Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The History of Schizophrenia

notforgotten

Each case is different and the spiritual aspect should not be ignored, this is a very key factor imo for most if not all.. also patients do need more respect, to be listened to and have decision making capabilities in thier treatment. Many psychotherapists really do treat patients like guinea pigs because they dont know what thier doing, they are trying to get famous by using a certain standard but there is no standard and they are ruining so many lives permenantly. They are trying to control the mind with chemicals instead of addressing the mind in its natural state. Sometimes a human goes through an evolution, this is a natural process that should be embraced and not shunned, after the process there is a healthy or even an advanced mind.. im not saying this is true in all cases, perhaps some get stuck at a negative stage inevitably, and sometimes medicine is a great option, but its true they have a long way to go in discovering how to deal with this. Rejection of the spiritual makes a person more crazy in some cases.... we are spirit... and connected to the spirit, we're not going to be able to deny that forever.

We live in an insane world.... lets not forget that part...

Edited by SpiritWriter
  • Like 5

Yet there is still the issue of millions of witnesses to God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, angels, saints, as well as demons and evil spirits. Their testimonies are true and for thousands of years people knew this. Over the last 100 years the modern day psychiatrist has squashed the testimonies of these lowly witnesses with their pompous lie that it is only a chemical imbalance and is all in their minds.

• Like 1

Yet there is still the issue of millions of witnesses to God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, angels, saints, as well as demons and evil spirits. Their testimonies are true and for thousands of years people knew this. Over the last 100 years the modern day psychiatrist has squashed the testimonies of these lowly witnesses with their pompous lie that it is only a chemical imbalance and is all in their minds.

And convinced the world of this! Its truly terrible.

• Like 1

My mother was a paranoic schizophrenic pretty much all of her adult life. She was very spiritual, Christianity being her thing, but she was also bat nut crazy, as well. I understand religious obsession is pretty common with schizophrenics; my mom talked with Jesus quite often, and also spent a lot of time trying to elude the communists who she believed were trying to assassinate her. It was all real to her. I'm happy to share my personal experiences & outlook if anyone is interested in first-hand, long term, intimate knowledge of the disease. To make a blanket statement that the visual & aural phenomena are "real" is to misunderstand a very complicated medical condition and serves no one, least of all those afflicted with the disease.

• Like 6

I want to agree on a few things here .... "Doctor's" would rather give drugs to a person with Schizo or any mental illness, for endangerment of themself or others. I know that's not the answer for any illness! But speaking from first hand experience with my mom.... I'm glad the drugs at least helped her NOT hurt herself or anyone... anymore. As for the electric shock treatments they did on my mom..... I wouldn't wish that on anyone. She was never the same when they did that!

And NO my mom didn't have rights.......she couldn't tell them no... a doctor had made it that she was not capable of her own decisions. So that being said....

Untill a "Doctor" can walk in a mental patients mind and experience it themselfs? They shouldn't just give it a name! Or say their "crazy" I hate that word!!

I sometimes wonder why my mom is the way she is...what made her that way .. did she just shut off in her mind because what ever was hurting her ..she couldn't handle it? Or is it her way of dealing with it?

I have journals of stories my mom would tell me...about god, angels, spirits, bad people, lost souls...she would even meet famous people... places she had visited..etc. She believes what she see and tells.

She's had mental illness even before I was born...I'm child number 6

• Like 3

My mother was a paranoic schizophrenic pretty much all of her adult life. She was very spiritual, Christianity being her thing, but she was also bat nut crazy, as well. I understand religious obsession is pretty common with schizophrenics; my mom talked with Jesus quite often, and also spent a lot of time trying to elude the communists who she believed were trying to assassinate her. It was all real to her. I'm happy to share my personal experiences & outlook if anyone is interested in first-hand, long term, intimate knowledge of the disease. To make a blanket statement that the visual & aural phenomena are "real" is to misunderstand a very complicated medical condition and serves no one, least of all those afflicted with the disease. It serves the devil to lie about God's true witnesses.

Religious obsession is very common amongst schizophrenics because they see and here the invisible spirit world in which God, Jesus, the angels, saints, as well as demons and evil spirits reside. One must understand that the devils are masters at the art of deception and can make a person lose touch with reality, which was obviously the case with your mother believing that the communists were out to assassinate her. It sounds like the devils were masquerading as communists and terrorizing her. She may very well have spoken to Jesus. God does reach out to the broken.

