Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The History of Schizophrenia

notforgotten

Oh, quit being so rational. Where's the fun in that? There's no drama, no threat of death by fiery flames, no secret plots or emissaries of evil, no tension between good & evil to be resolved in a satisfactory way, no denouement. Spelling that last word may have been the hardest thing I've done all day. Hellfire & damnation, as retro as they are, are apparently making a big comeback. Oh, I have to go, I think I hear the four horsemen swiftly approaching, no doubt to deliver my heathen soul to the eternal flames. No, it turned out to be my neighbors aussies let out for an evening run.

It is better not to see the unseen, then to be tormented by the devils. Edited by notforgotten

What I see is the American people looking for truth in spiritual matters. I see the American Psychiatric Association shadowing the truth with the lie that schizophrenia is merely an implied brain disorder and not persecution or suffering at the hands of the devils.

You've asserted this over a dozen times in this thread and you have yet to offer us one single tiny shred of evidence to support your outrageous conspiracy theory. Clearly you can do nothing but repeat it over and over which is a waste of everyone's time. Go file a law suit and see how quickly your claim falls apart in front of rational people.

Isn't one symptom of schizophrenia doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results? What results have you gotten from your posts here?

• Like 1

Schizophrenia is a good demonstration of divine punishment and how we are shackled to the Evil One. Schizophrenia is punishment by the Holy Spirit for sin.

That's a good slap in the face to any Schizophrenic person. To have to suffer from tortuous symptoms and then to be accused of deserving it. Shame on you.

• Like 8

That's a good slap in the face to any Schizophrenic person. To have to suffer from tortuous symptoms and then to be accused of deserving it. Shame on you.

Yep, turns out they were witches after all.

He's been slapping them left and right. He also accused them of defrauding the government out of disability checks by pretending schizophrenia is an illness. A good number of schizophrenics are living productive lives on medication and receive no assistance from the government.

• Like 2

Yep, turns out they were witches after all.

He's been slapping them left and right. He also accused them of defrauding the government out of disability checks by pretending schizophrenia is an illness. A good number of schizophrenics are living productive lives on medication and receive no assistance from the government.

No kidding! My uncle's good friends with a woman who has Schizophrenia, and she's doing just fine. Medication's supposedly working wonders. I'd say the 'b****** doctors from hell' notforgotten's been condemning are helping more then hurting. Unless or course, the medicine she's getting is 5mg of holy water a week. <_< Ridiculous.

• Like 1

You've asserted this over a dozen times in this thread and you have yet to offer us one single tiny shred of evidence to support your outrageous conspiracy theory. This is not a conspiracy theory. The psychiatrist does not have a shred of evidence. They will simply tell you that "they do not believe that schizophrenia is caused by evil spirits". Their research merely "implies" that schizophrenia is a brain disorder. No psychiatrist will tell you anything different. Many schizophrenics have taken pictures of what they have seen. Many schizophrenics know that it is real and not in their heads. Clearly you can do nothing but repeat it over and over which is a waste of everyone's time. Not as many times as this lie been repeated in the minds of the American people. The truth is seldom a waste of time for anybody, only for those that refuse to see it. Go file a law suit and see how quickly your claim falls apart in front of rational people. The rational people that you speak of are incapable of understanding the unseen.

Isn't one symptom of schizophrenia doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results? This is the doctrine of the twelve step program. What results have you gotten from your posts here? Results are something that only God can see. They are beyond my scope.

There is no shame in the truth. The truth exists whether we believe in it or not.

There is no shame in the truth. The truth exists whether we believe in it or not.

Instead of quoting fortune cookies, you should start offering evidence behind your claims... Is what I want to say, but others have already requested the same thing from you only to no avail. Your close-mindedness is an insult to the admirable Christians out there.

Yep, turns out they were witches after all. I'm not saying that anyone is or was ever a witch. Although consultation of demons can lead to knowledge of the future. This is not advised. As it turns out, those schizophrenics without misinterpretation who have claimed to witness God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, angels and devils have been telling the truth all along. Those in heaven reach out to these broken souls.

