Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gay man arrested at hospital

Ashotep

A gay man was arrested at a hospital in Missouri this week when he refused to leave the bedside of his partner, and now a restraining order is preventing him from any type of visitation.

Missouri man arrested at hospital for refusing to leave gay partner

One of the reasons gay people should be allowed to marry or given some sort of legal rights so this doesn't happen. They had each others power of attorney but a family member didn't like him being there.

Edited by Hilander
  • Like 5

Wow. That's really not right....

• Like 2

It wasn't the mans partner that had a problem with it. It was a family member.

• Like 1

"disruptive to providing the necessary patient care".

If that's the case, then fine, get him out.

That was one of the main considerations I had when I voted to legalize gay marriage in my state this year.

• Like 4

The only thing disruptive he did was refuse to leave when a family member tried to run him off. The family member should of been the one that left and came back later if they couldn't stand seeing the patients partner there.

• Like 6

I think the hospital was just put in an awkward situation.

Yeah, but:

"He said the nurse refused to confirm that the couple shared power of attorney and made medical decision for each other.

“She didn’t even bother to look it up, to check in to it,” the Lee’s Summit resident recalled."

Family member should have left, imo. Especially if the partner is the one who's able to make medical decisions.

• Like 5

That was one of the main considerations I had when I voted to legalize gay marriage in my state this year.

Its why I will vote for it too.
  • Like 1

Yeah, but:

"He said the nurse refused to confirm that the couple shared power of attorney and made medical decision for each other.

“She didn’t even bother to look it up, to check in to it,” the Lee’s Summit resident recalled."

Family member should have left, imo. Especially if the partner is the one who's able to make medical decisions.

True. It sounds like the family member may be intolerant.

• Like 2

Disgusting... Absolutely shocking.

If the guy in hospital signed power of attorney to his partner then it's his choice who visits him not his families. This is BS.

I also never understood how a family can be like that. Even if you are against homosexuality, you still love that person if they are family and should just accept their choice of partner and welcome them to the fmaily. What the hell do they expect to happen from this?!

Damn if I was in this situation and recovered fully my family would know damn fine how angry I was about it. All they are going to do is hurt everyone and it will come back on them. Stupid.

I don't care if people don't want to accept homosexuality, it's their choice and they are free to do so, but not allowing Gay people to have the same rights is wrong. That's taking their freedom of choice.

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 6

Thank goodness same-sex marriage is legal in Maine. That attitude is not only foolish, but harmful to the health of the partner who is ill. Even if he is in a coma, he knows on some level what is going on in the room.

• Like 4

lol, no he doesn't, have you ever been in coma?

Then why do doctors encourage people to talk to coma patients? Why do they leave the TV on in coma wards?
  • Like 3

Even in an operating theater medical personnel are told to speak repectfully around sedated patients as though they are awake, alert, and aware of what is going on. There are different levels of unconsciousness.

• Like 3

There are different levels of unconsciousness.

As the politics forum shows.

• Like 6

They had each others power of attorney but a family member didn't like him being there.

Sounds like a lawsuit to me against the hospital if the Power of Attorney is properly set up.
  • Like 1

Then why do doctors encourage people to talk to coma patients? Why do they leave the TV on in coma wards?

I think it's a random chance type thing. Rarely when I dream I overhear voices if they're talking in the same room inside of my dream. It's kind of strange but it does happen. Never been in a coma so I can't say for sure if the same applies to that.

That's really cruel of the ill persons family. The last thing you want to do to some one in a hospital is take away their support and loved ones. It's sickening that the family is only thinking of themselves and not the patient.

• Like 7

I'm a supporter on gay marriage, but just for the sake of argument, had this couple been legally married, would the outcome had been any different?

It didn't seem like the hospital was listening to the man, regardless of his legal status.

• Like 1

I hope the partner sues.

It's one step forward for equality.

You can bet your ass that once a lawsuit is slapped down, hospitals and businesses alike, will be listening a little better.

Ignorance.

• Like 1

I'm a supporter on gay marriage, but just for the sake of argument, had this couple been legally married, would the outcome had been any different?

It didn't seem like the hospital was listening to the man, regardless of his legal status.

I doubt they'd have sided with the family over the spouse if the spouse was a woman.

• Like 2

i am not a supporter of changing the definition of marriage, but that was only because i thought we, as the human race, have gotten over biggotry. This article proves otherwise.