Edited by notforgotten

I want to agree on a few things here .... "Doctor's" would rather give drugs to a person with Schizo or any mental illness, for endangerment of themself or others. I know that's not the answer for any illness! But speaking from first hand experience with my mom.... I'm glad the drugs at least helped her NOT hurt herself or anyone... anymore. As for the electric shock treatments they did on my mom..... I wouldn't wish that on anyone. She was never the same when they did that!

And NO my mom didn't have rights.......she couldn't tell them no... a doctor had made it that she was not capable of her own decisions. So that being said....

Untill a "Doctor" can walk in a mental patients mind and experience it themselfs? They shouldn't just give it a name! Or say their "crazy" I hate that word!!

I sometimes wonder why my mom is the way she is...what made her that way .. did she just shut off in her mind because what ever was hurting her ..she couldn't handle it? Or is it her way of dealing with it?

I have journals of stories my mom would tell me...about god, angels, spirits, bad people, lost souls...she would even meet famous people... places she had visited..etc. She believes what she see and tells.

She's had mental illness even before I was born...I'm child number 6

Thank you for sharing.

Religious obsession is very common amongst schizophrenics because they see and here the invisible spirit world in which God, Jesus, the angels, saints, as well as demons and evil spirits reside. One must understand that the devils are masters at the art of deception and can make a person lose touch with reality, which was obviously the case with your mother believing that the communists were out to assassinate her. It sounds like the devils were masquerading as communists and terrorizing her. She may very well have spoken to Jesus. God does reach out to the broken.

What can I say? If you insist on being right, nothing.

• Like 2

Here is some wise advice from the Holy Bible for the Christian schizophrenic:

1 Peter 5:8-11 Be sober and vigilant, your opponent the devil is prowling around like a roaring lion looking for [someone] to devour. Resist him, steadfast in faith, knowing that your fellow believers throughout the world undergo the same sufferings. The God of all grace who called you to his eternal glory through Christ [Jesus] will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you after you have suffered a little. To him be dominion forever. Amen.

• Like 1

Here is some wise advice from the Holy Bible for the Christian schizophrenic:

1 Peter 5:8-11 Be sober and vigilant, your opponent the devil is prowling around like a roaring lion looking for [someone] to devour. Resist him, steadfast in faith, knowing that your fellow believers throughout the world undergo the same sufferings. The God of all grace who called you to his eternal glory through Christ [Jesus] will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you after you have suffered a little. To him be dominion forever. Amen.

Great advice considering it has nothing to do with schizophrenia.
  • Like 4

The history of schizophrenia goes back thousands of years. Over the centuries, schizophrenics have been considered mystics, saints, possessed by evil spirits or servants of the Devil. Schizophrenia treatment in history has been as gentle as using music and as violent as resorting to ice pick surgery.

Schizophrenia Treatment: History And Evolution? http://www.tree.com/...ia-history.aspx

I believe that the American Psychiatric Association has squashed the true testimonies of millions of witnesses to God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, angels, saints in heaven as well as demons and evil spirits by their over one hundred year old lie that it's all in these peoples' heads. These are the same people that would kill people by drilling holes in their heads trying to release evil spirits. The same people that would also kill people by cutting the frontal lobe of the brain out of them. One scientist got a Nobel Peace prize for doing this. They tried insulin injections which often left people in a coma. And they would give them enough electric shock treatments at such a high voltage as to make their brains mush. Are these the people that you want to trust and believe? I believe that those poor lowly "crazy" people that have said that they've talked to God, seen angels and the devil have been telling the truth all along and it's the modern day psychiatrist that has been lying. I believe that a grave injustice have been done against these people and it's high time people knew the truth.

So what would you want to do with these people that have this illness?

What are your thoughts on Mulitple Personality Disorder?

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x

Not when the wolves are real, wear a suit and tie, have a college degree and claim to be "authorities" on something they truly know very little about. The term "quack" comes from doctors like these.

There's more than an element of truth in this. Psychiatry is still in the dark ages relative to other branches of medicine. We can look back on the treatments of the 20th century (ECT, insulin shock, and medications with hideous side effects) and consider them pretty barbaric. In years to come, people will look back on how we treat mental illness now with the same opinion. It can't be cured and chemical control of symptoms involves the use of medication with potentially lethal side effects.

The problem here is your cynical attitude towards psychiatrists. Every one I've ever worked with does not fit your description of a wolf in a shirt and tie. They enter the profession for the same reasons any doctor enters the medical profession. To make a difference - and the vanity that comes with being able to use "Dr" in your name. And yes, they're the "authority" on something they know less about than they would care to admit. But judging from your posts, they know a sight more about it than you do.