He's been slapping them left and right. He also accused them of defrauding the government out of disability checks by pretending schizophrenia is an illness. I'm not accusing anyone of defrauding the government. I'm not saying that schizophrenia is not a mental illness. The devils can do devastating work on the minds of its victims. A good number of schizophrenics are living productive lives on medication and receive no assistance from the government.

The truth can not harm anyone, but could lead them to loving God and a distaste for sin to be delivered from this evil, our enemy, the devils and further punishment in the afterlife. The lie is destructive and can lead the schizophrenic to joining those persecuting souls in the afterlife.

No kidding! My uncle's good friends with a woman who has Schizophrenia, and she's doing just fine. Medication's supposedly working wonders. I'd say the 'b****** doctors from hell' notforgotten's been condemning are helping more then hurting. Unless or course, the medicine she's getting is 5mg of holy water a week. <_< Ridiculous.

I'm glad to hear that your uncles good friend is doing fine. I'm not against medication, if it helps. It's not the psychiatrist that I'm against, but the lie that schizophrenia is only a brain disorder is what I'm against. The truth could lead people to God and salvation.

Instead of quoting fortune cookies, you should start offering evidence behind your claims... I have witnesses...millions of them, for thousands of years, people have given testimony to the truth. The truth has been known and still is amongst many people. To my support, you can look up schizophrenia and spiritual warfare, schizophrenia and demons, and the history of schizophrenia. Is what I want to say, but others have already requested the same thing from you only to no avail. Not one person can provide evidence that what I speak is not true. Your close-mindedness is an insult to the admirable Christians out there. My mind is open to the unseen. Psychiatry has closed theirs long ago.

Psychiatry has closed the minds of many people to the unseen. I find this to be an injustice to those in the invisible spirit world. And an injustice to the American who would otherwise know of this world.

The Truth about Schizophrenia

Schizophrenia is temporal punishment due to sin. Although, the Catholic Church views schizophrenia as the same mental illness described by psychiatry, they would have to discern whether a person is undergoing temporal punishment on an individual basis. I believe that schizophrenia is always temporal punishment and that the church has been misled by psychiatry.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church on temporal punishment is as follows:

Temporal punishment is purification of the unhealthy attachment to creatures, which is a consequence of sin that perdues even after death. We must be purified either during our earthly life through prayer and a conversion which comes from fervent charity (love for God & neighbor), or after death in purgatory.

Every sin, even venial, entails an unhealthy attachment to creatures, which must be purified either here on earth, or after death in a state called purgatory. This purification frees one from what is called the "temporal punishment" of sin. This punishment must not be conceived as kind of vengeance inflicted by God from without, but as following from the very nature of sin. A conversion which proceeds from a fervent charity can attain the complete purification of the sinner in such a way that no punishment would remain.

The forgiveness of sin and restoration of communion with God entail the remission of the eternal punishment of sin, but temporal punishment of sin still remains. While patiently bearing sufferings and trials of all kinds and, when the day comes, serenely facing death, the Christian must strive to accept this temporal punishment of sin as a grace. He should strive by works of mercy and charity, as well as by prayer and the various practices of penance, to put off completely the "old man" and to put on the "new man".

Well I have to put in my oar, even though my better judgement says I shouldn't. "Notforgotten" is sick, and an object lesson on too much religion (although I hasten to say that I don't think his religious views cause his problems, but that they are the main symptom). In my country he would be either in an institution or at a minium on a regime of mandatory medical treatment -- and he would be a much happier person.

Well I have to put in my oar, even though my better judgement says I shouldn't. "Notforgotten" is sick, and an object lesson on too much religion (although I hasten to say that I don't think his religious views cause his problems, but that they are the main symptom). In my country he would be either in an institution or at a minium on a regime of mandatory medical treatment -- and he would be a much happier person.

