Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The History of Schizophrenia

notforgotten

Here is a link to what many contemporary Christians today believe schizophrenia is: http://en.wikipedia....e_(Christianity)

Edited by notforgotten

Many Christians today do not see schizophrenia as punishment, but as spiritual warfare.

And none of your post addresses my main point so here it is again:

My point here is, how do you prove your God is good? Without reference to a book made up specifically for that purpose.

As for God not asking too much, just that we be good and don't sin. A very small selection of these sins being:

ABORTION

Ex 21:22-25; Jere 1:4,5 2.

NOT ABSTAINING FROM ALL APPEARANCE OF EVIL

1 Thes 5:22 3.

ACCUSING

Jude 9; 2 Pe 2:11 4.

NOT ACKNOWLEDGING THINE INIQUITY

Jere 3:13 5.

ADULTERY

Mt 19:18; Gen 39:7-9; Ex 20:14

Penalty for both involved is death

Deut 22:22; Lev 20:10-12

To look on a woman to lust is adultery

Mt 5:28; 2 Pe 2:14 6.

AFRAID of people or circumstances

Ps 112:7 7.

AFRAID TO CONFESS JESUS TO PEOPLE

Jn 12:42 8.

UNJUSTIFIED ANGER (WRATHS)

Pv 27:4; 29:22; Ex 6:9; 2 Cor 12:20 9.

ANGRY WITH YOUR BROTHER

Mt 5:22 10.

ANXIOUS

Phili 4:6 NIV

..........Still going...

DRESSING INDECENTLY

1 Tim 2:9; Pv 7:10 71.

LOVE FANCY CLOTHING TO SHOW OFF-TO BE ADMIRED BY MEN

Mk 12:38

WOMEN-BEAUTY THAT COMES FROM WEARING GOLD JEWELRY

1 Pe 3:3

WOMEN-THAT DO NOT DRESS MODESTLY

1 Tim 2:9 74.

WOMEN-THAT ADORN THEMSELVES WITH GOLD, PEARLS, COSTLY ARRAY

1 Tim 2:9

DISOBEYING GOD’S COMMANDMENTS

1 Jn 2:3 76.

TAKE COMMUNION BUT HAVE SIN IN YOUR LIFE (CURSED)

1 Cor 11:29,30 77.

NOT HAVING COMPASSION

1 Pe 3:8 78.

COMPLAINERS

Jude 16 79.

COMPLAINING ABOUT HARDSHIPS

Num 11:1 NIV 80.

COMPLAINING ABOUT WHAT YOU DO NOT HAVE

Num 11:4-6; 21:5 81.

CONCEITED (PRIDE)

1 Tim 3:6; 2 Tim 3:2,4 82.

CONDEMNING

Lk 6:37 83.

CONTEMNS GOD

Ps 10:13 84.

CONTEMPT

Pv 23:22; Mt 18:10; Ro 14:3 85.

NOT BEING CONTENT WITH WHAT YOU HAVE

Heb 13:5

.................Surely not many more....

CONFORMING TO THIS WORLD

Ro 12:2 651.

FORSAKING GOD’S CALLING FOR THIS WORLD

2 Tim 4:10 652.

FRIENDSHIP OF THE WORLD (IS HATRED WITH GOD)

Ja 4:4 653.

GETTING ENTANGLED WITH THE AFFAIRS OF THIS LIFE

2 Tim 2:4 654.

GETTING SPOTTED FROM THE WORLD

Ja 1:27 655.

LIVING FOR YOURSELF

2 Cor 5:15; Lk 9:23 656.

LOVING THIS WORLD

1 Jn 2:15-17; Ja 1:27; 4:4 657.

LOVING YOUR LIFE

Jn 12:25 658.

MIND OR THOUGHTS ON THIS WORLD

Phili 3:18,19 659.

SERVING EARTHLY THINGS

Ro 1:25 660.

SPEAKING OF THE WORLD

Jn 3:31; 1 Jn 4:5,6 661.

