Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Children Forced to Throw Away Lunch

RockabyeBillie

As many as 25 students at a Massachusetts school were denied lunch this week – with at least some forced to dump their food in the garbage – because they couldn't pay, school officials and parents said.

Outraged parents said some students at Coelho Middle School in Attleboro cried when they were told by a worker for the district's food service provider they could not eat on Tuesday because they couldn't pay or their pre-paid accounts were short on funds.

The on-site director for the company, Whitsons Culinary Group of Islandia, N.Y., was placed on administrative leave by Superintendent Pia Durkin, who has also scheduled a meeting with company officials and ordered cafeteria workers not to deny any child food.

"There is no way any child in my school district will ever go hungry," Durkin told The Sun Chronicle ( ) on Wednesday. "Children need to eat." http://bit.ly/10yXr6y

Students who cannot pay or whose accounts are empty are supposed to be given a cheese sandwich and milk, but that procedure was not followed at Coelho, Durkin said.

Read More

• Like 4

ewww! Cheese sandwich?

ewww! Cheese sandwich?

A grilled cheese sandwich is not a bad thing - as long as it comes with a big bowl of tomato soup..

• Like 5

All this story is missing is some kid that made a finger gun motion and held up the lunchline and getting arrested for it.

Shameful !!

• Like 7

All this story is missing is some kid that made a finger gun motion and held up the lunchline and getting arrested for it.

I'm sure by the end of the day, that will be another story we get to post here.

• Like 2

Besides the obvious fact that it was done to children, the amount of food we throw away is absolutely disgusting. My housemate works as a book seller in a big name bookshop, she also works in their cafe. (half and half type thing) They throw out so much food with the sell by date of the next day. perfectly edible sandwiches and cakes. I'm talking full black bags. They don't allow anyone to take it. I know thta it's health and safety causing it, but at least get the employees who could take the food to sign something saying the company isn't liable if it they become ill etc. It's disgusting, money doesn't grow on trees, but food actually does.

• Like 3

Really, prisoners get free food but our children don't? Unreal :angry:

Now that's a good kid right there. At least this article does have at least one shining moment. :yes:

I dunno man...free food for kids may not be such a great thing. It'd probably be the equivalent to taco bell's 35% actual beef, or worse. lol

Edited by WoIverine
  • Like 4

In my town, they give kids without lunch money a peanut butter sandwhich.

• Like 2

Yeah she says that kids without lunch money are supposed to be given a cheese sandwich and some milk, but for some reason they didn't do it. They just wouldn't let them eat anything.

• Like 2

Yeah she says that kids without lunch money are supposed to be given a cheese sandwich and some milk, but for some reason they didn't do it. They just wouldn't let them eat anything.

It could have been an employee having a really crabby day, or just not knowing the policy and being a butt head about it...

• Like 1

Besides the obvious fact that it was done to children, the amount of food we throw away is absolutely disgusting. My housemate works as a book seller in a big name bookshop, she also works in their cafe. (half and half type thing) They throw out so much food with the sell by date of the next day. perfectly edible sandwiches and cakes. I'm talking full black bags. They don't allow anyone to take it. I know thta it's health and safety causing it, but at least get the employees who could take the food to sign something saying the company isn't liable if it they become ill etc. It's disgusting, money doesn't grow on trees, but food actually does.

There use to be a restuarant here in town that charged slightly higher for their meals (not drastically higher than most - just a bit) and if you ate everything on the plate (i.e. no waste) you were reimbursed the difference... Actually worked for a long time - but the original owner passed away and the new owners stopped the practice...

• Like 2

Until one dies from a peanut butter allergy.

Edited by Sweetpumper
  • Like 1

There use to be a restuarant here in town that charged slightly higher for their meals (not drastically higher than most - just a bit) and if you ate everything on the plate (i.e. no waste) you were reimbursed the difference... Actually worked for a long time - but the original owner passed away and the new owners stopped the practice...

I know there are coffee shops around the US where someone can buy a coffee and then pay for another (or however many they want) to put on reserve. These paid-for reserve coffees are for homeless people that can't afford to buy their own. They just go in and ask the cashier if there are any coffees on reserve and they're given one.

Until one dies from a peanut butter allergy.

You're a ray of sunshine! LOL

• Like 4

That's a shame it stopped, was a good thing.

• Like 1

Here's an easy answer for this:

Stop serving food in schools!

Schools exist to educate children, not feed them.

It shouldn't be the schools business if a student can't afford food.

• Like 1

Here's an easy answer for this:

Stop serving food in schools!

Schools exist to educate children, not feed them.

It shouldn't be the schools business if a student can't afford food.

They're supposed to go from 8am-3pm without eating?

Its a well known fact an unfed child cant learn or concentrate as well. So yes I see stopping feeding them as a future part of the agenda to dumb down our kids.

• Like 1

I know there are coffee shops around the US where someone can buy a coffee and then pay for another (or however many they want) to put on reserve. These paid-for reserve coffees are for homeless people that can't afford to buy their own. They just go in and ask the cashier if there are any coffees on reserve and they're given one.

That's pretty cool.

I wonder how they police it.

I could never work in a food pantry. My wife volunteered at one for awhile at a local church. She was just too bothered by the freeloaders. There are people who go from place to place all the time and just take the good stuff. People will drive up in nice cars, have cell phones and be dressed fairly nice. That food pantry has since gone to a program that requires those in need to register with a department in town. They must do a background check of some kind.

• Like 3

They're supposed to go from 8am-3pm without eating?

I didn't say that.

Students should be free to bring food with them and to have a designated time to eat it.

I didn't say that.

Students should be free to bring food with them and to have a designated time to eat it.

For some kids, school lunch might be the best thing they get to eat all day.

Edited by RockabyeBillie
  • Like 1

Shame on the school for not feeding the kiddies :devil: In Primary schools from low income areas in the NW they even provide breakfast for the infants.

Edited by Star of the Sea
  • Like 2

For some kids, school lunch might be the best thing they get to eat all day.

Why is that an educating facility's concern?

Edited by tapirmusic

Why is that an educating facility's concern?

Because that's where the kids are at lunch time.

• Like 3