Your personal attack is unwarranted. I am neither sick nor a lesson for anyone to learn. I'm merely trying to open some eyes to the truth.
  • Like 1

Your personal attack is unwarranted. I am neither sick nor a lesson for anyone to learn. I'm merely trying to open some eyes to the truth.

I can see where you would think it was a personal attack, but it was really an attempt, albeit a probably hopeless attempt, to break through your barriers. Just remember that others see your assertions as personal attacks too but overlook them.

• Like 1

Notforgotten,

Being mentally ill myself I can tell you that yes, there is a grave injustice being done against us. It's called social stigma, improper education, conditions of mental hospitals and the fact that it is OKAY that pharmaceutical companies pay doctors to push certain medications. (Which doesn't just go for psychotropics).

Speaking of which, I have permanent brain damage from too high, too many and for too long of practically forced medications.

Think about it, in terms of haunted places, what carries the most suffering - mental hospitals.

As soon as you have a label of mentally ill EVERYTHING changes. I have not had one normal conversation by people who know me since they found out. EVERYONE treats me differently... even my family. And just when I think I might be having a normal conversatio n the same question always pops up "So, how are you?" In the someone just died tonality. It's been 7 years since I was diagnosed for **** sake!

I've had to been hospitalized 4 times in the past 6 years, so maybe I can understand the concern. But I don't need to be treated so differently. Isolated.

As far as being in the hospital, every time was a nightmare. NIGHTMARE!!!! It's a game. It's all a ******* game. And if you want to get out you have to know how to play. If you don't know how to play, or refuse to play then you aren't getting out for ****. I could write a book about my experiences, the details of the game, what they do, etc. But I honestly doubt anyone would believe me. :/

As far as delusions of being able to speak to god etc., associated with Schizophrenia, unfortunately, they are just delusions.

If someone does not have Schizophrenia and claims to speak to god then its either someone after fame, one who really can, or the pope.

I suggest you educate yourself with the ins and outs of the disease, as well as other mentally illnesses. - that would be a great gift. :)

• Like 3

As far as delusions of being able to speak to god etc., associated with Schizophrenia, unfortunately, they are just delusions.

I know many schizophrenics that swear that what they see and hear is real. Upon examination, most of these people would agree that it is mostly evil spirits. I've seen real pictures taken by a couple of diagnosed schizophrenics of the spirits they have seen. Clearly, it is not in their heads. The devil, wanting to be God, might masquerade as God, deceiving a person, causing a delusion of talking with God. It's not uncommon for people to misinterpret the invisible spirit world.

On the other hand, there are those schizophrenics (I believe not having given it much thought themselves) that believe what the doctors tell them, that research implies that it is a brain disorder and that none of it is real.

Is this topic about mental illness, or about demons, evil spirits & religious beliefs? Whatever, it's a circular argument and it's always going to chase its tail.

• Like 1

I don't see why you call the argument circular. Sure it goes round and round and no one ever convinces anyone of anything, but "circular" means an argument that uses its premises for its proof.

There are two competing theories here: that mental illness is cause by evil demons and that mental illness is caused by brain dysfunction or disease. Take your choice.

It occurs to me that maybe the brain dysfunction or disease is caused by evil demons.

I don't see why you call the argument circular. Sure it goes round and round and no one ever convinces anyone of anything, but "circular" means an argument that uses its premises for its proof.

There are two competing theories here: that mental illness is cause by evil demons and that mental illness is caused by brain dysfunction or disease. Take your choice.

It occurs to me that maybe the brain dysfunction or disease is caused by evil demons.

Or it could be that the 'evil demons' are a symptom of the brain dysfunction that is the disease ;)

Oops sorry! Consider that ^ courtesy of Batman and Cosmo! Lol

Anyway, I'm interested in what you have to say.

May I ask, what is it that your friends believe?

The psychiatrist does not have a shred of evidence.

