Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Brad Paisley Get Slammed on "Racist" Song

Kowalski

Paisley, LL Cool J Stand by 'Accidental Racist'

It only took a few hours for a six-minute song about race to spark a backlash after its release Monday.

The song by the unlikely duo of Brad Paisley and LL Cool J, "Accidental Racist," was slammed by music critics and fans alike for its attempt at a dialogue on race between two men from starkly different backgrounds with lyrics like "If you don't judge my do-rag … I won't judge your red flag" and "If you don't judge my gold chains … I'll forget the iron chains."

The country singer, 40, and his rapper counterpart, 45, say the national debate sparked by their song, released on Paisley's new album, "Wheelhouse," is exactly what they wanted to happen.

"I'm not really sure we're going to find any answers but it was the idea that we were asking the question," Paisley said in an exclusive interview with his duet partner that aired today on " Good Morning America."

"Martin Luther King says that darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can," LL Cool J said. "Hate can't drive out hate, only love can. So what we're talking about is compassion."

e Paisley, a native of West Virginia, and vice versa.

Check out: http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/paisley-ll-cool-j-stand-accidental-racist-124126727--abc-news-music.html

• Like 1

I think the song is just saying live and let live, we don't have to agree on everything or even like each other.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think the message behind this song is a good one. Brad is one great guy, and I am a HUGE country music fan. I really can't believe all the backlash he is getting on this song...

"I'm not advising anyone to truly forget slavery, but what I'm saying is forget the slavery mentality," LL Cool J said. "Forget the bitterness. Don't get bitter, get better."

Critics have been especially harsh on specific lines in the song like LL Cool J's singing "let bygones be bygones," and Paisley singing that white Americans are "still paying for mistakes that a bunch of folks made before we came."

"Some people take exception to some of the lyrics [and] I respect that," LL Cool J said. "I'm sensitive to that."

Edited by Kowalski

I hate to be cynical, but I'm thinking the 'controversy' is fake, and the only point of the story is to help record sales.

Where are the critics that have 'slammed it'? They consider a few lines in someones blog a 'slam'?

Much ado about nothing.

• Like 3

I liked it, but there's not one available youtube video of it allowed in my country now =\

Freaking copyright wth.

Just one question. Why is this in the US politics section and not the music section?

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.

Have no fear for atomic energy,

'cause none of them can stop the time.

How long shall they kill our prophets,

While we stand aside and look? ooh!

Some say it's just a part of it:

We've got to fulfill de book.

photo.jpg

Won't you help to sing

Dese songs of freedom? -

'cause all i ever had:

Redemption songs -

All i ever had:

Redemption songs:

These songs of freedom,

Songs of freedom.

Edited by third_eye
  • Like 1

Just one question. Why is this in the US politics section and not the music section?

I hope I posted this in the right section...

Edited by Kowalski

I hate to be cynical, but I'm thinking the 'controversy' is fake, and the only point of the story is to help record sales.

Where are the critics that have 'slammed it'? They consider a few lines in someones blog a 'slam'?

Much ado about nothing.

Well, a few people have gotten their underwear in a bunch over this...:rolls eyes:

• Like 1

That's the thing, it's just a few people, yet it makes headlines?

This story is exactly the same, IMHO:

http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/04/11/New-Mexican-Barbies-chihuahua-and-passport-stir-up-controversy/4061365680379/

Mexican Barbie is somehow 'racist'. Because one person thought so on Twitter, I guess. That makes it newsworthy nowadays.

We will never ever have a true dialog in this world about race relations, because the overwhelming bulk of complaints are so petty.

• Like 3

You can listen to it here.

https://soundcloud.c...aturing-ll-cool

I like the idea, its got people thinking and talking about the issue, which can only be a good thing right ?

I'm not sure about that. Sometimes I think that race relations in America would be a lot better if people would just shut-up about it and leave the subject alone for awhile.

• Like 3

Much ado about nothing.

Yep, it a stunt for sales. $$$$

Yep, it a stunt for sales. $$$$

I don't think so. There are A LOT of black people that still have this, "My ancestors were slaves, and I hate the white man for oppressing us...." :rolleyes:

Another thing I hear a lot on the web is: "It's the white mans turn to be on the bottom...." :no:

Yeah, I know, but their are those types of idiots out there, and they blog and Twitter and use Facebook and Youtube to get their opinions out there.

I don't think so. There are A LOT of black people that still have this, "My ancestors were slaves, and I hate the white man for oppressing us...." :rolleyes:

Another thing I hear a lot on the web is: "It's the white mans turn to be on the bottom...." :no:

Yeah, I know, but their are those types of idiots out there, and they blog and Twitter and use Facebook and Youtube to get their opinions out there.

I don't doubt that at all. But the fact that this is in the news is a stunt for publicicty. There are very few people who really have a problem with the lyrics to this song. It's fabricated press.