SORROW OF THE WORLD

2 Cor 7:10 662.

WORLDLY AMBITION

Acts 8:18-24; Lk 12:15-21

And my personal favourites: Being Worried and Younger not submitting to Elder. Sure... Not asking much...

• Like 1

Here is a link to what many contemporary Christians today believe schizophrenia is: http://en.wikipedia....e_(Christianity)

Congratulations! You have excelled yourself by linking an article that does not exist...

Guessing you meant this: http://en.wikipedia...._(Christianity)

I challenge you to find any mention of schizophrenia or mental illness in said article.

Incidentally, this is what many more Christians consider schizophrenia to be.

Edited by Setton
  • Like 1

Congratulations! You have excelled yourself by linking an article that does not exist...

Guessing you meant this: http://en.wikipedia...._(Christianity)

I challenge you to find any mention of schizophrenia or mental illness in said article.

Incidentally, this is what many more Christians consider schizophrenia to be.

You can check the internet yourself. Look up schizophrenia and spiritual warfare or schizophrenia and Christian spiritual warfare.

You can check the internet yourself. Look up schizophrenia and spiritual warfare or schizophrenia and Christian spiritual warfare.

Ah yes, the internet. Fount of all knowledge. Because nothing on the internet is wrong or misrepresents a group :rolleyes: You can also find sites claiming Obama and the Queen are giant lizards. Doesn't mean it's true or that most people believe it.

As I said, many more go with the explanation I gave above.

Many Christians today do not see schizophrenia as punishment, but as spiritual warfare.

"Many Christians?" Back up that statement with facts, please.

How did religion get in this discussion of the known, but not well understood, psychiatric illness of schizophrenia?

How did religion get in this discussion of the known, but not well understood, psychiatric illness of schizophrenia?

"notforgotten" claims that it is not a psychiatric illness but it is caused by evil spirits who are either possessing, tormenting or punishing the victim for bad things they've done and the only cure is to become a Christian which has had a 100% success rate, while the medical community who treat thousands of schizophrenics every day has had no success because they use drugs instead of Jesus. In fact this so-called medical condition "schizophrenia" would have to be one of the biggest conspiracies in the history of mankind.

As for "science" and "evidence" to support these claims, those words appear to have little to no meaning to him. For example his undeniable proof of the existence of evil spirits was images of ghosts he found on the Internet. As for proof of the curative powers of Jesus Christ against spiritual tormentors he mentioned a web site which has two testimonies supporting his claim.

• Like 2

Well, thanks ffor the info, scowl.

I usually read all pages before commenting, but I obviously didn't in this case. My bad.

You know, I seem to recall hearing somewhere that many religions consider certaim forms of mental illness to be the result of "possession" or "oppression" by "evil spirits"

I heard that the Catholic Church will not officially perform an "exorcism" until medical conditions, including psychiatric are ruled-out.

• Like 1

That the behavior of a schizophrenic has something to do with gods doesn't seem an outrageous view to a prescientific society. Demon possession is the particular negative and evil slant Christians put on it -- they seem to do that with all kinds of unusual things -- interpret it as evil.

Other cultures hire scribes to follow the schizophrenic around and write down everything he or she says and does, hoping for clues to the future or some other form of divine wisdom. Having the illness in one of these cultures is a good meal ticket.

Other cultures hire scribes to follow the schizophrenic around and write down everything he or she says and does, hoping for clues to the future or some other form of divine wisdom. Having the illness in one of these cultures is a good meal ticket.

Is it just me, or did that just perfectly describe radical Islam? :passifier:

• Like 1

What I see is the American people looking for truth in spiritual matters. I see the American Psychiatric Association shadowing the truth with the lie that schizophrenia is merely an implied brain disorder and not persecution or suffering at the hands of the devils. Sometimes, the greatest of truths can not be found from the highly educated and well thought of but those considered as some of the most lowly in this world. In punishment, the devil is destroyed, mad, insane and psychotic. So is the schizophrenic life temporarily destroyed in punishment, mad, insane and psychotic. This is an affect of believing the lying, deceiving devils. The affect of sin and disbelief. Although, truth into the spiritual can come in many forms, the truth in the schizophrenic dilemma should not be ignored.

