Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Johnny Rotten scolds haters

OverSword

Good for Johnny!

From the article:

Former Sex Pistol John Lydon says those now celebrating Margaret Thatcher's death are 'loathsome'.

Lydon, famously known as Johnny Rotten when he was the singer in Punk icons The Sex Pistols back in the 1970s as Maggie was rising to power, added: 'I'm not going to dance on her grave.'

He said: 'I was her enemy in her life but I will not be her enemy in her death.'

http://www.dailymail...ost_read_module

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 8

Well perhaps Johnny Rotten should perhaps allow her detractors to honor or dishonor Thatcher the way they see fit without limiting them to his own personal sense of morals.

I understand he is the perfect spokesperson to calm everyone down but I have yet to see proof that any calming down needs to happen to begin with.

After all the detractors are offering a counterpoint to the celebratory tone some are offering Thatcher's legacy, it is not her death that her detractors are celebrating per se but using it as a symbol to decry her legacy as well.

In more important news, last years PiL album sounds pretty good to me. Good work Johnny and wishing you a fab comeback! You Sir, will not be forgotten.

Completely agree with him.

I even thought people celebrating Bin Laden's death was pathetic. There is something very barbaric about celebrating the death of a person in that way.

Funny you mention that. A co-worker and I were discussing that very thing yesterday. People dancing in the streets, waving flags, partying.
  • Like 1

If for no other reason than to show respect to the family, it's no time to be throwing a celebration.

• Like 3

Well perhaps Johnny Rotten should perhaps allow her detractors to honor or dishonor Thatcher the way they see fit without limiting them to his own personal sense of morals.

I understand he is the perfect spokesperson to calm everyone down but I have yet to see proof that any calming down needs to happen to begin with.

After all the detractors are offering a counterpoint to the celebratory tone some are offering Thatcher's legacy, it is not her death that her detractors are celebrating per se but using it as a symbol to decry her legacy as well.

In more important news, last years PiL album sounds pretty good to me. Good work Johnny and wishing you a fab comeback! You Sir, will not be forgotten.

I've always agreed with a majority of Johnny's opinion about social issues.

Funny you mention that. A co-worker and I were discussing that very thing yesterday. People dancing in the streets, waving flags, partying.

There are no coincidences.... lol

I've always agreed with a majority of Johnny's opinion about social issues.

I'm guessing you didn't get the Country life butter ad in the US?

[media=]

[/media]

Lost a little bit of respect for him doing an advert. Still like him, just think he shouldn't have done it, unless he actually likes the butter. lol

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 1

I wasn't affected by the woman, I wasn't alive. But I don't begrudge the people that were, and a lot of people were, their chance to be happy that the person who ruined their lives has gone. I read in the Northern Echo about a woman who helped run soup kitchens in the Coalfields during the strike who's had a bottle of champagne waiting to be drunk on Thatcher's death since the day the strike ended. I bet that tasted sweet.

I can't help but feel that a lot of the people saying it's disgusting weren't affected by her policies in nearly the same way.

• Like 2

Maybe it is because I am older, but in my generation we know how it feels to lose a family member. Death is a time to show respect to those left behind.

• Like 6

I have to admit I don't know much about Thatcher but dancing in the streets in a little much.

However if someone like Hitler died I could understand celebrating it.

• Like 2

I wasn't affected by the woman, I wasn't alive. But I don't begrudge the people that were, and a lot of people were, their chance to be happy that the person who ruined their lives has gone. I read in the Northern Echo about a woman who helped run soup kitchens in the Coalfields during the strike who's had a bottle of champagne waiting to be drunk on Thatcher's death since the day the strike ended. I bet that tasted sweet.

I can't help but feel that a lot of the people saying it's disgusting weren't affected by her policies in nearly the same way.

The fact is why didn't the people do something about it? There is a lack of jobs now and our economy is broken because of the government and the banking system. Yet we all sit here and accept it. Nobody realises we don't have to. We own the government. (well we're supposed to, the bank does really) We are all taught and told to respect authority, fact is a government is supposed to be there for the people not the other way around. I blame society for not rising against her, not her. She just did what all these greedy politicians do, make themselves and their own richer while making everyone else suffer.

I have to admit I don't know much about Thatcher but dancing in the streets in a little much.

