Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Who is this ?

SHaYap

Along the top left of the pic, the third symbol up is the moon. The last symbol appears to be a beehive, which I seem to remember has some meaning, but I can't remember and could be way off.

Harte

Along the top left of the pic, the third symbol up is the moon. The last symbol appears to be a beehive, which I seem to remember has some meaning, but I can't remember and could be way off.

Harte

I haven't got a chance to put it all together proper but from wiki it seems there isn't much of an agreement about who represents what :

Both in early and in late inscriptions Shamash is designated as the "offspring of Nannar"; i.e. of the moon-god, and since, in an enumeration of the pantheon, Sin generally takes precedence of Shamash, it is in relationship, presumably, to the moon-god that the sun-god appears as the dependent power. Such a supposition would accord with the prominence acquired by the moon in the calendar and in astrological calculations, as well as with the fact that the moon-cult belongs to the nomadic and therefore earlier stage of civilization, whereas the sun-god rises to full importance only after the agricultural stage has been reached.
wiki

220px-Star_of_Shamash.pngVersion of the ancient star/sun symbol of Shamash[1]

The 1st century Judaeo-Roman historian Flavius Josephus further gives the following statement: "Ashur lived at the city of Nineve; and named his subjects Assyrians, who became the most fortunate nation, beyond others” (Antiquities, i, vi, 4).

Ashur the son of Shem is sometimes compared with the figure of the deity Ashur, for whom a temple was dedicated in the early capital city of Aššur — traditionally by an early Assyrian king named Ushpia in ca. the 21st century BC. It is highly likely that the city and indeed the Assyrian nation and people, were named in honour of this deity.[2]

wiki

Artistic and Symbolic Representations

Some scholars have claimed that Ashur was represented as the solar disc that appears frequently in Assyrian iconography, but evidence indicates that this is in fact the sun god Shamash. Many Assyrian kings had names that included the name Ashur, including, above all, Ashur-uballit I, Ashurnasirpal, Esarhaddon (Ashur-aha-iddina), and Ashurbanipal. Epithets include bêlu rabû "great lord", ab ilâni "father of gods", šadû rabû "great mountain", and il aššurî "god of Ashur". The symbols of Ashur include:

1. a winged disc with horns, enclosing four circles revolving round a middle circle; rippling rays fall down from either side of the disc;
  2. a circle or wheel, suspended from wings, and enclosing a warrior drawing his bow to discharge an arrow;
  3. the same circle; the warrior's bow, however, is carried in his left hand, while the right hand is uplifted as if to bless his worshipers (see picture).

wiki

200px-Ashur_god.jpg A Neo-Assyrian "feather robed archer" figure, symbolizing Ashur.

Sin had a beard made of lapis lazuli and rode on a winged bull. The bull was one of his symbols, through his father, Enlil, "Bull of Heaven", along with the crescent and the tripod (which may be a lamp-stand). On cylinder seals, he is represented as an old man with a flowing beard and the crescent symbol. In the astral-theological system he is represented by the number 30 and the moon. This number probably refers to the average number of days (correctly around 29.53) in a lunar month, as measured between successive new moons.
wiki

250px-Khashkhamer_seal_moon_worship.jpg Impression of the cylinder seal of Ḫašḫamer, ensi (high priest) of Sin at Iškun-Sin ca. 2100 BC.

In other texts Adad/Ishkur is sometimes son of the moon god Nanna/Sin by Ningal and brother of Utu/Shamash and Inana/Ishtar. He is also occasionally son of Enlil.

wiki

200px-Ramman.png

Assyrian soldiers carrying a statue of Adad God of Weather, Hurricanes, Storms, Thunder and Rain Abode Heaven Symbol Thunderbolt, Bull, Lion Consort Shala Parents Nanna or Sin and Ningal Siblings Utu, Inanna Children Gibil or Gerra

Ishtar was the daughter of Ninurta.[4] She was particularly worshipped in northern Mesopotamia, at the Assyrian cities of Nineveh, Ashur and Arbela (Erbil).[4]

Besides the lions on her gate, her symbol is an eight-pointed star.[5]

wiki

387px-Ishtar_Eshnunna_Louvre_AO12456.jpg Ishtar holding her symbol (?) , Louvre Museum

So far no luck with the maltese/templar " cross/crucifix "

I think I gotta get the Mesopotamia - Babylon - Sumerian - Assyrian - Akkadian influences in a timeline before I can get anywhere regarding the symbols used in the representations of the deities.

