Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What's for dinner?

SpiritWriter

Avocado salad with onions, carribean jerk spice, diced carrots, olive oil, flax seeds and baby spinach.

Had a tuna salad for breakfast, mmmm.

Chicken rice and cauliflower.

Chicken breast covered in coconut oil, carribean jerk spice with ground flax seeds.

Tonight will be Tuna salad with baby spinach, carribean jerk spice, ground flax seed and a bit o mayo.

• 1 month later...

Curried tuna with bell peppers, sweet onions, Julianne carrots in sour cream curry sauce. I serve it over brown rice ...very nice on a cold day.

• Like 1

I hadn't decided...LOL, time to come up with a meal plan. Make it simple and healthy. How about baked cod with mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables sound like?

chicken parmesean, asparagus, and parmesean noodles.... sadly i cant have any noodles... guess ill fill up on asaparagus

American Chop Suey.. full of beef and pork, onions, celery, bean sprouts, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, mushrooms.. seasoned with soy sauce, bead molasses, ginger, garlic, ponzu sauce, and sesame oil. Served on beds of fluffy rice, with crispy chow mein noodles, sesame oil, sesame seeds, and soy sauce as condiments.

Though grumpy at Overdueleaf.. it's not quite asparagus on right now here, though I lovingly looked at it in the market- too expensive still for dinner, lol.

• Like 1

Ate me some French toast. Have not had that in a while, man was it good. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Steaks on the grill (glad the snow finally melt so I can use the grill again) and a romaine lettuce salad with dressing. Nothing fancy.

Off to eat now :D

Tonight I've got leftover take away from last night's meal. Over the weekend, however, I had a friend staying here from way down South, and another friend coming over for board games, so I made a stir-fry. Starting with the marinade, I put in a bowl:

* Soy Sauce

* A small splash of Fish Sauce

* Garlic

* Ginger

* Chilli

* Lime

* Coriander

* Pepper

* A couple of pinches of Brown Sugar to balance out the saltiness of the soy and fish sauce.

Seriously, take these ingredients and make any marinade you like - it's almost impossible to make this flavour combination taste bad. Even if you aren't that knowledgeable about ratios, common sense prevails, if you don't have enough of one thing, your taste buds should spot what you need to use in its place. Normally I use tofu in this dish, marinade it for 3-4 hours to let the flavours soak in, but today I used lamb strips.

While the lamb was marinading I sliced into somewhat large chunks *a few centimetres diamater* some:

* Red Capsicum

* Baby Corn

* Brown Onion

* Snow peas

* Water chestnuts

* Broccolini

After this it's just a matter of cooking (less than ten minutes, not including rice in the steamer). Fry up the lamb to medium-rare, remove, then cook the onion until opaque. Add broccolini, baby corn, and capsicum, add in the marinade juices and cover frypan to allow the veges to steam just a little. Add in snow peas, again cover fry pan for a few minutes, removing every now and then to toss the stir fry (might just be preference, but I prefer my snow peas just a tad crispier than the rest of my stir fry veges. Shortly before finished, add in the water chestnuts and return lamb to the pan and allow them to heat up, but not cook too much. Serve with Jasmine Rice (or brown rice if you want a healthier option, but this is still a pretty healthy meal). Garnish with some chopped coriander and a wedge of lime if you're feeling particularly gourmet, lol.

I used about double the amount of chilli I normally use in this meal, just because I thought I'd be different (I had an inkling the sweetness of the sugar in the marinade would balance out the chilli. It did).

My friend told me he went home and told his mum that he had the best stir fry ever, and his mum said "even better than mine", to which he said yes, better than hers. She was cut, so the moral of this story is that my stir fry drove a wedge between my friend and his mum :ph34r:

This is probably my "go to" type of dish when I want to cook something with a lot of flavour but very easy (from start to finish, it probably took 30 minutes, including chopping and cooking (marinade should stay on meat (or tofu) for several hours, so this is really broken into 20 minutes to begin, and then a few hours of television or board games, and then another ten minutes cooking.

Edited by Paranoid Android
  • Like 1

Wow PA that looks delicious! It's really hard to cook Lamb "just right"!

The marinade sounds wonderful. I will try this (less the ginger bc I'm allergic) Hope deleting that won't affect the taste too much.

Also, have you ever tried to make your own brown sugar? I do a ton of baking (mostly around holidays) and I have found that if I make my own it changes things - to MUCH BETTER! I use an italian organic sugar cane and add in organic molasses. You can go as dark or light as you want but I go dark. The molasses really punches things up a bit if you make it yourself.

Sounds like the perfect balance of sweet and salty with crunchy and chewy!!

Way to go PA! You are such a chef :yes:

Wow PA that looks delicious! It's really hard to cook Lamb "just right"!

The marinade sounds wonderful. I will try this (less the ginger bc I'm allergic) Hope deleting that won't affect the taste too much.

Also, have you ever tried to make your own brown sugar? I do a ton of baking (mostly around holidays) and I have found that if I make my own it changes things - to MUCH BETTER! I use an italian organic sugar cane and add in organic molasses. You can go as dark or light as you want but I go dark. The molasses really punches things up a bit if you make it yourself.

Sounds like the perfect balance of sweet and salty with crunchy and chewy!!

