like 1

This is just beyond ridiculous. Really.

Meanwhile, Colorado Theater shooter is diagnosed a nut and deemed a threat to humanity by the school psychiatrist, campus safety revokes his access privileges, but the local police don't do jack squat.

• Like 2

He's got how many guns?

Mayer transferred all 15 of his handguns to his friend to prevent them from being confiscated. He also transferred his long arms

another paranoid gun nutter who can't understand why his kid thinks about guns.

He's got how many guns?

My father owns alot more than 15 guns, but he is definetly not a nut. He's a hobbyist and a collecter.

I know it was a while ago, but when you were a kid did you ever have a toy gun or pretend that a stick was a rifle while playing army? :innocent:

• Like 3

He's got how many guns?

No, the problem is people need to chill out. My god, these idiots are completely freaking out about any mention of guns by kids in school. Its like mass hysteria has set in.

• Like 3

I know it was a while ago, but when you were a kid did you ever have a toy gun or pretend that a stick was a rifle while playing army? :innocent:

I did indeed. But as you say that was a while ago. For my children, that was allowed in a much smaller degree. And suspect it will become nearly non-existent in my grandchildren. Kids today do that in video games.

Its like mass hysteria has set in.

frequent mass murders will do that ....

• Like 1

Granted, that's a reasonable statement.

We had a mass shooting here in Seattle a year ago in May, but this doesn't make me more or less afraid (worried) about being shot than I ever was, and don't think that any of the mass media induced hysteria being sponsored by our politicians is doing anything more than making most people upset with the level of disconect more and more people are viewing our government of being guilty of with thier consticuencies.

• Like 1

I did indeed. But as you say that was a while ago. For my children, that was allowed in a much smaller degree. And suspect it will become nearly non-existent in my grandchildren. Kids today do that in video games.

In MANY of the mass killings that have taken place with such alarming frequency, is that the shooters are on pysch medications! Yet we're not even investigating a link between them or doing research on them. Just blaming guns. It's the drugs! If I we're you, I'd be more scared of the c$%^ they put in our medications than being killed by a gun.

• Like 1

He's got how many guns?

This has nothing to do with the topic at hand... Why would you stretch to insult a man that you dont even know. I own several handguns and rifles myself... Many are used for in my profession and I am also a semi-collector. Its funny how you talk about renouncing violence and anyone that partakes is a "nut" yet you name yourself "NinjaDude".

A ninja (忍者?) or shinobi (忍び?) was a covert agent or mercenary in feudal Japan who specialized in unorthodox warfare. The functions of the ninja included espionage, sabotage, infiltration, and assassination, and open combat in certain situations.[1] Their covert methods of waging war contrasted the ninja with the samurai, who observed strict rules about honor and combat.

Link

On the topic of the OP... This is insane. There is no legal standard that would allow law enforcement to take this type of action. All I can think of that would make this less insane is if we are not being told the full story.

• Like 2

This has nothing to do with the topic at hand... Why would you stretch to insult a man that you dont even know. I own several handguns and rifles myself... Many are used for in my profession and I am also a semi-collector. Its funny how you talk about renouncing violence and anyone that partakes is a "nut" yet you name yourself "NinjaDude".

Link

On the topic of the OP... This is insane. There is no legal standard that would allow law enforcement to take this type of action. All I can think of that would make this less insane is if we are not being told the full story.

The school and police did respond today and neither are refusing the story. They are investigating the situation.

The school and police did respond today and neither are refusing the story. They are investigating the situation.

Completely crazy. I'll be keeping an eye on this one. I wouldnt be suprised to see more of this pop up if they get away with it this time.

• Like 1

You probably just read it but I think this is a new update as of today.

UPDATE:​ The Suffolk County Police Department responded to TheBlaze’s inquiry Friday evening. Though few details were provided, an SCPD spokesperson revealed that police do not believe Mayer “poses a threat to himself or others.” The spokesperson, however, did not respond to TheBlaze’s question regarding whether police believe his 10-year-old son poses a threat to himself or others.

The department previously confirmed that his pistol license has indeed been suspended, but the spokesperson on Friday clarified, saying no “Final Agency Determination has been made” yet.

Read SCPD’s entire statement below:

The Suffolk County Police Department does not believe that John Mayer poses a threat to himself or others.

Due to privacy issues, the Suffolk County Police Department cannot comment on the specifics of the ongoing investigation regarding Mr. Mayer’s pistol license suspension. No Final Agency Determination has been made at this time with respect to the status of Mr. Mayer’s New York State pistol license. The Suffolk County Police Department’s Pistol Licensing Bureau has licensing authority over handguns only.

The Suffolk County Police Department is respectful of, and compliant with, the Second Amendment, New York State law and case law as it pertains to an individual’s right to bear arms. The Suffolk County Police Department also has an obligation to ensure the safety of people in the community, especially children, while this investigation continues.

When a final determination is made, and If Mr. Mayer disagrees with the Department’s Final Agency Determination, he would be entitled to an administrative hearing or other legal recourse in this matter.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/04/05/school-district-police-dept-address-incident-that-resulted-in-suspension-of-n-y-dads-pistol-license/
  • Like 1

I'm glad this guy had the foresight to quickly call a lawyer whom advised him to transfer all his weapons to a friend. At least they aren't gone into the oblivion of wherever the hell confiscated weapons go.

Prediction possibility, the officials will make a weak yet final decision to keep guns out of his hands. It'll be so lame the lawyer will insist on appealing. The officials will try these games hoping to wear people down by attrition. Many might not have the time or means to go through the process. I dunno, just a little CTing.

• Like 2

He's got how many guns?

My grandpa had a closet full of guns when I was growing up. I would sleep in that room alone for nights on end at the age of 8.

I never touched the guns or thought of touching them, and I'm certainly not a gun-nutter.

Kids will still know about guns. Kids will still think about guns. Just as kids will still always find out about sex.

Or drugs. Or any thing in life. Kids will always find a way to learn new things when they have school and friends.

But to punish a kid for a thought-crime that really equated to thinking about playing?

You can't say you never played war or played with GI Joes as a child, so don't feed me BS..

The issue is a kid's thought-crime of wanting to play conflicted with the current anti-gun agenda in public schools and thus it was used to justify the disarmament of his father. All the while our Government repeated something about how they should be thankful for the gracious opportunity to turn in their guns for their own 'safety' and 'security'. It looks like Obama's Executive Order to 'educate' children about guns is going well.

We're dealing with a real dangerous road here.

Edited by Eonwe
  • Like 1

When they started confiscating guns in New Orleans after Katrina I became concerned and I'm even more so now. They are stepping over the invisible line in the sand.

• Like 3

My grandpa had a closet full of guns when I was growing up. I would sleep in that room alone for nights on end at the age of 8.

I never touched the guns or thought of touching them, and I'm certainly not a gun-nutter.

Kids will still know about guns. Kids will still think about guns. Just as kids will still always find out about sex.

Or drugs. Or any thing in life. Kids will always find a way to learn new things when they have school and friends.

But to punish a kid for a thought-crime that really equated to thinking about playing?

You can't say you never played war or played with GI Joes as a child, so don't feed me BS..

The issue is a kid's thought-crime of wanting to play conflicted with the current anti-gun agenda in public schools and thus it was used to justify the disarmament of his father. All the while our Government repeated something about how they should be thankful for the gracious opportunity to turn in their guns for their own 'safety' and 'security'. It looks like Obama's Executive Order to 'educate' children about guns is going well.

We're dealing with a real dangerous road here.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion. -- Edmund Burke

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

• Like 1