Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Boy banned from school for Mohawk haircut

Commander CMG

A five-year-old boy was sent home from kindergarten because his Mohawk haircut proved too distracting to other students.

Ethan Clos was told he cannot return to class until he loses the distinctive haircut.

School officials said the hairstyle violated their dress code by being 'disruptive and distracting'.

His mother Keshia Castle said her son considered the haircut 'cool.'

'They seen his hair like it was. All the little kids were going over and feeling on it and everything,' Castle said.

arrow3.gifView: Read more

Rules are rules.

I agree, my kids school clearly states that extreme hairstyles (such as having zig zag lines shaved in etc) is not allowed. It's not fair on the kid, but if its in the rules then the mum shouldn't have allowed it in the first place.

• Like 3

I see both sides ont his one.

Firstly from the side of the school, if they don't put their foot down somewhere, where does it end?! I remember when all that "Eclipse" clothing was cool and my school banned it. (it had marijuana leaves and swearing on some of the clothes)

From the side of the kid/parents, my school never banned haircuts like this though and they didn't distract anyone. It is also good for children to grow up aorund diversity and let them express themselves. It would probably stop bullying later on in life when they think it's wrong to be "different" or to express themselves.

I think they should have let this oen slide in fairness. Schools are already too much like military acedamies with indoctrining children:

625414_582993895053610_1343345399_n.jpg

Is that relaly what we should be teaching our children?

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 8

i don't know.... i guess rules are rules... but how long would 5 year olds be "Distracted" by Anything? Maybe it was blocking the blackboard/marking board? \\\///

Personally, i think it's a good idea to let kids get used to the Unusual along with the Usual? .. to learn tolerance and the importance of INDIVIDUAL rights.

(Coffey beat me to it^)

Edited by lightly
  • Like 2

I see both sides ont his one.

Firstly from the side of the school, if they don't put their foot down somewhere, where does it end?! I remember when all that "Eclipse" clothing was cool and my school banned it. (it had marijuana leaves and swearing on some of the clothes)

From the side of the kid/parents, my school never banned haircuts like this though and they didn't distract anyone. It is also good for children to grow up aorund diversity and let them express themselves. It would probably stop bullying later on in life when they think it's wrong to be "different" or to express themselves.

I think they should have let this oen slide in fairness. Schools are already too much like military acedamies with indoctrining children:

625414_582993895053610_1343345399_n.jpg

Is that relaly what we should be teaching our children?

I absolutely agree with what you say. Hey, I am a pink haired, tattoo'd Pagan mum. I guess I could fit in to the "different" category.

I guess when it comes to schools, you have to like it or lump it. I have to work so can't homeschool my kids, not sure I would want to anyway as am sure the teachers do a better job than me. But I guess rules are rules.

I am lucky in that although my kids school is strict in some sense, I do feel they are very open to accepting different ways of thinking and learning.

• Like 2

I agree with the school on this one. It's the parents that need slapped. He's a fifth grader. 11 years old. Kids think lots of stuff is cool. We as parents can say NO.

I think there may be other factors here as well. I'll compare it to a similar case at the elementary school where my daughter goes.

There is also a 4th grader who has a mohawk. He also has his ears pierced. Wears ragged clothes to school (not just old, but dirty). Sometimes wears oversized (probably the parents old) concert shirts (ACDC/Metalica ect..). The bummer part is that he is also a distraction in class because of his bad behavior. My wife had him in her class a year ago and he was tough to deal with. She had to call the parents a couple times and they just get defensive.

A 4th grader can only have a mohawk if the parents say OK.

Our policy clearly states that any dress or grooming which is disruptive or distracting to the educational process is not acceptable. In this particular case, the student’s hairstyle did provide disruption to the classroom,' Morris said.

How would you know what is disruptive until after the fact? Did they send home a guideline more explicit than this? Because what might be a disruption to a teacher isn't disruptive to the student-body or visa versa. If every year they send home with the student dress and conduct codes and it clearly states what is acceptable and what isn't then fine, the rules were broken. If they are loosely defined as this then it's a load of bull.

Heck, every spring at my old high school the whole baseball team used to get mohawks. I see this as a tempest in a teapot.

Some teacher got their knickers in a twist because they couldn't control their students or turn it into a learning experience about the Mohawk tribe from which the hairstyle originates.

Mabon.

