Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Mantis Shrimp

Insanity

Colorful little thing, too bad we can't see all his colors.

• Like 1

Not just colors, but polarized light, multispectral, ultraviolet, maybe even circular polarized light.

Wiki had this, The species Gonodactylus smithii is the only organism known to simultaneously detect the four linear and two circular polarization components required for Stokes parameters, which yield a full description of polarization. It is thus believed to have optimal polarization vision.

• Like 1

We can see all the colors. Don't worry. However, our perception of them is the difference.

Oh yeah, crazy bad to watch these guys in action.

Never knew about their vision, just their power, very interesting!

Wonder why they have such amazing color vision and if any other animals compare?

• Like 1

I wanted a couple of these for my fish tank actually ,but they are not good for certain habitats . They eat some of the stuff I kept as a pet .

• Like 1

Amazing little creature. Nice post. :tu:

Oh yeah, crazy bad to watch these guys in action.

Never knew about their vision, just their power, very interesting!

Wonder why they have such amazing color vision and if any other animals compare?

Seeing polarized light is useful in an aquatic environment. There are a fair number of sea creatures whose bodies are transparent, and are quite difficult to see in the water using our eyes, but they cannot avoid having the light that passes through get polarized by sugar molecules or other compounds that are there. Having the ability to see polarized light then lets them see these creatures fairly well. I think such visual ability is common among arthropods and insects.

Probably the 16 receptors are not for other colors in a sense, but receptors for polarized light, which we could consider a color I guess. So if there is 4 linear and 2 circular polarized light, 6 of their receptors might be just for that. Then three for the usual colors we can see, leaving 7 which could be for ultraviolet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantis_shrimp#Eyes

• Like 1

Seeing polarized light is useful in an aquatic environment. There are a fair number of sea creatures whose bodies are transparent, and are quite difficult to see in the water using our eyes, but they cannot avoid having the light that passes through get polarized by sugar molecules or other compounds that are there. Having the ability to see polarized light then lets them see these creatures fairly well. I think such visual ability is common among arthropods and insects.

Probably the 16 receptors are not for other colors in a sense, but receptors for polarized light, which we could consider a color I guess. So if there is 4 linear and 2 circular polarized light, 6 of their receptors might be just for that. Then three for the usual colors we can see, leaving 7 which could be for ultraviolet.

http://en.wikipedia....tis_shrimp#Eyes

Like liking to fish with polarized sunglasses.

I wanted a couple of these for my fish tank actually ,but they are not good for certain habitats . They eat some of the stuff I kept as a pet .

I think some acrylic tanks can manage them, but that won't stop them from eating everything else in the tank.