Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A fascist or just a fool

Commander CMG

• Paolo Di Canio's appointment as Sunderland boss has caused controversy
  • His apparent facist sympathies have caused protest among Sunderland fans

As the elderly residents of an affluent Rome suburb passed the imposing Santa Chiara Church they witnessed a scene that stirred vivid memories, casting them back to the darkest chapter in Italy’s turbulent history.

arrow3.gifView: Read more

Not a word was mentioned about this when he was Swindon boss (which is hypocritical really)...he's either fit to manage a team over here, or he's not....to say he's fit to run a league team but not a premiership side makes a mockery of the sport.

I think he is a facist unfortunately, which I personally find a bit sad really, but I guess if all opinions are allowed and he is allowed to manage here, then strictly from a footballing side he's welcome back to Upton Park anyday.

• Like 3

They never reported this or hardly any news when he took over Swindon, never made headline news. The media only care about big clubs

Not a word was mentioned about this when he was Swindon boss (which is hypocritical really)...he's either fit to manage a team over here, or he's not....to say he's fit to run a league team but not a premiership side makes a mockery of the sport.

I think he is a facist unfortunately, which I personally find a bit sad really, but I guess if all opinions are allowed and he is allowed to manage here, then strictly from a footballing side he's welcome back to Upton Park anyday.

I have to agree with that statement.. don't get me wrong the guys is a fool without a doubt but now there is suddenly an issue..

The evil that Fascism clearly is has been plainly demonstrated for the whole world to see. The world has the right to protect itself.

• Like 1

Paolo's a good chap ... he is

Black Cats are still going down though ... fascist or no fascist

• Like 2

I think it sets a dangerous precedent if someone can be denied or forced out of a job because of their political beleifs. He should be allowed to keep his management position and only lose it if he doesnt perform.

Di Canio has stated that while being a fascist he isnt a racist. So people are essentially whinning about a person wanting his country to rise to prominance again which, if we are all really honest, 95% of us want anyway. The Italians didnt even practice racism during WW2.

• Like 1

I think it sets a dangerous precedent if someone can be denied or forced out of a job because of their political beleifs. He should be allowed to keep his management position and only lose it if he doesnt perform.

Di Canio has stated that while being a fascist he isnt a racist. So people are essentially whinning about a person wanting his country to rise to prominance again which, if we are all really honest, 95% of us want anyway. The Italians didnt even practice racism during WW2.

Italian hooligans and come clubs are racist, if you look at the club football there is a lot of racism

• Like 1

Has he ever been openly racist ?

A bit silly with the Nazi salutes, but they don't offend me, it depends what his thinking was behind them, I think its an over zealous show of pride in his nationality.

Yes it was, the GMB immediately withdrew their sponsorship of the club.

• Like 1

lol

In his autobiography, he praised Mussolini as "basically a very principled, ethical individual" who was "deeply misunderstood".

Italian hooligans and some clubs are racist, if you look at the club football there is a lot of racism

And while thats true we are talking about Di Canio not what this or that hooligan is like.

• Like 1

And while thats true we are talking about Di Canio not what this or that hooligan is like.

Same thing

Same thing

A guy swore at me wearing a white shirt so we must lock you up too as you must be the same. Get it?

You dont apply your issues with one group of people to another. Its called sterotyping.

When Italy was stuffed during WW2, where did all the facists suddenly disappear to,one day they were there the next gone,how ever if he keeps the club he's joined from relegation, he will have at least 280000 supporters who wont give a toss whether he is Italian,Facist or Neanderthal,he will become an instant Hero.Give the guy a chance before condemning him for something that occurred years ago.The PRESS are trying to rabble rouse,because Katy Price has gone on holiday,so they have nothing to report.

• Like 1

I'll always remember him from the time he could've put the ball in the net from a cross but he did the honourable thing and caught the ball instead because the keeper was injured on the floor.

That tells me more about his personality than the odd misconstrued salute.

• Like 3

Things are looking grim

So we turn to him

we dont care about his sin

He's just gotta win.

Everyone has good and bad sides to them, but giving the Fascist salute in public is just something that cannot go unnoticed, and, indeed, where it is illegal, cannot go unpunished. Society has the right to impose reasonable limits on freedom of speech, and inflammatory gestures properly are among the things that can be restricted or prohibited.

• Like 1

Everyone has good and bad sides to them, but giving the Fascist salute in public is just something that cannot go unnoticed, and, indeed, where it is illegal, cannot go unpunished. Society has the right to impose reasonable limits on freedom of speech, and inflammatory gestures properly are among the things that can be restricted or prohibited.

in this country there are no restrictions on freedom of speech,thats why we are British.Have you done nothing wrong or stupid in your younger days,that you now consider to be the wrong thing to do but at the time was a spontaneous gesture.We have had demonstrations here that involved burning our flag in public,and nothing was done about it.I bet you wouldnt dare do that where you live.We are British and we tolerate idiots.The only thing that is not allowed is Treason.De Canio is Italian and doesnt know our rules, but I'm sure that if he did at the time he wouldnt have done it,and he wont do it again.
  • Like 1

I have to ask, you being British and me knowing how the British feel about certain words, what would have been the reaction if on TV someone called someone else "retarded," or "spastic?" The Fascist salute has much the same effect over much of the world. Yes it can be overlooked and forgiven once appropriate apologies are made, but if it is an indication of actual racism, then maybe not.

• Like 1

I have to ask, you being British and me knowing how the British feel about certain words, what would have been the reaction if on TV someone called someone else "retarded," or "spastic?" The Fascist salute has much the same effect over much of the world. Yes it can be overlooked and forgiven once appropriate apologies are made, but if it is an indication of actual racism, then maybe not.

In truth I dont think 95% of the country really cares if someone is calling others retards or giving fascist salutes,

We've got more interesting things to get on with despite the media coming out with its sensationalist stories.

• Like 1

I think you are mistaken; I think far more people do care about such things than you imagine.

• Like 1