I believe that the American Psychiatric Association has squashed the true testimonies of millions of witnesses to God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, angels, saints in heaven as well as demons and evil spirits by their over one hundred year old lie that it's all in these peoples' heads. These are the same people that would kill people by drilling holes in their heads trying to release evil spirits. The same people that would also kill people by cutting the frontal lobe of the brain out of them. One scientist got a Nobel Peace prize for doing this. They tried insulin injections which often left people in a coma. And they would give them enough electric shock treatments at such a high voltage as to make their brains mush. Are these the people that you want to trust and believe? I believe that those poor lowly "crazy" people that have said that they've talked to God, seen angels and the devil have been telling the truth all along and it's the modern day psychiatrist that has been lying. I believe that a grave injustice have been done against these people and it's high time people knew the truth.

Mental illness is a very real phenomenon and people who suffer from psychosis can experience profound distress and desperation as a result of their symptoms. I can only conclude you've never met anyone in an acute phase of their illness, as you would surely realise that these are not "spiritual" experiences. Hallucinations, delusions, thought disorder as well as negative symptoms are not brought on by God or demons communicating with people. For a start, you'd have to show that these things existed in the first place.

I also believe that grave injustices have been done to the mentally ill, and still are. But not for the reasons you think.

Edited by Arbenol68
  • Like 3

Not to mention, why would god need to talk to anyone in that way

Not to mention, why would god need to talk to anyone in that way

Ah! But he moves in mysterious ways...............apparently.

So what would you want to do with these people that have this illness?

First of all, I would tell them the truth, that schizophrenia is temporal punishment by the Holy Spirit due to sin.

From the book of "Catechism of the Catholic Church": Temporal Punishment is the unhealthy attachment to creatures, which is a consequence of sin. We must be purified through conversion.

I would get them to stop doing what they are doing that is bringing the evil spirits into their lives which is often times drugs and prescribe a moderate amount of medication if it helps.

Edited by notforgotten

Evil spirits are nothing compared to the lack of critical thinking, compassion, or judgments or ignorance we as human beings visit upon one another. Or is it evil spirits that cause us to do that to one another? Mental illness is simply a disease, something gone awry in the human body, sometimes possibly biochemical in nature. Would you say that diabetes is caused by evil spirits, or cancer, or any other of the thousands of diseases that people get? I knew of a small child who had some fingertips cut off and scars from cigarette burns, because the parents were attempting to rid the child of evil spirits. You, you would simply deprive people of their medication and blame and castigate them. The treatment may be different, but the intention, purification, is the same. Move out of the dark ages and into the age of enlightenment, if not for your sake, then for the sake of members of your community.

• Like 3

Maybe there is a happy medium to this topic...

In the past, some people that claimed to see said entities were pronounced mystics or touched by God. Maybe they were, we don't know. What we know currently is that a lot of these people that see God, angels, demons, cannot function in a way that they can be considered safe to themselves.

Some of these people will neglect to eat, bathe, use the toilet and can't take care of themselves. If this is the case then they are mentally ill and need some treatment to get them functional.

If they see said entities and are able to function, then fine, as long as they will not harm others or themselves. We often call this group evangelists or the religious and they are accepted as party of the community.

Each case of "hallucination" should be considered individually. Doesn't matter what we believe our don't believe in.

Just consider the individual, is the person a danger to others or him/her self? Is the individual able to take

Care of him/get self?

That's all there it's to it.

Edited by Lava_Lady
  • Like 3

Maybe there is a happy medium to this topic...

In the past, some people that claimed to see said entities were pronounced mystics or touched by God. Maybe they were, we don't know. What we know currently is that a lot of these people that see God, angels, demons, cannot function in a way that they can be considered safe to themselves.

Some of these people will neglect to eat, bathe, use the toilet and can't take care of themselves. If this is the case then they are mentally ill and need some treatment to get them functional.

If they see said entities and are able to function, then fine, as long as they will not harm others or themselves. We often call this group evangelists or the religious and they are accepted as party of the community.

Each case of "hallucination" should be considered individually. Doesn't matter what we believe our don't believe in.

Just consider the individual, is the person a danger to others or him/her self? Is the individual able to take

Care of him/get self?

That's all there it's to it.