I didn't realise the symbolism was so eloborate then and I suspect a lot of the wiki information has not been updated.

Third-eye, here's a link to a site with a lot of info:

Print mode:

http://enenuru.probo...rint&thread=361

The same site, but with it's dark background:

http://enenuru.probo...play&thread=361

Thanks a bundle Abe ... tip top link ... :tu:

I see most of the symbols are there ...

Link master hail ~ :nw:

I have this add on to FF :

Reader is the ultimate Reader tool for your Firefox that brings the Safari 5 Reader features to Firefox and provides you the best reading experience by transforming text on any website using fonts, colors, and layouts of your choosing in a clean and distraction free environment.

http://barisderin.com/?p=372

a great add on to deal with those crazy web pages with crazy fonts and colors .... works beautifully, a recommended tiny add on, current ver 4.3

3.jpg

3. cross,

Kassite - Neo-Assyrian,

probably the sun-god Shamash (sometimes substituting for no. 2) ( ? )

needs more diggin' :lol:

this is harder than I was prepared for

Hi, third_eye

I am not as well versed on the Assyrians as I am on Egypt, but from what I recall the cross in this context is indeed a symbol of Shamash, the Assyrian god of the sun and justice. Assyria demonstrates the typical phenomena of absorbing neighboring deities into their own pantheon, so as with Mesopotamian cultures down through time, many of the same deities make countless appearances on monuments down through time, albeit often under different names (depending on the Semitic dialect being spoken).

That numerous Assyrian kings folded the names of deities into their own names is not unique. These names are called theophoric and tended to be common in the ancient Near East.

I have to wonder about the two images in your OP, however. Not being there to read the label copy in that museum, I question how they're being described. Both images show the typical motifs of kings, meaning such things as the "fez" hat, head sash, and rosettes. However, I'm not seeing anything distinctly identifiable as a deity, such as horns protruding from the headgear or rays of light rising from the shoulders (very common in Assyrian iconography). I could be wrong, of course, but I have to wonder if both are images of Assyrian kings—if not the same king.

I have no idea what monk56 means by "corruption of religious thesis." In any cases both stelae appear very Assyrian to me.

• Like 4

Hi, third_eye

I am not as well versed on the Assyrians as I am on Egypt, but from what I recall the cross in this context is indeed a symbol of Shamash, the Assyrian god of the sun and justice. Assyria demonstrates the typical phenomena of absorbing neighboring deities into their own pantheon, so as with Mesopotamian cultures down through time, many of the same deities make countless appearances on monuments down through time, albeit often under different names (depending on the Semitic dialect being spoken).

That numerous Assyrian kings folded the names of deities into their own names is not unique. These names are called theophoric and tended to be common in the ancient Near East.

I have to wonder about the two images in your OP, however. Not being there to read the label copy in that museum, I question how they're being described. Both images show the typical motifs of kings, meaning such things as the "fez" hat, head sash, and rosettes. However, I'm not seeing anything distinctly identifiable as a deity, such as horns protruding from the headgear or rays of light rising from the shoulders (very common in Assyrian iconography). I could be wrong, of course, but I have to wonder if both are images of Assyrian kings—if not the same king.

I have no idea what monk56 means by "corruption of religious thesis." In any cases both stelae appear very Assyrian to me.

That's what got me thinking too, the common motif I could make out at first was the 'cross' on the chest, the rest of the iconography is similar and seems to be the same now, after further examination ... can't tell for sure currently but as of now I am leaning towards kings and not gods.

Translation of The Standard Inscription of Ashurnasirpal : link

excerpt :

....... The former city of Kalhu [Nimrud], which Shalmaneser king of Assyria, a prince who preceded me, had built, that city had fallen into ruins and lay deserted. That city I built anew, I took the peoples whom my hand had conquered from the lands which I subjugated, from the land of Suhi, from the land of Laqe, from the city of Sirqu on the other side of the Euphrates, from the furthest extent of the land of Zamua, from Bit-Adini and the land of Hatte, and from Lubarna, king of the land of Patina, and made them settle there.

I removed the ancient mound and dug down to the water level. I sank the foundations 120 brick courses deep. A palace with halls of cedar, cypress, juniper, box-wood, meskannu-wood, terebinth and tamarisk, I founded as my royal residence for my lordly pleasure for ever.