Edited by notforgotten

What I see is the American people looking for truth in spiritual matters. I see the American Psychiatric Association shadowing the truth with the lie that schizophrenia is merely an implied brain disorder and not persecution or suffering at the hands of the devils. Sometimes, the greatest of truths can not be found from the highly educated and well thought of but those considered as some of the most lowly in this world. In punishment, the devil is destroyed, mad, insane and psychotic. So is the schizophrenic life temporarily destroyed in punishment, mad, insane and psychotic. This is an affect of believing the lying, deceiving devils. The affect of sin and disbelief. Although, truth into the spiritual can come in many forms, the truth in the schizophrenic dilemma should not be ignored.

2 Thessalonians 2:9-10 The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs and lying wonders, and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness. Edited by notforgotten

2 Thessalonians 2:9-10 The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs and lying wonders, and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

I choose to respect your position. Nice to have actual opinions.

My own spirituality is somewhat different, but not far from your own.

In the way back machine, it was commonly accepted that mental illness was caused by demons & devils. People were tortured in an attempt to exorcise these evil spirits. That notion went by the wayside during the Age of Enlightenment and a better understanding of the human body and its diseases. In other words, it's rational. Truth can be found anywhere, as can commons sense, of course, it's not confined to just those with education or higher socio/economic status. I seriously doubt that you can find many people, uneducated or otherwise, who would agree with your hypothesis. I could be wrong here, but I'm guessing that notion of mental illness is caused by demons/satan is mostly limited to fundamentalists and to a very small portion of humanity. The Catholic Church, as an institution, no longer endorses or teaches that view. Granted there are those who still adhere to this belief, but they in no way represent the the views of the Catholic or Protestant majority or leadership, or indeed, the population in general.

In the way back machine, it was commonly accepted that mental illness was caused by demons & devils. God goes unchanging, so why would the devil be any different? People were tortured in an attempt to exorcise these evil spirits. I view this as mistreatment of the mentally ill. Fortunately, improvements in this area has been made. That notion went by the wayside during the Age of Enlightenment and a better understanding of the human body and its diseases. But not in the spiritual nature of mental illness. In other words, it's rational. The psychiatric view of schizophrenia is merely implied and is untruthful, unrighteous and destructive. Truth can be found anywhere, as can commons sense, of course, it's not confined to just those with education or higher socio/economic status. I seriously doubt that you can find many people, uneducated or otherwise, who would agree with your hypothesis. If you care to witness others, search the internet for schizophrenia and spiritual warfare. I could be wrong here, but I'm guessing that notion of mental illness is caused by demons/satan is mostly limited to fundamentalists and to a very small portion of humanity. The Catholic Church, as an institution, no longer endorses or teaches that view. They still adhere to the belief that the devil is real, but on account of law suits refrain from exorcisms and afflictions caused by the psychiatrist. Granted there are those who still adhere to this belief, but they in no way represent the the views of the Catholic or Protestant majority or leadership, or indeed, the population in general.

As it has always been, the truth has come not from the many, but the few.

Hmm interesting topic it brings to mind two words for me THE INQUISITION. :w00t:

• Like 1

Hmm interesting topic it brings to mind two words for me THE INQUISITION. :w00t:

Allow me to assist in our new age... It brings two words to me, radical Islam.

Allow me to assist in our new age... It brings two words to me, radical Islam.

Radical Islam has nothing to do with schizophrenia being persecution and suffering at the hands of the devils. Schizophrenia to the Christian can be seen as a call to grace and as work in salvation by the Holy Spirit. To all others, the reality of it would be only divine punishment for sin. This has nothing to due with radical Islam. Edited by notforgotten

I apologize if someone already mentioned this, I don't have time to read this whole thread, but my time is limited.