That might not be all there us to it, but this is about as best as we can do about it now... not forgetting to show as much love and compasdion to the ill as possible and give them some respect in the choices of thier treatment as well as being viligant about seeking outththe best treatment for that particulous case. Even in the cases you describe, not taking care of themselves, potential harm to others eyc... slapping a name and sedating the patient on a permenant basis is a lazy way to seek the best treatment. Of course I dont agree with dangerous people running the streets either. I have a close friend who was stabbed over 20 times by a woman who was delusional and haf been released from a facility even after she had commited a previous attack of a similar grusome nature. My friend is LUCKYYY to be alive but is now permenantly blind. I totally agree with the happy medium or as close as we can get. One thing I think that is missing from society as a whole is the type of love and dedication that is required to really make a difference over the long haul in peoples lives. This goes for dealing with mental patients and many many other groups.

Edited by SpiritWriter

My friend, that I've mentioned before, is schizophrenic and bi-polar. Her severe alcohol addiction and past drug addictions, have only added negativity to her life. She has gotten accustomed to "being cared for", by her boyfriend. He does whatever she tells him to do!!! They both have the same mental health problems, both take serquole, except his

is a stronger dosage. She takes his meds and he takes hers. But, their meds are doing them any good anyways, because they emerse themselves in vodka, from the minute they wake up (3 or 4am), till they pass out, just to wake and do it again. Neither of their mental health counselors, have a clue, about their alcoholism and they believe

them, when they say that they had stopped drinking a long time ago. They both know, that if they told the truth about their drinking problem, that they would be cut off from their meds.

Their lives revolve around vodka. I've read that the majority of those affected with schizophrenia and or bi-polar, are alcoholics and or drug addicts. Also, alcohol renders psych meds, ineffective. Yet, it increases the bad side-effects, of those meds. I've recently learned from her daughter (whose 26 yrs. old, married and has 3 kids), that, while her mother was still living in California, that she "got away" with attacking (physically), people (cops, too), just because she didn't like what they said. She still does this, where she lives now.

She has been arrested so many times, for this behavior, just to be let go and all charges dropped. She even pulled a gun on several people and got away with it. I've also learned, she was very abusive to her 2 kids, when they were very little. Burned them with cigarettes, drop-kicked them into walls, held their heads under scalding hot water, in the tub.

The state took her son and her mother got custody her daughter, she would've ended up killing them, otherwise!! She lived on the same property, as her parents, in a trailer, so she still was able to physcially and emotionally abuse her daughter, but not as much as before. She has never learned the consequences for her bad behavior, because law enforcement and the courts don't want to "deal' with her, besides, not having the time and resources, to handle the mentally ill. That's the excuse, her mother, then her daughter was told repeatedly over the years. She was arrested so many times for being drunk in public and possession and under the influence of meth and other people's perscription sleeping pills, that the cops started to just confiscate the drugs and drive her home, without any other reprecussions for her behavior. The mental hospital, told her daughter that they refuse to admit her, not even for a 72 hour hold, because she is able to feed and dress herself. Even though,she's been living in another state for a few years, law enforcement still turns a blind eye on her antics, her and her boyfriend even get away with drunk driving and stealing. The mental hospital also had told her daughter, that the mental health system was de-regulated by Regan, when he was president. Until the system can be over-hauled and re-regulated, nothing can be done to help her mother, unless she kills someone, but, even then, they felt she would only "get a slap on the wrist"!!! The system has failed for the mentally ill and will continue to do so, until it's regulated again!!!

• Like 1

My sibling was diagnosed with disorganized schizophrenia at the age of 16. She had no religious obsessions and her hallucinations/delusions did not involve god, demons or angels. This isn't surprising given the fact that we weren't raised by christians. We really had no exposure to religion (apart from friends/classmates talking about it)

When she developed the illness, her actions and behavior were very bizarre and completely nonsensical.

Medication is not a cure and her illness is resistant to most medications. She still cannot function like a normal adult. She still has a disorganized thinking process and hallucinations, but they are clearly not as frequent or frightening when she is medicated. When she's in a psychotic state, she believes inaminate objects and our pet dogs are talking to her. She thinks people are living in the walls and she puts all the house rugs away because she thinks there are creatures hiding under them. She has these journals that are filled with pages of just random words thrown together.

Any organ in the human body can seriously malfunction in a number of ways. It should not be unbelievable that the brain (the most complex organ of all) malfunctions also.

• Like 6

First of all, I would tell them the truth, that schizophrenia is temporal punishment by the Holy Spirit due to sin.

From the book of "Catechism of the Catholic Church": Temporal Punishment is the unhealthy attachment to creatures, which is a consequence of sin. We must be purified through conversion.

I would get them to stop doing what they are doing that is bringing the evil spirits into their lives which is often times drugs and prescribe a moderate amount of medication if it helps.

Have you even thought this through? If schizophrenia is a punishment for sin, don't you think it would afflict more than 1% of the population? Or is it just the punishment for using drugs?

