Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Yo-Yo Ma begs for more Federal handouts

tapirmusic

Cellist Yo-Yo Ma knows the federal government is trying mightily to balance its books. The famed musician just doesn't want that to involve any cuts to existing arts funding.

Ma appeared on Capitol Hill today alongside former Guns 'N Roses drummer Matt Sorum to ask Congress to increase funding for the arts.

The group Americans for the Arts is pushing for funding to be restored to $155 million for both the National Endowment for the Arts and the National Endowment for the Humanities. Last year both agencies received about $146 million and lost about $7 million of that due to Congress' automatic budget cuts.

House Republican budget leaders have called for eliminating the two agencies altogether.

• Like 1

While I appreciate the arts there are a lot more important things that need funding than that. For my part they could cut it out all together.

• Like 1

Whats a yo-yo ma ?

Yoyo Ma and Matt Sorum. An unlikely combo. In their defense, music is probably the only things these guys know and think about. Lucky for them I like talented musicians.

Tapir, your icon! That cracked me up.

• Like 1

There is a time and a place for everything. All things considered, this is not the time or the place.

I would be more in favor of a suspension rather than an all out dismantling of the programs. maybe after things get better, they can be reinstated.

Sad really.

When I was a kid/teenager...we had art and music classes (for free). We had free sports...free marching band...there was lots of extracurricular activities. Amazing how the taxes were less back then...they spent less money (smaller percentages) and we got a lot more services. Oh well...

It was great while it lasted. I'm glad my kids are grown and out of public schools. The meat grinder of the modern school system is a pale ghost of what it was 30 to 40 years ago.

Just my opinion though...

And wouldn't it be nice if we had a President - any President really, regardless of party - who would stand up and say,

"You know, all of these are worthwhile endeavors and if we weren't in the financial situation we are now, I would gladly sign the budget that would fund them. But for now and the foreseeable future, we simply cannot afford such luxuries."

• Like 1

Hey we live in a capitalist society if they have a product worth selling people will buy it. why don't they make a band/orcestra or some such thing and go on tour then take the proceeds and fund some freaking camp or program themselves. why ask for a goverment hand out? this could be done with music they may find modern art (paintings and sculpture) a harder sell but IMHO that stuff is a load of "self promoting your little pea brain cannot begin to comprehend what I am trying to express so why should I stoop down to your level and explain it" crap.

Hey we live in a capitalist society if they have a product worth selling people will buy it. why don't they make a band/orcestra or some such thing and go on tour then take the proceeds and fund some freaking camp or program themselves. why ask for a goverment hand out? this could be done with music they may find modern art (paintings and sculpture) a harder sell but IMHO that stuff is a load of "self promoting your little pea brain cannot begin to comprehend what I am trying to express so why should I stoop down to your level and explain it" crap.

Funny what passes as art and expression. Last time I was at the museum a few years ago one of the art displays was a drop cloth, an empty bucket sitting on the cloth and a sheet of thin mil plastic draped up the wall. It looked like something I do on any given day when doing repairs in someone's house. There was nothing special. Drop cloth was slightly used, just a few random aint blotches, bucket was clean and plastic was new. It was so freaking stupid yet someone actually convinced the museum that was art worth displaying.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-
  • Like 1

I could never understand why the art programs seem to be the first in line when it comes to budget cuts.

The government should spend less money on all the 'special testing' they do on students today. It's also a huge waste of time for both the students and teachers.

Also, the contruction of renovations on schools these days drive me crazy. It's another huge waste of money.

Stop renovating schools so that they resemble shopping malls and ultra modern buildings... it's a place to go an learn, not a status symbol to show whos school district has more money. A simple building with working bathrooms, classrooms, a gym, a cafeteria and a simple sports area outside should do just fine. Why do we need these sports complexes on school grounds that resemble small professional football stadiums?

Edited by BiffSplitkins

I wasted about 15 years of my life convincing myself that I was a musician. I wish I had spent that time learning or practicing a skill that has value in the real world.

Art and music should receive zero federal dollars in my opinion.

Zero.

I wasted about 15 years of my life convincing myself that I was a musician. I wish I had spent that time learning or practicing a skill that has value in the real world.

Art and music should receive zero federal dollars in my opinion.

Zero.

Agreed. I'm an artist too.