Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US Navy laser shoots down drone

ChewiesArmy

http://abcnews.go.co...-drone-18907970

My question, how low long before they perfect the tech to place on staellites?

They probably already have. The tech might not be deployed though, since the nations that might have that ability have all signed treaties that promise never to militarise space with WMDs or nukes. Perhaps, though, the U.S. does not classify lasers as WMDs?

• Like 2

this sounds awsome!

• Like 1

They probably already have. The tech might not be deployed though, since the nations that might have that ability have all signed treaties that promise never to militarise space with WMDs or nukes. Perhaps, though, the U.S. does not classify lasers as WMDs?

Is that the reason Reagan never followed through with the "Star Wars" missile defence system, well, supposedly didn't follow through with it?

Edited by ChewiesArmy

They probably already have.

That is what I think. I've always heard thtat the US military is about 20 years ahead of what is currently publically known. I'd not be surprised if dozens or hundreds of these orbital lasers are not sitting in a warehouse somewhere.

• Like 1

i hope tese lasers are cheap to build and can be stationed on trucks. Rapidly deployed they would be an excellent defense screen against just about any airborne attack.

• Like 1

This is cool. But how do we know we dont have star wars up and running.

Space lasers are never going to be a thing due to the energy loss. If I recall correctly, there are international agreements concerning weaponry in space. I think the only weapon that can wiggle through these laws are the Rods from God.

International treaties that is joke right... like military cares.. anyones military for that matter..those are made wider public so you have illusion of safety...

When they go public with such things it is most likely already operational and mounted on many ships not just one... Why would you even go public with such news? More fearmongering please..

Abit offtopic... What was x-37b carrying? and to where? There is probably some sort of weapon/spy project going on.. if they didnt acutally build their own space station.. that is a good mystery..

International treaties that is joke right...

Nope. The countries pointing guns at each other take these things pretty damn seriously.

like military cares.. anyones military for that matter..

About the laws themselves? Not much. Few militaries in first-world countries have a say in international politics. Mostly, they grump about how it affects funding.

those are made wider public so you have illusion of safety...

What are you referring to when you say "those"? It sounds like you are saying something about the military, but I can't quite get what.

When they go public with such things it is most likely already operational and mounted on many ships not just one...

Absolutely. These laser defense systems are already well-distributed throughout the U.S. military.

Why would you even go public with such news? More fearmongering please..

To demoralize the enemy. Korea and China are excited that they finally reached big boy status with their new war toys. The rest of the world gives them a little smile, a pat on the head, and congratulates them for finally being ready to fight a war from the 1980's.

Abit offtopic... What was x-37b carrying? and to where? There is probably some sort of weapon/spy project going on.. if they didnt acutally build their own space station.. that is a good mystery..

Why would a spacecraft still in the experimental stages be carrying anything? They would be the most heavily watched object in the sky. If anything, they would be a distraction for something else.

Why would a spacecraft still in the experimental stages be carrying anything? They would be the most heavily watched object in the sky. If anything, they would be a distraction for something else.

Seems to me that various US satalites going up are "Confidential" in nature. Seems to me that if the US FedGov wanted to have laser sats up there, they could have a couple of them and no one would be the wiser.

Edited by DieChecker

Seems to me that various US satalites going up are "Confidential" in nature. Seems to me that if the US FedGov wanted to have laser sats up there, they could have a couple of them and no one would be the wiser.

People are always on about how we have satellites that can zoom in on the name of a matchbox from space.

Hasn't it occurred to people that if we can put those in space to look down on Earth, we can also put them here on Earth (more cheaply and far better than in space) to look at satellites in orbit? And that military engineers would be somewhat concerned at a satellite that seems to have one more 250mW tactical laser focusing lens than would be expected on an alleged TV satellite?

There are a lot of things orbiting up there, but all of them, from satellites to paint chips, are continuously monitored. It is really difficult to hide something up there.

• Like 2

People are always on about how we have satellites that can zoom in on the name of a matchbox from space.

Hasn't it occurred to people that if we can put those in space to look down on Earth, we can also put them here on Earth (more cheaply and far better than in space) to look at satellites in orbit? And that military engineers would be somewhat concerned at a satellite that seems to have one more 250mW tactical laser focusing lens than would be expected on an alleged TV satellite?

There are a lot of things orbiting up there, but all of them, from satellites to paint chips, are continuously monitored. It is really difficult to hide something up there.

Good point, if we can make the resolution of a license plate from orbit, we can surely tune a laser to hit that same license plate.

By the same clear logic, we should be able to aim these lasers up and hit a satellite or missile.

Edited by DieChecker

i hope tese lasers are cheap to build and can be stationed on trucks. Rapidly deployed they would be an excellent defense screen against just about any airborne attack.

I don't know about building them, but one article said it costs about $1 each time they are used. The article compared the cost to $1.3 million for a sidewinder.

I also think this was a good point. However, I do think that it would be possible for a laser to be concealed inside, or even disguised as, a satellite.

A question: what makes it so difficult to hide things up there?

Edited by ExpandMyMind

I don't know about building them, but one article said it costs about $1 each time they are used. The article compared the cost to $1.3 million for a sidewinder.

I am not sure what the actual cost is, but yeah, it isn't the load that costs with directed energy weapons; It's the capital cost that kills you.

I also think this was a good point. However, I do think that it would be possible for a laser to be concealed inside, or even disguised as, a satellite.

Well...at that point we start getting into James Bondian territory. Sure, anything is possible with enough money thrown at it...but then science sticks its annoying nose in:

A question: what makes it so difficult to hide things up there?

Science. If we know the approximate mass of something and its trajectory (among other things more dedicated physics geeks can add in), we can figure out approximately how it is supposed to be moving through space. If we see it correcting its orbit in a manner not consistent with what is expected, we check into it. Enter the Intel spooks, knowing what the stated purpose of the satellite is, and checking whether or not the trajectory is within reasonable parameters (or alternatively, that it isn't reasonable for a satellite of this particular purpose, but very, very reasonable for a satellite of that particular purpose).

And that's before reaching into their pockets and pulling out whatever super space-viewing micro-binoculars the American version of Q whipped up for them.

Edited by aquatus1