Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ex-Prime Minister Baroness Thatcher dies

Daughter of the Nine Moons

I don't need to read anything I lived in Thatchers Britain and i stand by what i say.

As did I.

I have to admit ive been disgusted by the foul comments on fb and the like regarding her death. You may not have liked the woman but she was a mother and human being, people should have some goddam respect.

• Like 3

I have to admit ive been disgusted by the foul comments on fb and the like regarding her death. You may not have liked the woman but she was a mother and human being, people should have some goddam respect.

She was, but she didn't give a damn about the mothers and the human beings whos' lives she ruined, there are places that never fully recovered from what she did. Places where people would still spit if you mentioned her name.

Maybe I'm just a product of where I grew up and what I've been told during my upbringing about her, but it seems the haves loved her, and the have nots hated her. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like 2

Freedom of Speech is to be protected at all costs.

• Like 1

Freedom of Speech is to be protected at all costs.

Unless you're criticizing Islam of course.

• Like 5

OH the woman who helped BP buy Azerbaljan or some country like that. Oh yes, I remember her. She helped BP own a country.

BTW, I have no respect for her. None.

I will not cry when Big Daddy Bush dies either. I always look in the news, daily, to see if he is dead yet. It is a great expectation of mine that I see his obit soon.

Edited by regeneratia

Love her or hate her, she will also be remembered for being the first female Prime Minister, which was an amazing achievement back then... RIP Maggie.

Edited by Star of the Sea
  • Like 2

As a Politician, she has to be judged by what she did. On this point, i just heard on the news mr. david Cameroon's fulsome eulogy, among which was that she helped win the Cold War. This is somehting that many others have also given her plaudits for. How did she, exactly? By standing shoulder to shoulder with Ron? By letting the Americans station Missiles in the UK? i.e. was her contribution to winning the Cold War just to let the Americans do whatever they wanted?

And besides, did the West win the Cold War at all? Was it not because the USSR was crumbling from within, exacerbated by Gorby's "reforms" (and there's someone who's another, as has been discussed in the Obama Peace Prize thread, who's adored in the west, but whose legacy was basically to destroy his own country. Really, what he did was tantamount to treason, but this is probably wandering off course a little now), and because the cost of the the clearup after Chernobyl virtually bankrupted the USSR?

• Like 3

who's adored in the west, but whose legacy was basically to destroy his own country. Really, what he did was tantamount to treason, but this is probably wandering off course a little now), and because the cost of the the clearup after Chernobyl virtually bankrupted the USSR?

Gorbachev was hated for years after fall of SU, now he is simply ignored. Between him, Reagan, Thatcher and Yeltsin, millions lost pensions, jobs. Criminals like the scum Berezovsky had the oportunity to engage on theft on a scale never seen before. These scum politicians play with peoples lives without any care for the consequences. I cheer when any of them die

Regan, Thatcher and Gorbachev remade the world into a much more peaceful, prosperous place. They didn't solve all the world's problems but what they did made these problems much less severe and dangerous.

The vituperation of some of the messages I read here is just astonishing and sickening.

• Like 3

Regan, Thatcher and Gorbachev remade the world into a much more peaceful, prosperous place. They didn't solve all the world's problems but what they did made these problems much less severe and dangerous.

The vituperation of some of the messages I read here is just astonishing and sickening.

"The danger from nuclear weapons, thanks to places like N. Korea and Iran, is probably greater now than it was during the Cold war", as I read someone say only this week. And then there's the danger from Terrorism (which was sponsored by the Good guys just as much, if not considerably more so, than the Commies), global capitalism exploiting resources and entire populations for their own ends; what exactly has the world gained from the triumph of Thatcher, Ron and Gorby?

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh
  • Like 1

This is wishful thinking. All three engaged in agressive colonial wars. All three involved themselves with upward redistribution of cash which has created fundamentally less stable societies. All three set the foundations for the credit crisis we are living with today.

I suppose you really had to live through the Thatcher "revolution" to understand how people can hate a person so much. I did.

Br Cornelius

This is wishful thinking. All three engaged in agressive colonial wars. All three involved themselves with upward redistribution of cash which has created fundamentally less stable societies. All three set the foundations for the credit crisis we are living with today.

I suppose you really had to live through the Thatcher "revolution" to understand how people can hate a person so much. I did.

Br Cornelius

You would think that if her policies were so damaging to society at large, then the next labour government would have immediately reversed them.....how many of her policies did they reverse again?