One of the key reasons that such episodes have been discredited as a form of supernatural communication is their lack of any consistency.

If a true and real religion were established on the ranting’s on one mad man, then we would have one universal religion. If someone found god in India, than it should be the same god as the Aztecs.

It is not.

The validation of scribbles and information given by schizophrenics subject to any deciphering by an outsider is often also inconsistent.

The fact is that the inability to follow logic impedes the development of the individual not only in society, but also in any rational life skill where personal preservation and the safety of others is an issue.

It is clear that there is not a lot of academic input into this conversation. I would think that if one would want to be taken seriously about the subject, they would at least start with a full understanding of the processes involved.

Divine punishment by the Holy Spirit as is the case with the schizophrenic can be a blessed experience for the person and can produce many if not all of the fruits of the Holy Spirit.

Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self control.

Love: love for God and neighbor as commanded by the Lord.

Joy: joy in knowing the truth and that one will be delivered from their enemies, the devils and be in the arms of their most loving creator.

Peace: peace through prayer and obedience to God.

Longsuffering: longsuffering with God's truth can produce a more humble and wiser person.

Kindness: kindness for others in knowing what destruction becomes of the unbelieving soul.

Goodness: goodness in the knowledge that God and his heavenly family is good.

Faithfulness: faithfulness in that these people have witnessed the devil and some of those in heaven have made themselves known to them as well (God, Jesus, angels and saints)

Gentleness: through suffering and discipleship become gentler people.

Self control: self control through obedience to God to ward off the devils.

These are merely examples of how the fruits of the Holy Spirit can be obtained through divine punishment and suffering.

Edited by notforgotten

I apologize if someone already mentioned this, I don't have time to read this whole thread, but my time is limited.

One of the key reasons that such episodes have been discredited as a form of supernatural communication is their lack of any consistency. The devils are lost souls and will lie and deceive people into believing that they are anything but what they really are. For example, they will masquerade as the Secret Service, police, FBI, CIA and yes even God. They are masters at the art of deception causing delusions and even psychosis. Simply put, the devil is likened a madman, striking madness in his victims. This is not to discredit the testimonies of those who truly have witnessed God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, angels and the saints in heaven. God and his people reach out to many of these broken souls.

The validation of scribbles and information given by schizophrenics subject to any deciphering by an outsider is often also inconsistent. But can be seen consistently with the knowledge we have of the devils and God.

Edited by notforgotten

Schizophrenia is a good demonstration of divine punishment and how we are shackled to the Evil One. Schizophrenia is punishment by the Holy Spirit for sin. It's sin that brings evil spirits into our lives. It's sin and lack of faith that shackles a person to the devil for all of eternity. The devils lie and deceive causing false beliefs, delusions and even psychosis in the minds of the schizophrenic. The devils often believe these lies themselves and quite frequently masquerade as something they are not. Psychosis and delusional thought is not unlike the condition of the lost souls being punished in the afterlife. This is merely the human and angelic condition without God. It is not something in which God does himself. We are evil and wicked without him. When a schizophrenic is psychotic, believing his own lies the lies of the devil, he is lost in punishment, not unlike the devils. In punishment, the soul is in ruins. During a psychotic episode, the schizophrenics life is in ruins. God, Jesus, the angels and saints in heaven sometimes reach out to these broken souls, guiding them away from sin, in truth, toward salvation to be delivered from this evil, our enemy, the devils.

Edited by notforgotten

Oh, quit being so rational. Where's the fun in that? There's no drama, no threat of death by fiery flames, no secret plots or emissaries of evil, no tension between good & evil to be resolved in a satisfactory way, no denouement. Spelling that last word may have been the hardest thing I've done all day. Hellfire & damnation, as retro as they are, are apparently making a big comeback. Oh, I have to go, I think I hear the four horsemen swiftly approaching, no doubt to deliver my heathen soul to the eternal flames. No, it turned out to be my neighbors aussies let out for an evening run.

• Like 1