What's the punishment for theft? Herpes?

• Like 3

Well demons like drugs, they take you to a place where you can become their prisoner, not only do they want you hooked but i believe they drive you to take the first dose, you dont have to be schitzo for this. Sin effects you regardless of the outcome. Many seemingly sane people are commiting atrocities, in my eyes these people are just as insane if not more so, but is there a medication for that?

• Like 1

This is absolute nonsense.

For this to have any truth at all, you would have to prove catholicism is the one true religion and that will be impossible. Especially considering the Catholic church's history of merging Pagan beliefs into Christian belief to trick people into catholicism.

But I digress, the issue is not the church, it's the issue of mental illness and I don't think you have enough understanding of the biology of mental illness to make any declarations of cures. Mental illness is what it is, an illness. It is not a punishment.

• Like 5

Have you even thought this through? If schizophrenia is a punishment for sin, don't you think it would afflict more than 1% of the population? Or is it just the punishment for using drugs?

What's the punishment for theft? Herpes?

Oh dear I'm laughing now. Seriously a large belly laugh. I needed that. It appears that one does not have to be mentally I'll to suffer from dellusions.

Charlie was a good friend of my mothers but several times in the railroad underpass he chased me screaming " you little ****". Used to scare the hell out of me. I told him about it when I was about 14. He apologized profusely.

With all that said there are certain kinds of mental reorganizations that are related to spiritual development that resemble certain mental illnesses, but are actually just a transition into a higher function and capacity. Sort of like chaos during a metamorphosis. With the right support the person emerges much healthier and capable. It's called a transpersonal emergence. Of course our non spiritual members will have a hard time accepting this, but in fact it's accepted by many talented psychologists. One can even obtain a degree in transpersonal psychology which integrates more spiritual concepts and is better apt at identifying an emergence as opposed to an illness and can take the apropriate steps to support the patient.

This is the opposite of the ops fire and brimstone rant. One of the things I live about psychology is that many phsycologists are patient driven and know that classification and categorization are only tools and they work for what will heal the patient and healing an individual will require an individual approach. Many many more psychologists are starting to understand more the spiritual components to certain kinds of issues. Indeed spiritual by materialistic evolutionary psychology or spiritual by the existence of spirit, human beings are spiritual animals and it's the psychologists job to get those with problems on their feet reguardless of their personal beliefs. I would never trust a psychologists that treated a spiritual person in adamit materialistic fashion nor would I trust a spiritual psychologist that treats another in accordance with their beliefs.

a little about transpersonal psychology

http://www.collegecrunch.org/school-profiles/california/institute-of-transpersonal-psychology/

http://psychology.about.com/od/tindex/f/transpersonal-psychology.htm

http://www.katinkahesselink.net/other/shamanism.html

Edited by Seeker79
  • Like 5

Oh dear I'm laughing now. Seriously a large belly laugh. I needed that. It appears that one does not have to be mentally I'll to suffer from dellusions.

Charlie was a good friend of my mothers but several times in the railroad underpass he chased me screaming " you little ****". Used to scare the hell out of me. I told him about it when I was about 14. He apologized profusely.

With all that said there are certain kinds of mental reorganizations that are related to spiritual development that resemble certain mental illnesses, but are actually just a transition into a higher function and capacity. Sort of like chaos during a metamorphosis. With the right support the person emerges much healthier and capable. It's called a transpersonal emergence. Of course our non spiritual members will have a hard time accepting this, but in fact it's accepted by many talented psychologists. One can even obtain a degree in transpersonal psychology which integrates more spiritual concepts and is better apt at identifying an emergence as opposed to an illness and can take the apropriate steps to support the patient.

This is the opposite of the ops fire and brimstone rant. One of the things I live about psychology is that many phsycologists are patient driven and know that classification and categorization are only tools and they work for what will heal the patient and healing an individual will require an individual approach. Many many more psychologists are starting to understand more the spiritual components to certain kinds of issues. Indeed spiritual by materialistic evolutionary psychology or spiritual by the existence of spirit, human beings are spiritual animals and it's the psychologists job to get those with problems on their feet reguardless of their personal beliefs. I would never trust a psychologists that treated a spiritual person in adamit materialistic fashion nor would I trust a spiritual psychologist that treats another in accordance with their beliefs.

a little about transpersonal psychology

http://www.collegecrunch.org/school-profiles/california/institute-of-transpersonal-psychology/

http://psychology.about.com/od/tindex/f/transpersonal-psychology.htm

Thank you seeker... you said it better than me..