• Like 2

The death of a human being is no cause for celebration.She did what she thought was best for Britain,and who is doing that now ?.It will be a long time before we see another Proper Leader.They are too busy lining their own pockets and back stabbing each other .But I would rather have her than the Blair witch,or wimpy Clegg.......R.I.P. Ma'am.

• Like 3

You would think that if her policies were so damaging to society at large, then the next labour government would have immediately reversed them.....how many of her policies did they reverse again?

New Labour was Thatcher lite. She even openly said that New Labour was her proudest achievement. Every single policy of Thatcher was continued under Blair , but with a bit of edge softening and window dressing to make it all a bit more palletable. The only thing most Tories have to complain about with New Labour was the softening which cost massive amounts of money to little tangible end.

Br Cornelius

The death of a human being is no cause for celebration.She did what she thought was best for Britain,and who is doing that now ?.It will be a long time before we see another Proper Leader.They are too busy lining their own pockets and back stabbing each other .But I would rather have her than the Blair witch,or wimpy Clegg.......R.I.P. Ma'am.

Thatcher invented the rule book of pocket lining. All modern politicans are following in her footsteps.

Br Cornelius

New Labour was Thatcher lite. She even openly said that New Labour was her proudest achievement. Every single policy of Thatcher was continued under Blair , but with a bit of edge softening and window dressing to make it all a bit more palletable. The only thing most Tories have to complain about with New Labour was the softening which cost massive amounts of money to little tangible end.

Br Cornelius

Exactly, so this idea that she split the nation isn't true....sure there are those that hate her, but it's not as evenly split as many say. Even after the miners problems, she won another election no problem....labour continued her policies and won 3 elections off the back of them.

New labour could not have existed without Thatcher first. They rode the wave of degregulation which inflated the money supply massively whilst continuing to destroy the productive base of the economy. The only thing people cared about was whether their property would continue to spiral up in value, and any party that didn't break the unsustainable bull run was OK by those sitting on imagined equity - until the bubble burst.

People thought they had a choice of something different - they were duped.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

New labour could not have existed without Thatcher first. People thought they had a choice of something different - they were duped.

Br Cornelius

Duped 3 times on the spin? Do you really think the entire nation are that stupid....or is it more the case that this alternative offered of reverting back to the good ol' days isn't being bought by anyone!

Duped 3 times on the spin? Do you really think the entire nation are that stupid....or is it more the case that this alternative offered of reverting back to the good ol' days isn't being bought by anyone!

I expanded my reply to address that issue - it was self interest in a property bubble. No one thought it could end. So yes as a nation I think they were fairly stupid.

Br Cornelius

With the parliamentary constituencies and first-past-the-post voting system, we invariably have a government elected on the basis of support of/from a %age minority of the electorate; you don't need the entire nation to be duped.

With the parliamentary constituencies and first-past-the-post voting system, we invariably have a government elected on the basis of support of/from a %age minority of the electorate; you don't need the entire nation to be duped.

Or, an alternative that some on here offer as being a better system then the current one, just isn't being bought by the majority.

Or, an alternative that some on here offer as being a better system then the current one, just isn't being bought by the majority.

There has been no real alternative in British Politics since the 1970's. Thats the reality.

Br Cornelius

She was, but she didn't give a damn about the mothers and the human beings whos' lives she ruined, there are places that never fully recovered from what she did. Places where people would still spit if you mentioned her name.

Maybe I'm just a product of where I grew up and what I've been told during my upbringing about her, but it seems the haves loved her, and the have nots hated her. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

She made tough choices that had good and bad effects, the same can be said for any leader. Fact was she was elected, multiple times. Thats demoracy, if you dont like it feel free to go live in North Korea.

I am sure she was aware of the negatove impacts he choices had, and she paid for them with the scorn and ridicule of much of the British population.

I see no need to revel in her death like some blood drunk savage.

• Like 1

There has been no real alternative in British Politics since the 1970's. Thats the reality.

Br Cornelius

Because of the shambles the alternative was, that's why no one has tried replicating it. State owned services, lack of inspiration, inflated governments patting you on the head telling you "don't worry, we'll hold your hand and look after you"....it's a model that stifles initiative, and makes people look at the government for answers, rather then grabbing the bull by the horns and making their own luck....

I hope in my lifetime we never return to those ways, that mentality.....the worlds moved on. I want tiny governments, concerned with just a few things, Nhs, Defence, minimal regulation....other then that I just want them stay out my life.

• Like 3