Way to go PA! You are such a chef :yes:

When the lamb strips are uniform, it's pretty easy to get the lamb "just right" (I have problems when the meat dish is more like a whole steak). I can't say as I've ever made my own molasses, I'm not that good, and I don't think a lack of ginger would ruin it, it just won't be as truly great (I know how you feel, I'm allergic to shellfish, I'm so often told that if I did x, y, z, I'd be perfect with a Prawn marinara, etc etc).

To be honest, I'm not that absolutely great, my brother - now HE'S a chef, he pretty much taught me everything I know. I have a few secrets that are mine and mine alone, but I used to hate cooking, it wasn't until I moved in with my brother that I began to enjoy it. My brother has been cooking for years, I've been cooking for a few years, but mostly relying on tips from my bro. But I will vouch for the flavours and vegetables in the stir fry I suggested here. It's damn easy to make (I almost feel like I'm cheating by even citing it as a possible option) and it does work well together in all their flavoursome details.

• Like 1

Well it sounds wonderful and you sound like a natural chef (whether you like to cook or not) :P

PS: It's making your own brown sugar - not making molasses - you use regular sugar and mix in molasses to make your own homemade brown sugar. It's the key to my chocolate chip cookie recipe. Best out there!! Hee hee.

• Like 2

Well it sounds wonderful and you sound like a natural chef (whether you like to cook or not) :P

PS: It's making your own brown sugar - not making molasses - you use regular sugar and mix in molasses to make your own homemade brown sugar. It's the key to my chocolate chip cookie recipe. Best out there!! Hee hee.

I agree- I make my own brown sugar, and it's always better than storebought. I usually use blackstrap, but recently I made windmill cookies using bead molasses based brown sugar ( I was out of blackstrap), and it was awesome.

Tonights dinner is baked ziti in a creamy tomato sauce chock full of veggies and sausage, Italian meatloaf with lots of mozzarella cheese in it, and garlic bread made with homemade Italian bread :)

• Like 2

I agree- I make my own brown sugar, and it's always better than storebought. I usually use blackstrap, but recently I made windmill cookies using bead molasses based brown sugar ( I was out of blackstrap), and it was awesome.

Tonights dinner is baked ziti in a creamy tomato sauce chock full of veggies and sausage, Italian meatloaf with lots of mozzarella cheese in it, and garlic bread made with homemade Italian bread :)

I find things are always better when I make them from scratch rather than when I buy them at the store. Your cookies sound delicious!! Yummy yum :yes:

MMmmm I love ziti. In the summer I grow my own tomato out back here in my garden. I'll have to show you some pictures I took. I roast them with all sort of herbs and spices and then make my own sauce. It takes a long time and is a lot more work but the taste - well, there's no comparison. I love making bread too. Working with dough is very relaxing for me; something about the kneading I can't explain it but its great stress relief. LOL!

I'm not having dinner tonight :( I'm sick with a bug so I'm not cooking. Sorry I can't share anything good (food-related) with you today.

Edited to add a pic. I thought I had a pic of them done and roasted but I don't - oh well, this is all I could find. Nom nom nom!

259zf5z.jpg

Edited by She-ra
  • Like 2

Just fixed and ate an omelet with 3 eggs, onions, spinach, sea salt, pepper and flax seeds.

• Like 2

This thread is making me hungry!

...and I just finished eating link sausage, scrambled eggs, and hash browns

Washed it down with Yuban Pacific Coast blend coffee. :tu:

Tonight we're going to have lasagna,

And I'll probably snack on chocolate cupcakes for a midnight snack. << (I'll bet that makes you cringe StRoostifer knowing how you like to eat healthy) :yes:

• Like 2

This thread is making me hungry!

...and I just finished eating link sausage, scrambled eggs, and hash browns

Washed it down with Yuban Pacific Coast blend coffee. :tu:

Tonight we're going to have lasagna,

And I'll probably snack on chocolate cupcakes for a midnight snack. << (I'll bet that makes you cringe StRoostifer knowing how you like to eat healthy) :yes:

Lol, does not make me cringe, more like drool! Damn I miss cupcakes! Twinkles too. :(

• Like 1

Forget eating healthy, the little woman has pizza hut delivering in 20 minutes! Woohoo!

• Like 2

Forget eating healthy, the little woman has pizza hut delivering in 20 minutes! Woohoo!

LOL, sounds good!

We ate Pizza Hut last night...pepperoni, Italian sausage, extra cheese, black olives, on that killer pretzel hand tossed crust!! :tsu:

• Like 1

LOL, sounds good!

We ate Pizza Hut last night...pepperoni, Italian sausage, extra cheese, black olives, on that killer pretzel hand tossed crust!! :tsu:

Nice!!!

The lady says she got extra cheese, pepperoni, mushrooms and bacon on the pizza. Also got bread sticks and the chocolate covered sticks too.

Oh ****! Its here!

Ha ha, I'll be back! :D

• Like 1

Nice!!!

The lady says she got extra cheese, pepperoni, mushrooms and bacon on the pizza. Also got bread sticks and the chocolate covered sticks too.

Oh ****! Its here!

Ha ha, I'll be back! :D

Which crust?

Inquiring minds want to know!

• Like 1

Which crust?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Pretty sure it was the regular crust. Didn't stop to ask, too busy shoveling it down. :P

Now I feel like I have a block of cement in my stomach. This is going to hurt in a few days but what the hell! :lol:

• Like 2