However if someone like Hitler died I could understand celebrating it.

Well there's a huge difference there. lol

I'm with Queen in the North; Thatcher was an absolute blight on the country. And Coffey: we stood up to her re. the Poll Tax and that was scrapped(eventually). It really isn't that easy to make a government do what you want it to do .......... especially if you're already ground down by life and barely able to keep your own situation going from day to day.

• Like 1

I'm with Queen in the North; Thatcher was an absolute blight on the country. And Coffey: we stood up to her re. the Poll Tax and that was scrapped(eventually). It really isn't that easy to make a government do what you want it to do .......... especially if you're already ground down by life and barely able to keep your own situation going from day to day.

It's still a small government compared to the people. We've never stood up to the government properly that's why we are stuck ina slave system rules by rich people where the working class blames the unemployed. Perfect system for these jackasses.

Still she was human and made mistakes. Forgiveness is better than hatred.

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 1

Good for Johnny!

From the article:

Former Sex Pistol John Lydon says those now celebrating Margaret Thatcher's death are 'loathsome'.

Lydon, famously known as Johnny Rotten when he was the singer in Punk icons The Sex Pistols back in the 1970s as Maggie was rising to power, added: 'I'm not going to dance on her grave.'

He said: 'I was her enemy in her life but I will not be her enemy in her death.'

http://www.dailymail...ost_read_module

Quite right too! Now, this is a funny coincidence (for me at least) I was a Hotel Receptionist (back in the day) and I checked in both Johnny Rotten and Maggie Thatcher into the hotel within days of each other. Both nearly caused a riot with Protesters :w00t:

• Like 2

It's still a small government compared to the people. We've never stood up to the government properly that's why we are stuck ina slave system rules by rich people where the working class blames the unemployed. Perfect system for these jackasses.

Still she was human and made mistakes. Forgiveness is better than hatred.

In this instance I disagree.

• Like 1

In this instance I disagree.

Fair enough, it's your choice. :) (EDIT: I don't mean anything nasty by this, it sounded kinda sarcastic or something, I normally agree with you most things and just wanted to make it clear I have nothing against your opinion)

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 1

There are no coincidences.... lol

[media=]

[/media]

Lost a little bit of respect for him doing an advert. Still like him, just think he shouldn't have done it, unless he actually likes the butter. lol

Another counter culture icon bites the dust! No we did not get that commercial in the USA. Oh Johnny.
  • Like 2

If I wish to dance on Maggies grave then I will.

• Like 1

If I wish to dance on Maggies grave then I will.

You're from Canada? Did you move there from Thatchers England?

You're from Canada? Did you move there from Thatchers England?

I am English and I lived in Thatchers Britain and I loathe her even in Death.

Edited by shaddow134
  • Like 1

You know, Bill Clinton signed NAFTA and my career of 15 years dried up and blew away up to Canada and down to Mexico. I lost that job in 1999 and just in the last couple of years started to make as much money as I did then, which when adjusted for inflation still means I made more then. Bill Clinton also destroyed the worlds economy when he repealed the Glass steagal act removing many regulatory mechanisms from the banking industry. But I will not be dancing on his grave. The world is what it is.
  • Like 2

iiiiiii am an anttichristahh, and iiiii am an anarchist, dunno what i wannnt but i know how to git it, i wanna destroy the passer by cos iiiiiiii wannnaaaa bee anarchyyyy!

• Like 1

After Thatcher took office, a year later suicides among miners increased, and can we guess who all was toasting her new policies?

If she celebrated their deaths, directly or indirectly, it is no surprise others will do the same at her demise.

• Like 1

After Thatcher took office, a year later suicides among miners increased, and can we guess who all was toasting her new policies?

If she celebrated their deaths, directly or indirectly, it is no surprise others will do the same at her demise.

And presumably you have some evidence she celebrated miners' deaths? Or was even responsible for them? Didn't think so.

I've said it before and will again: If you were against Thatcher's policies, the time to celebrate was when she left government, not her death. Show some respect to her family at least.

• Like 1

I really hate 99.99% of commercials and not happy about celebrities who sell out to corporations.

But I liked Johnny's commercial though. I thought it was entertaining. :blush:

John Cleese did an amusing TV commercial in the US, though I can't even remember the product he was selling.

• Like 2