Creatures of the mountains and seas I fashioned in white limestone and alabaster, and set them up at its gates. I adorned it, and made it glorious, and set ornamental knobs of bronze all around it. I fixed doors of cedar, cypress, juniper and meskannu-wood in its gates. I took in great quantities, and placed there, silver, gold, tin, bronze and iron, booty taken by my hands from the lands which I had conquered. (Looklex Encyclopedia)

I'm not too fond of the The Standard Inscription of Ashurnasirpal 'translation' above either.

AS long as I can narrow it down to 'Assyrian' it makes things easier so that I can cross match reference the symbols to current research.

I don't think the 'pine cone' that I was searching for and the 'bee hive' that Mr Harte mentions is a representation of the same thing...

eg : top view and side view though I can't say for sure I've isolated it as a definite match to what or which god.

It is somewhat curios to me though, that the 'maltese cross' isn't mentioned much at all ... anywhere, it seems its as natural as a four leaf clover. :lol:

Thanks for the point to boss :tu:

Sadly, I don't know anything more about the cross motif and cannot comment on it authoritatively. I would definitely not see it as "religious corruption," however. It is a known motif from ancient Assyria, and as far as that goes the cross-shape is a common symbol among cultures from all over the world.

I have to ask, third_eye, what Star Gate New Age sites were you visiting and what were they saying there? Come on, we all need a laugh. :w00t:

• Like 1

Kmt, you kind of join what I said earlier in the thread, both stela's depict an Assyrian king, in a rather worshippong position with the symbols of their gods in front of them. In my opinion (and the British Museum's opinion it seems) they are not depicting the same king.

• Like 1

~snipped

I have to ask, third_eye, what Star Gate New Age sites were you visiting and what were they saying there? Come on, we all need a laugh. :w00t:

You try typing 'Babylonian Gods and Kings' in google and see what you get .... :w00t:

Well if you're into that sort of things :lol:

It all started a week or two ago with the third eye thread here which led me to http://www.crystalin...deyepineal.html

which in turn led me to http://www.crystalin...om/babylon.html

say what you will 'bout their beliefs but http://www.crystalin...om/ancient.html is a pretty good page which pretty much covers the gamut of ancient Civs

For someone that likes to write (poetry and shorts) its a helpful resource for fresh ideas .

http://www.crystalin...directory2.html <- why ... its almost an encyclopedia :yes: it is

case in point :

this is the best pic of this sculpture I've ever seen

kwan_yinstatue.jpg

I wonder where they sourced it ....

~edit : GuanYin

Edited by third_eye

Wow ... I didn't have no idea .... :lol:

Simply put, Crystalinks is perhaps the largest, most comprehensive and ambitious metaphysical and science website on the Internet today, a journey taken by millions of visitors each month that is spiritually, mentally and emotionally in tune with its readers' lifestyles, needs, zeitgeist and the transcendental quest of humanity. Ellie's meticulous files, archives and articles cover an abundance of diverse, current and relevant topics. A search engine and directory allows the reader to find answers to their most pressing concerns, such as: "What is my mission? Where are we going as a race? Are we destined for evolutionary change?" People have remarked that no matter what they are searching for, regardless of the topic, all roads ultimately lead to Crystalinks.

In August 2006, Ellie presented her theories of creation at the United Nations - UNSRC.

Ellie was a special guest on the History Channel presentation, "The Lost Book of Nostradamus" which premiered on October 27, 2007. Throughout the years, Ellie has made guest appearances on CBS, Fox, UPN news, as well as endless live radio and Internet talk shows.

Ellie has received honorable mention in the New York Times, along with John Edward, as Psychic Mediums channeling artist Andy Warhol at Serendipity restaurant, in New York City. Ellie was a pioneer in the subject of crop circles. In fact, she brought the topic into the public square by organizing a special event in 1995 at Madison Square Garden that featured world renowned researcher and author, Colin Andrews.

http://www.crystalinks.com/bio.html

well ... this ain't no backyard operation this .... :lol:

~Edit : another surprise ....

baalbek_swastika.jpg

three guesses on where this pic was taken .... link

640px-Baalbek_-_swastika_relief.jpg

wiki

I never knew .... :lol:

you're right boss ........ this IS fun

Edited by third_eye

Kmt, you kind of join what I said earlier in the thread, both stela's depict an Assyrian king, in a rather worshippong position with the symbols of their gods in front of them. In my opinion (and the British Museum's opinion it seems) they are not depicting the same king.

right on the button mate ...... not same king but related ......

