Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Boy banned from school for Mohawk haircut

Commander CMG

Good lord, what will all these schools ever do if 80's hairdos ever make a comeback?

Comeback? I've been wearing this gorgeous mullet since 1984. The style never left us.

• Like 4

Good lord, what will all these schools ever do if 80's hairdos ever make a comeback?

I was thinking the SAME thing! How about if you kid has a mullet? Would that be considered "disruptive"? :w00t:

Business in the front, party in the back....

Comeback? I've been wearing this gorgeous mullet since 1984. The style never left us.

:tu: Now, THAT is style...

• Like 2

Teaching kids that being an individual is wrong seems legit.

Let's instill in their fragile little minds that we are all sheep.

We must do as all the other sheep do.

• Like 1

Agree on all of that, it's got be balanced. If more parents taught their children a lot more and taught them how to be respectful and act around others it would be a lot easier to sort the schooling system.

My Grandad taught me about respect, manners and all that stuff on top of teaching me how to tie my shoelaces, tell the time, basic maths etc all before the school did. Those things (well not basic math as soem people sturggle with math, so ti wouldn't fair)) should be taught at home. I spent many bored days in school while the class was being taught about things I knew from being at home. My grandad also worked offshore on oil rigs so he was away every fortnight. No excuse to not spend some time with your child and teach them things really.

I applaud your Grandad. Your class also benifitted from his actions. Every minute the teacher didn't have to work with you was another minute they could work with another child.

• Like 1

I was thinking the SAME thing! How about if you kid has a mullet? Would that be considered "disruptive"? :w00t:

Business in the front, party in the back....

:tu: Now, THAT is style...

I've seen what kids call a mohawk and that is not a true mohawk style. The dudes I used to hang around with in high school that would listen to Black Flag and Suicidal Tendencies had mohawks. They knew how to style it for school though. They would split the hair and comb it back so it just looked like it was styled with the sides shaved, no problems. The teachers, principals and everyone knew that they'd go in the boys room after school and spike their hair up, it was no big deal... Once again, its the "you gotta accept me" mentality which doesn't work real well in the real world...

• Like 3

Rules are rules.

I agree. And rules should be followed. But rules and policy can also be changed if deemed unfair or unnecessary. IF the parents of the mohawk boy feel strongly enough about this matter, there are courses of action that they can take to try and change this rule. Or any rule for that matter.

• Like 3

I agree. And rules should be followed. But rules and policy can also be changed if deemed unfair or unnecessary. IF the parents of the mohawk boy feel strongly enough about this matter, there are courses of action that they can take to try and change this rule. Or any rule for that matter.

That is absolutely correct. There are ways to make rule changes. Going to the media probably is not the best way of doing it in this case.

• Like 2

I applaud your Grandad. Your class also benifitted from his actions. Every minute the teacher didn't have to work with you was another minute they could work with another child.

Thank you, he's a great man. Yeah that is true, just a shame some of the teachers didn't like the way he taught me some things. Llike with Maths, when you have to show your workings, my grandad taught me some of them differently and my teachers made me do it their way which wasn't too bad as I was good at Math, but it was annoying. lol

• Like 1

That's right. Conform or be cast out! Don't forget to smile!

• Like 3

Thank you, he's a great man. Yeah that is true, just a shame some of the teachers didn't like the way he taught me some things. Llike with Maths, when you have to show your workings, my grandad taught me some of them differently and my teachers made me do it their way which wasn't too bad as I was good at Math, but it was annoying. lol

My daughters are taught a different way of doing some of their math too. It can get frusterating, but I understand why they need to show their work. Too many calculators.

• Like 2

People keep saying the "rules are the rules" except if you read the article, there was no specific rule about mohawks. None. There's some vague statement about hairstyles and clothing not being disruptive.

My complaint is if some kids adorable little mohawk is a distruption the teacher can't control in five or less words... the problem isn't the haircut.

• Like 1

Little Kids follow trends,have you noticed the latest Beckham haircut,there are thousands copying their idols,its considered Cool by all kids.The mum should say stuff them and take him somewhere else.

People keep saying the "rules are the rules" except if you read the article, there was no specific rule about mohawks. None. There's some vague statement about hairstyles and clothing not being disruptive.

My complaint is if some kids adorable little mohawk is a distruption the teacher can't control in five or less words... the problem isn't the haircut.

I think they have to draw the line somewhere and this is where they decided to draw it.

I think they have to draw the line somewhere and this is where they decided to draw it.

I'm not a big fan of vague rules with arbitrary lines being drawn. It's setting the people up who are suppose to be following the rules for failure.

I reiterate that if a fully grown, educated, adult in charge of the class can't get five year old kids to sit down with 5-10 words and 3 seconds, the problem isn't the haircut. I'm not a teacher, but I can get a class of 25 five year olds to pay attention to me and do what I ask... in under 10 seconds.

• Like 1

I'm not a big fan of vague rules with arbitrary lines being drawn. It's setting the people up who are suppose to be following the rules for failure.

I reiterate that if a fully grown, educated, adult in charge of the class can't get five year old kids to sit down with 5-10 words and 3 seconds, the problem isn't the haircut. I'm not a teacher, but I can get a class of 25 five year olds to pay attention to me and do what I ask... in under 10 seconds.

I bet you can't.

It's not as easy as you think.

I bet you can't.

It's not as easy as you think.

Oh I know I can... I've done it. You just have to be slightly creative. It doesn't take much to redirect the attention of five year olds! LOL

• Like 1

It's just different nowdays. The kids are so poorly behaved that half the time is spent babysitting. It's different from school to school to. Lower income communities tend to have more poorly behaved kids. My wife is at a nicer elementary school now and she doesn't have many issues. When she was at another school, it was chaos. You get 5-6 kids (out of 25) who refuse to be quiet and half your time is wasted. You call their parents, send them to the office, try to reason with them, give the behaved kids bonus' (gold star, recognition). There are some who refuse to behave. That comes from home. Lack of parenting.

Hair.

Its Hair, people.

Is this really such a big deal?

Some people seem to think a simple dress code is the end of civilization as we know it.

Lighten up.

I always thought the same with school uniforms.

It's a place of learning not a prison.

His style doesn't even look that distracting to me... looks pretty subtle as mohawks go.

The same can be said in another way. It's a place of learning not a fashion show. I would love to see more uniforms required.

I agree with you, his hair is pretty tame compared to some I have seen.

The teacher and school where wrong.its only a 5 year old and i bet it was not even a full Mohawk.if the kid is a good student why should he be banned

The teacher and school where wrong.its only a 5 year old and i bet it was not even a full Mohawk.if the kid is a good student why should he be banned

If the kid was good and had a symbol of hate, would you allow that?

If the kid was good and had a symbol of hate, would you allow that?

Thats 2 completely different things. A Mohawk is not a symbol of hate it is a simple haircut.

~Thanato

Thats 2 completely different things. A Mohawk is not a symbol of hate it is a simple haircut.

~Thanato

I know i ddint say a Mohawk was

That doesn't work. You cannot ban styles based off of if the kid is good or bad.

The school was only wrong if they just sent him home without talking to the parents first. If they talked with the parents and told him wouldn't be allowed back without a haircut, it would be OK. Then it is up to the parents to make a choice of what is more important. School or a "cool" haircut.