Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dust or strange orb?

skullx

I was going through some recent security camera footage when this caught my eye. The recording was triggered by motion detection, never recorded anything like it before and it never showed up again. It was a clear calm night, almost looks like it has a reflection in the window. Thought I would look on the internet for an answer/opinions?

I've uploaded the clip to Youtube at the following link as the file was to big to upload.

[media=]

[/media]

Thanks

Darcy

New Zealand

Edit: I now realise there are multiple topics on this phenomenon.

Edited by skullx

Could it be a moth? Interestingly, there seems to be a second one that comes from the left when the first moves away off camera to the right.

I can see that its a security camera and its outside. The orb is fly flying around if you ask me, they are usually attracted to light at night.

• Like 1

Yes that is what I'm thinking too Murk, but usually insects like moths are quite distinguishable in the recordings if I've come across them. Thought it was strange either way.

Thanks for the comments.

Thanks for posting it :) and welcome to UM!

It looks like an orb to me. Pretty cool, you caught it on video.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate orbs... 95% of orb photos/videos are Dust. the other 5% are just energy. A common misses conception is "Orb = Ghost" this is not the case. Orbs just = Energy. That's it...

Now it's believed that ghost use energy in the atmosphere to make themselves visible and do other ghost stuff that we contribute to a haunting, so the presence of orbs is a good sign that a Ghost MAY be around in the same way that the presence of food is a good sign that a animal MAY live some place, but mice doesn't always = Cats and orbs doesn't always = Ghost...

• Like 1

Orbs cannot be submitted as 'Evidence' of paranormal activity for a myriad of reasons, but the biggest being just about anything creates an orb, dust, water, snow, any type of particulate in the air and especially bugs. Mosquitoes cause amazing looking orbs, yet they are indeed, bugs. The thing about being an actual scientific investigator of anything, whether it be Paranormal or another area of study, there is a set of rules that one must follow in order to have their findings submitted as fact. One of these is being able to replicate and test your hypothesis in a completely controlled environment. One cannot achieve this when it comes to orbs without setting up a completely airlocked system, where no dust, particulates, bugs etc could possibly be present.

I could go on and on, as I have many times in the past, but the bottom line is, whether you believe in "orbs" or not as being paranormal, when thinking of yourself as an "investigator of the paranormal," you must dismiss Orbs as evidence for the above mentioned reason (among many more). If you don't, then you are simply hindering the field, and also your own credibility as an "investigator" because the scientific community truly will not accept it.

I'm just speaking from the view of investigators that truly want to get to the bottom of what could be happening and are wanting mainstream science to hop on board. Until the Paranormal Community starts realizing that there is a Scientific Standard of Operations Procedure that must be adhered to when doing these types of studies, they will remain a laughing stock and a joke, and furthermore, will bring the Paranormal Community even further down in to a non-credible study.

Colorado ....you should have a "ghost hunting" show, it would have to be on NGC or something with a patient audience hehe, but I would watch!

• Like 1

I hate orbs... 95% of orb photos/videos are Dust. the other 5% are just energy. A common misses conception is "Orb = Ghost" this is not the case. Orbs just = Energy. That's it...

What kind of energy? And how has it been measured?

The orb at the right side has a strange trajectory. So if rule out dust, what's left is either insect or something...

Jesus H Christ, people!!

There is nothing paranormal about so called orbs. Orbs (like Rods) are photographic artifacts – specifically bits of airborne dust, water droplets, snow, insects etc, caught in the flash of a camera. With the introduction of the digital flash camera they are so common that most Ghost hunters have lost interest in them. They know what they are.

Some causes of photographic artifacts are listed below, none of them paranormal.

• Dust on the lens.
  • Dirt in the camera.
  • Internal reflections in the lens structure, also known as "lens flare".
  • Deliberate multiple exposures.
  • Objects very close to lens.
  • Poor quality digital cameras.
  • Poor quality optics.
  • Deliberate digital editing of photographs.
  • Flash reflections from shiny objects in the room.
  • Contamination during processing of conventional film.
  • Contamination during printing of conventional prints.
  • Scanner anomalies.
  • Dust on the scanner glass.
  • Bad or outdated film.

Example images here - http://en.wikipedia....ki/Orb_(optics)

Orbs Explained http://pyrrho.s5.com/orbs.html

Edited by Hazzard
  • Like 3

The only way this would be paranormal is if grandma was reincarnated as an insect.

facepalm.jpg

StarTrekNov25-donotwant.jpg