Edited by Mabon
  • Like 3

I agree with the school on this one. It's the parents that need slapped. He's a fifth grader. 11 years old. Kids think lots of stuff is cool. We as parents can say NO.

I think there may be other factors here as well. I'll compare it to a similar case at the elementary school where my daughter goes.

There is also a 4th grader who has a mohawk. He also has his ears pierced. Wears ragged clothes to school (not just old, but dirty). Sometimes wears oversized (probably the parents old) concert shirts (ACDC/Metalica ect..). The bummer part is that he is also a distraction in class because of his bad behavior. My wife had him in her class a year ago and he was tough to deal with. She had to call the parents a couple times and they just get defensive.

A 4th grader can only have a mohawk if the parents say OK.

OK, nevermind. I read this wrong. I thought it said 5th grader. A 5 year old in kindergarten isn't that bad. I would like to know more of how the kid acts, and if he is a disruptive child. I would also like to know if the school sent him home early or just sent him home with a note telling the parents that he cannot come back unless the hair is cut.

Conform conform conform. You are the slave, I am the master, the state knows better how to raise children then parents. Unfreaking believeable.

• Like 4

So the teacher was having a hard time controlling kids in kindergarten? The teacher is blaming a Hair Cut? Perhaps the teacher should be replaced.

• Like 5

I absolutely agree with what you say. Hey, I am a pink haired, tattoo'd Pagan mum. I guess I could fit in to the "different" category.

I guess when it comes to schools, you have to like it or lump it. I have to work so can't homeschool my kids, not sure I would want to anyway as am sure the teachers do a better job than me. But I guess rules are rules.

I am lucky in that although my kids school is strict in some sense, I do feel they are very open to accepting different ways of thinking and learning.

Haha, "different" is good in my book. :tu:

Well I think we should try harder to change schooling. It's very important for children to learn to question things and think for themselves a bit. This is why a lot of younger generations are starting to lakc common sense in my opinion. They can't think for themselves.

• Like 1

Schools have always had dress codes just like any company you work for would. You have to follow them if you are going to attend class or get a job.

• Like 4

Well I think we should try harder to change schooling. It's very important for children to learn to question things and think for themselves a bit. This is why a lot of younger generations are starting to lakc common sense in my opinion. They can't think for themselves.

It's a tough one. In the early grades K-4th, the teachers have to do as much as they can to have a disciplined class. You cannot have each kid questioning everything. There would be no time left to teach what needs taught. It also fluctuates per class. Kids like to push the limits and teachers have to keep control. It's tougher and tougher each year because many parents are relying on the schools to teach their children how to behave.

• Like 2

Oh man, you should listen to my seven year old. Im always showing him the true meaning behind alot of things, especialy on TV (which Im really close to throwing out, the TV) and asking him to always try to think outside the box. So even when he see's things that arent there, I tell him he is wrong about it, but that I really like the way he is thinking. Its hard at that age, cause they want to please us as parents. I dont want to make a robotic version of myself, but I dont want them to make a robotic version of what they want either.

• Like 2

It's a tough one. In the early grades K-4th, the teachers have to do as much as they can to have a disciplined class. You cannot have each kid questioning everything. There would be no time left to teach what needs taught. It also fluctuates per class. Kids like to push the limits and teachers have to keep control. It's tougher and tougher each year because many parents are relying on the schools to teach their children how to behave.

Yep, things like this probably wouldnt be a problem, but there are so many of us who have kids, but dont want to be parents.

• Like 3

Pfft. I think this is ridiculous. If it were dyed some neon color then maybe, but it's just a tiny little mohawk ffs...

Disruptive? When are 5-year-olds NOT distracted by something else? If it's not a haircut, it's a fly buzzing around the room, or Spiderman on someone's back pack. Just tell them to sit down as you would with any other distraction. They would have lost interest in a day or two anyway. The teacher just didn't like it and made an excuse to have it cut. That's what I think...

• Like 4

Yep, things like this probably wouldnt be a problem, but there are so many of us who have kids, but dont want to be parents.

It's amazing what it's like at the elementary level nowdays. So many kids with no discipline or manners. Many children know that the teacher cannot really do anyting to them. That leaves the parents. Unfortunately too many parents choose to take their kids side no matter what. Growing up, I knew that if my folks got a call from the school, it's be my dad's belt that would be dealing with me.

Edited by Myles
  • Like 1

Good lord, what will all these schools ever do if 80's hairdos ever make a comeback?

