Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sorcery in the 20th Century?

pitchp

http://news.ninemsn....-sorcery-murder

One woman is dead and another is in hiding after a brutal sorcery-related murder in Bougainville, Papua New Guinea police say.

In the new modern times that we live in does sorcery still exists?? Why are people still believing this stuff?? Is anyone here still practice sorcery??

Gandalf-vs-El-Balrog-gandalf-7018563-1280-960.jpg

Mate, your article answers the question itself. It's in Papua New Guinea, not the most advanced of places in the best of times. Remember, cannibalism was a common practice in Papua New Guinea as recently as the twentieth century, and there are still some tribes in the wildest western region of Papua New Guinea which are said to still maintain the practice. So I don't understand why you would find their belief in sorcery so amazing. Hell, people in most places in Africa still believe in sorcery and things like described in the article is also an occurrence there.

• Like 3

A mob loping off the head of a woman is not sorcery. Brutality yes sorcery no.

• Like 5

I fail to see where the US is any less primitive; it's just the type of supernaturalism that is different.

• Like 1

I fail to see where the US is any less primitive; it's just the type of supernaturalism that is different.

Wait, what? When was the last time someone in the USA had their head removed by an unruly mob for any type of "supernaturalism"?

• Like 3

A mob loping off the head of a woman is not sorcery. Brutality yes sorcery no.

Now, if that headless corpse gets up and starts walking around, then you got something!

• Like 5

Video snipped

I saw Life of Brian, but never this before. What I saw shows the intellectual capacity of far to many blockheads, and as for priests banging their heads with wood, well, there's a lot of that here as well. In fact sometimes when I Iog on all I hear is the sound of people banging their heads against a wall, again and again and again

• Like 1

Wait, what? When was the last time someone in the USA had their head removed by an unruly mob for any type of "supernaturalism"?

No we just get high and eat people's faces off.

• Like 2

Thousands of people practice variations of it around the world. It's more prevalent in less developed areas. Innocent individuals are victimized by "sorcerer hunts" when they are blamed or scapegoated for misfortunes. Such mass hysteria takes place on a relatively routine basis in some parts of the world.

My observation of supernaturalism in the States is that while witch hunts occur, the main supernaturalism is the majority belief in creationism. Might as well believe in witches.

My observation of supernaturalism in the States is that while witch hunts occur, the main supernaturalism is the majority belief in creationism. Might as well believe in witches.

Hence the high incarceration rate of sarcastic atheists. Yep, we're just like Salem in the 1600s.

• 2 weeks later...

Unruly mobs, no, but every few years or so, somebody in the US does end up getting killed during an attempted exorcism.

As mentioned, the sort of thing in the article is surprisingly prevalent in the third world compared to us.. You may recall the hubbub in Africa over a rash of daring magical penis thefts by local sorcerers, some resulting in the killing of the suspects, and this in supposedly more civilized areas than the wilds of New Guinea.

http://whitelocust.w...c-hits-capital/

http://www.psmag.com...epublic-53341/?

Perhaps we just have more human boogiemen to be afraid of..

Edited by Oniomancer

It will keep continuing..

Unless we suddenly lose our rights?

I'm just saying that I'm sure a lot of "sorcery" has gone down unnoticed.

Just people that are doing the whims they feel right to invoke favor.

I know about "demons" and exorcisms from Priests gone astray.

I've had first had experiences that have made me further apart of what I've studied.

If I had the mind to hold the camera over the fight of my being I would've tried to film it.

It will keep continuing..

Unless we suddenly lose our rights?

I'm just saying that I'm sure a lot of "sorcery" has gone down unnoticed.

Just people that are doing the whims they feel right to invoke favor.

I know about "demons" and exorcisms from Priests gone astray.

I've had first had experiences that have made me further apart of what I've studied.

If I had the mind to hold the camera over the fight of my being I would've tried to film it.

Much of it comes down to mental control and mental power. It's more natural than supernatural. It doesn't need extraneous ceremonies, costumes, incantations, etc.. Most of it is about the mind.

This stuff goes on in south America and Haiti ,all the time ,it just gets no press. Sorcery is very much alive .

In the new modern times that we live in does sorcery still exists?? Why are people still believing this stuff??

Plenty of people here in the U.S still believe in magic, fairies, spells and all sorts of fantasies so it doesn't matter where one is from but rather the psychological maturity.

I am sure there are kids and adults in our own country being mutilated because of some kooky beliefs; we just don't hear about them.