There are decades of clinical studies that prove that medication is effective. There have been hundreds of articles in medical journals on scientific studies that show that certain neurological chemicals like dopamine are related to the disorder. The research continues and is far beyond the scope of this thread.

They will simply tell you that "they do not believe that schizophrenia is caused by evil spirits". Their research merely "implies" that schizophrenia is a brain disorder.

Yes, just like the red shift of distant galaxies "imply" that they moving away from us. Just like geological studies "imply" that the Earth is billions of years old. Just like studies "imply" that bacteria cause tooth decay and cigarettes cause cancer.

I understand religion far better than you understand science.

No psychiatrist will tell you anything different. Many schizophrenics have taken pictures of what they have seen.

This is a good one! Why yes, they have taken pictures however they will "interpret" them for you in amazing ways. For example one well known paranoid schizophrenic has an entire web site devoted to pictures of planes and helicopters he has taken. This may sound pointless, but the schizophrenic will explain that these distant aircraft were spying on him and reading his mind.

Many schizophrenics know that it is real and not in their heads.

The first lie you tell us is that schizophrenics believe their delusions. In fact most realize these delusions are the result of a mental disorder and seek help.

The second lie you keep telling us is that all schizophrenics are constantly tormented and suffering. Actually a large number of schizophrenics are doing very well on medication and live fairly normal lives. A surprising number of people have acute schizophrenia and can go long periods without symptoms and only take medication when they start experiencing them.

Your third lie is that medication does nothing and no schizophrenics take it. I have seen schizophrenics recover in a hospital after getting proper medication.

Your fourth lie is that you believe all schizophrenics describe evil spirits. I can say that thirty years ago very few schizophrenics I saw had religious delusions. Most delusions were about the intentions of friends and family members. A close second were delusions about the government and the police (they were usually loners). One person had delusions about aliens. The vast majority had rather mundane hallucinations and many of them were just experiencing fogginess and lack of concentration which is an early sign of the disease. From what I've heard talking to a social worker, delusions about implants and satellites beaming messages into their heads is the most common these days.

I can only remember three who had any delusions of a religious nature. One did believe in them and refused to take medication because they "interfered" with her "communication" with supernatural beings.

The second stopped having religious delusions after being put on medication. He was one of the patients who was able to return to college very quickly after being diagnosed. When he came in, he honestly believed that his room mates were devil worshipers but on a follow up visit, he told us that he now understood they just had bad taste in music! When this guy first came in, he wouldn't even smile. A month later he was making jokes!

The third certainly had religious delusions which bothered her family but they were not interfering with her life in any way and there were no indications that she was any danger to herself or anyone. On this basis, no medication was prescribed for her and she was released.

Clearly you can do nothing but repeat it over and over which is a waste of everyone's time.
Not as many times as this lie been repeated in the minds of the American people. The truth is seldom a waste of time for anybody, only for those that refuse to see it.

So your plan isn't to prove your theory by giving us persuasive evidence. Your plan is to repeat your nonsense over and over, as if that will convince someone.

Go file a law suit and see how quickly your claim falls apart in front of rational people.
The rational people that you speak of are incapable of understanding the unseen.

Wait! They're unseen? You said they have taken pictures of these spirits. Surely these pictures you spoke of earlier would convince them.

Results are something that only God can see. They are beyond my scope.

Actually results are something that anyone can see. That's the difference between you and me. The months I worked in a mental ward for college credit taught me more about schizophrenia than any book. I can describe schizophrenia from the experiences I had working with them and how they were treated. You can only speak about them in supernatural diatribes against invisible spirits.

The truth can not harm anyone, but could lead them to loving God and a distaste for sin to be delivered from this evil, our enemy, the devils and further punishment in the afterlife. The lie is destructive and can lead the schizophrenic to joining those persecuting souls in the afterlife.

Yet you have not seen any schizophrenics cured by your loving God. To us rational people, that tells the tale.

• Like 1