• Like 9

It's amazing what it's like at the elementary level nowdays. So many kids with no discipline or manners. Many children know that the teacher cannot really do anyting to them. That leaves the parents. Unfortunately too many parents choose to take their kids side no matter what. Growing up, I knew that if my folks got a call from the school, it's be my dad's belt that would be dealing with me.

No doubt. Im so lucky my boy goes to one of the best elementary schools in the state. Well as far as public schools go. I had to actualy convince my son that its ok if he got in trouble when confronting a bully. They have those kids on lock. But in the next town over, the schools are crazy. looking at the difference though, it really isnt the schools, its the parents.

• Like 2

Agree on all of that, it's got be balanced. If more parents taught their children a lot more and taught them how to be respectful and act around others it would be a lot easier to sort the schooling system.

My Grandad taught me about respect, manners and all that stuff on top of teaching me how to tie my shoelaces, tell the time, basic maths etc all before the school did. Those things (well not basic math as soem people sturggle with math, so ti wouldn't fair)) should be taught at home. I spent many bored days in school while the class was being taught about things I knew from being at home. My grandad also worked offshore on oil rigs so he was away every fortnight. No excuse to not spend some time with your child and teach them things really.

Schools have always had dress codes just like any company you work for would. You have to follow them if you are going to attend class or get a job.

That's true to a degree, but a alot of jobs don't mind people having mowhawks. lol

Oh man, you should listen to my seven year old. Im always showing him the true meaning behind alot of things, especialy on TV (which Im really close to throwing out, the TV) and asking him to always try to think outside the box. So even when he see's things that arent there, I tell him he is wrong about it, but that I really like the way he is thinking. Its hard at that age, cause they want to please us as parents. I dont want to make a robotic version of myself, but I dont want them to make a robotic version of what they want either.

That's good, If I have children I will be raising them like that.

Me and my housemate don't watch programs on proper TV, we got rid of our TV licence (in the UK) and we just watch things on demand services online and take nothing seriously. lol You can watch certian films and TV programs if you only looka t them as entertainment and not education if you know what i mean. I wouldn't let my children watch ahlf the garbage on tv now though. It's horrible what they have on, especially these stupid reality TV programs etc. Brain rotting trash. I only really watch walking dead, game of thrones and comedy stuff like family guy etc.

Pfft. I think this is ridiculous. If it were dyed some neon color then maybe, but it's just a tiny little mohawk ffs...

Disruptive? When are 5-year-olds NOT distracted by something else? If it's not a haircut, it's a fly buzzing around the room, or Spiderman on someone's back pack. Just tell them to sit down as you would with any other distraction. They would have lost interest in a day or two anyway. The teacher just didn't like it and made an excuse to have it cut. That's what I think...

That's true, I also think that a teachers ability to keep children intrested should be taken into account. Nobody learns when they are bored to death. lol

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 2

Thankfully, the schools around where I live don't ban for mohawks. I see a number of kids walking to school every morning and there are a few with goofy haircuts. Of course, I don't think mohawks are goofy. They're just... hair.

All that teacher had to say to the class was "Everyone sit down now. You can check out Jr's hair at recess." DONE. If the teacher doesn't have the respect of the kids to make that stick, then there are MUCH bigger problems in that class that have nothing to do with a mohawk.

• Like 5

Wow, I was really expecting something a big more shocking then what the photo shows. There's probably at least 10 or more kids at my kid's school with a similar cut. Just this morning I saw a second grader with the "Avengers" symbol shaved into the back of his head.

Edited by sarah_444
  • Like 2

Good lord, what will all these schools ever do if 80's hairdos ever make a comeback?

I see Jr and High school aged kids walking back and forth to school every day since I live on the same street as the schools. I'm seeing some seriously long hair on the boys, but it hasn't reached the 80s Aqua Net stiffened heights yet, just the volume. LOL.

• Like 2

Its a dress code.

Is this really the issue one should be willing to fall on the sword for?

I get the whole "Conform or die" rebuttal but really?

Just send your kid to school following the simple rules, we have to obey rules everyday in society and they are not all designed to kill our individuallity.

I doubt the kid will be eternally damaged by conforming to a dress code.

I am a big fan of freedom but even i can realize that freedom doesnt mean do as you damn well please.

Even in this case freedom can be achieved, the parents could leave the mohawk and simply homeschool the child.

Freedom at its best.

• Like 1