Witchcraft in Africa,Voodoo dolls in Haiti, but I always say Thankyou to the lady who lives in the automatic checkout machine in the Supermarket,when she tells you to pay and remove your shopping.

• 2 weeks later...

You cannot be serious? The USA does worse than simple decapitation to a single person.

The Cuban Embargo is not targeting one specific criminal, but an entire country of innocent people. The denial of trades between an island and the rest of the world is in essence our country attempting to commit mass genocide by way of starvation. Sure, we failed because the people have found a way around the Embargo, but that does not mean we did not intend to kill them all by starving them to death.

Not to mention, 'Merican troops are taught to injure the enemy as opposed to killing them humanely when they are out numbered.

"When you injure an enemy it forces the combatives to care for their wounded, which can turn a seemingly larger mass of people into a smaller fighting force"

But wait you mean actively engage in human torture because you were not prepared to fight fairly?

Decapitation is nothing.

As for sorcery, yep alive and well... ;)

Edited by xFelix

You cannot be serious? The USA does worse than simple decapitation to a single person.

The Cuban Embargo is not targeting one specific criminal, but an entire country of innocent people. The denial of trades between an island and the rest of the world is in essence our country attempting to commit mass genocide by way of starvation. Sure, we failed because the people have found a way around the Embargo, but that does not mean we did not intend to kill them all by starving them to death.

Not to mention, 'Merican troops are taught to injure the enemy as opposed to killing them humanely when they are out numbered.

"When you injure an enemy it forces the combatives to care for their wounded, which can turn a seemingly larger mass of people into a smaller fighting force"

But wait you mean actively engage in human torture because you were not prepared to fight fairly?

Decapitation is nothing.

As for sorcery, yep alive and well... ;)

I think you have the context of my objection completely wrong. I am talking about people believing a sorcerer needs to be killed in America. When was the last time this occurred? I am not talking about international politics or what governments/military do, just what your average Joe does when he is faced with the death of a family member and the belief that this death occurred because the cat lady who lives around the corner is believed to be a "witch" or any other such unsubstantiated superstitious based nonsense.

Please allow my comments to remain within the context of what I was replying to and the subject of this thread and no I am not joking, show me where in America someone has been beheaded because they have been accused of sorcery or witchcraft by a mob of people?

I think you have the context of my objection completely wrong. I am talking about people believing a sorcerer needs to be killed in America. When was the last time this occurred? I am not talking about international politics or what governments/military do, just what your average Joe does when he is faced with the death of a family member and the belief that this death occurred because the cat lady who lives around the corner is believed to be a "witch" or any other such unsubstantiated superstitious based nonsense.

Please allow my comments to remain within the context of what I was replying to and the subject of this thread and no I am not joking, show me where in America someone has been beheaded because they have been accused of sorcery or witchcraft by a mob of people?

So abiding to your original context in it's entirety, we still do much worse.

Decapitation is a quick way of dying which produces little pain or discomfort, although it is utterly gross.

In 'Merica we do what is known as shunning. For example, I am pagan but I cannot vote because my voting location is a Church. If I do go to said Church I have to deal with hundreds of angry Christians firing slurs at me, and some even attempting to get physical. We cannot shop at the same places, we cannot agree on politics because in 'Merica all politics are based around Christianity, and the media constantly reports inaccurate accounts of your "devil worship" radicalizing all those who already oppose your faith. While this may seem like nothing, you try wearing that your entire life knowing most people will not just end you.. They rather let you live so they can continue to torture you. But you still have to be very careful of where you go or what you do, because you can easily become the next victim of that one nut who firmly believes in us vs witches.

This is done on an individual level by the way, just as you asked.

10 seconds of pain vs a lifetime of torture and hatred... You be the judge of what is worse.

Note: Cause I know you're going to ask how this is on the individual level, it all starts with 1 person having the hatred for anyone who doesn't have his faith, then he spreads this one by one to his closest family and friends which then start spreading it to their family and friends and eventually it gets spread to members of the press, who then spread their very own individualized hatred outwards to millions.

Here is an example: http://abcnews.go.co...95#.UY-sgaLvuE1

As you see, one person spreading their own hatred outwards reached millions in a single area. Now anybody of that faith living within that area is treated as an animal, and must watch where they go because around any corner can lie a radical willing to end them in the name of.. God. This will not blow over actually, it will just spark more of the same kinds of hatred and punishment.. for no reason other than you are witches and we are not, a lifetime of punishment.

Edited by xFelix

Sorcery is alive and well; sorcery that works is another question. You can kill someone by convincing them they will die, but is that sorcery or just headism.

• Like 1