Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fracking map of N. America

OverSword

It goes on more than people think, sometimes with disastrous results.

• Like 1

Thanks for this. I'll read more about it later.

• Like 1

I think all the sudden sinkholes ,are a direct result of fracking . They're destroying the earth crust,ans moving tectonic plates .*******s !,

• Like 3

I wish they would add all the proposed fracking sites as well.

• Like 2

They don't want you to know about them, protesters and such.

• Like 3

That Dick Cheney made it so that fracking was exempted from the provisions of the Clean Water Act speaks volumes. They KNOW they are injecting poisons into the earth and our water supply, but they did it anyway.

I'm thankful that in my part of Florida the practice would not produce what they want.

• Like 3

I think you can fairly assume that if they're putting in a well, it's going to be fracked. The easy-reach stuff is mostly gone. What's left requires fracking.

I'm not surprised by that cluster of accidents in Pennsylvania. The strata are contorted and there are a lot of unknown faults there for a charge to blow out along.

I think that fracking is getting the blame for a lot of things it had nothing to do with. The main example is earthquakes. It's injection wells that lubricate a fault and allow it to slip. Fracking doesn't do that. Even then, the only way anything can trigger an earthquake is if there's a lot of pressure already built up on the fault; the fault is already getting close to the rupture point. In that case, injection simply releases it. Injection speeds up what was going to happen anyway. If fracking has ever caused an earthquake, that's how it did it.

Another thought: fracking occurs at a depth of several thousand feet, often two miles down or even deeper. The well casings are made of concrete and bonded to the rock so they don't leak. It's a little hard to explain a "fracking accident" that didn't disturb an overlying aquifer.

Doug

• Like 2

Doug

I think it was last month's Mother Jones, maybe month before, that covered some earthquakes there in Oklahoma. Studies were done by a few different outfits, and either fracking or the deep well injection was the most likely cause of them, as apparently Oklahoma doesn't usually have earthquakes.

• Like 1

Doug

I think it was last month's Mother Jones, maybe month before, that covered some earthquakes there in Oklahoma. Studies were done by a few different outfits, and either fracking or the deep well injection was the most likely cause of them, as apparently Oklahoma doesn't usually have earthquakes.

It was injection. Interesting that Mother Jones published it - the epicenter was at Jones, Oklahoma. There've been quite a few small ones in that area of late. Some folks think the Rio Grande rift is reactivating. There's a triple-junction on it in the San Luis valley in Colorado. An eastern rift reaches all the way to Oklahoma in the basement rock. Passes somewhere near OKC and Jones. There's a real nice winery four miles east of Jones, in case you ever get down that way.

Doug

• Like 1