• Like 1

Third_eye, I think this is your "Stargate" coonnection:

http://www.theliving...Mount_Meru.html

And scroll down ("What's in a Symbol?")

Or:

http://redicecreatio...cle.php?id=5248

B)

:lol: thanks Abe ...... but you misunderstand me .... stargates is the very thing I'm trying to filter out

But the red ice site does look better these days .... thanks as usual :tu:

the academics do seems to ignore the cross it seems to me ...

are you familiar with this one : The Unknown Life of Jesus Christ The Original Text of Nicolas Notovitch's 1887 Discovery ?

mine is a Project Gutenberg pdf copy

Edited by third_eye

:lol: thanks Abe ...... but you misunderstand me .... stargates is the very thing I'm trying to filter out

But the red ice site does look better these days .... thanks as usual :tu:

the academics do seems to ignore the cross it seems to me ...

are you familiar with this one : The Unknown Life of Jesus Christ The Original Text of Nicolas Notovitch's 1887 Discovery ?

mine is a Project Gutenberg pdf copy

Yes, and if I remember well, it's about a "Saint Issa".

• Like 1

Yes, and if I remember well, it's about a "Saint Issa".

third eyes do brings me places it seems ... eh ?

honestly ... I've never been so psyched up in ages ... ideas ... ideas ... ideas ...

I need a drink .....

My explanation will take some time, but i'm glad to see Third Eye is taking care now of Thesis, my purpose is showing ancient concepts still there in modern politics, i will be slow showing this, with analysis Harte, Kmt sesh and you come to the Pine Cone and Bee Hive.

Point Number one, know the symbolism regarding ancient cults in bringing this forward into modern politics!

In symbolism the Pine Cone is PHI, link below:-

http://www.dyarrow.org/phi/phi5.htm

The Bee Hive in religious cults has rich symbolism, Harte didn't find a link did he? I will, it is below:-

http://www.freemasonry.bcy.ca/aqc/beehive.html

Please understand symbolism!

Ending this first thread section of many Kmt sesh, you have failed to note "Throne Name (praenomen)" with Pharaohs and hieroglyphs, we will get to god star philosophy later! i will explain be of little doubt!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egyptian_royal_titulary

Just throwing something to you, why "The BeeHive" in "New Zealand Politics", i can explain, can you????

http://www.beehive.govt.nz/

Why do you mention Harte and Kmt_sesh in about every post of yours?

:P

• Like 1

Hi Abramerlin,

I mention Harte and Kmt sesh, because they have great knowledge on this forum, but i also have knowledge, we respect but debate, thus reason for this forum!

God Stars are Goats Head Soup, obviously we think of location just outside Baghdad as Cradle of Philosophy, but Persia is a big place with this soup, obviously the Egyptian Philosophy came slightly after, but i have no idea who influenced who in TRADE, when you have trade then religious ideas are exchanged!

First Point Tishtrya, link below:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tishtrya

This shows Flooding, perhaps more in tune with Egyptian Myths and Crops along the Nile, as Sirius was used in ancient Egypt for crops, we all know that, so i say perhaps corruption in location, i have no idea who started myth first, perhaps Egyptians, but might have been Persia...please debate!

Don't listen to Monk, he's insane.

As Abramelin's link clearly shows (the "superlink" or whatever third eye called it,) that's no beehive.

Like I said, I could be way off. And I was.

Guess I was thinking of the Egyptian beehive.

Harte

• Like 1

I'll respect Harte, up to his last comment, i have always done this, in Math or anything else, i still respect him, but i will show why i don't agree, i always do in debate, sorry Harte don't try saying i'm insane, you will lose!!!

Try it !

Yes when my concept becomes clear many will want this to appear insane, but you must get your head around this with religion and symbolism, i take on all, at least love me for that!

Divided opinion perhaps! but don't think any will take me to the cleaners...time will tell!

Now i'm having fun, yes BeeHives and honey bees are shown in ancient Egyptian Philisophy, as you have stated Harte!

Oops state symbol of Utah, philosophy of masons and religious implications of Utah are similiar ha ha!

Cleopatra was a very sexy lady, what do you without batteries?

She followed Egyptian philosophy in principle and beliefs in relief, and no i'm not going to explain!

She filled a seed pod up with honey bees, and gave it a good shake, you make up your own mind what she used it for, BUZZ BUZZ, ha ha!