Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Weird goings on in Edinburgh

CatFromHell

Last weekend myself and my partner went to Edinburgh for a weekend, Whilst there we decided to find the statue of Greyfriar's Bobby, For those of you not in the know, He was a scottish terrier who, After his owner died, Stayed at the grave for 13 years until he himself died. We found it and it was rather unimpressive, But right next to it was greyfriars cemetary, I had seen it featured on scariest places on earth years ago so we decided to go and have a look. The history of the place is fascinating, Burke and hare operated here bodysnatching until they cottoned on that it was easier to make their own corpses, And there is a part of the cemetary that is locked away, Called the covenanters prison. When the scottish reformation was happening (which was when the king of England wanted the scots to become christians or catholics or something) people who refused were put there, And made to lie outside in the freeing cold. If they moved, They were shot. If one attempted to escape, 10 others would be rounded up and shot as punishment. The guy in charge of all this was called george mckenzie, Delightfully nicknamed bloody mckenzie. Some years ago, A tramp broke into george mckenzies tomb, Fell through the floor into a chamber below, Which was full of human remains. Since then the place has been plagued with poltergeist activity. We walked around the graveyard for a bit and then decided to go to the pub (yay). The pub we went to is reputedly the most haunted pub in edinburgh, Half of it is in the old vaults, Which are a series of underground vaults, Originally used for storage for shops, Pubs etc, But back in those days it was illegal to be homeless in Edinburgh so soon families were living in them too. They became quite crime filled plaes and very overcrowded, And were eventually sealed off and forgotten about until they were rediscovered in the 1980's. Whilst sat in the pub, I suddenly became very very cold, But only on the lower half of my body, I remarked to my boyfriend who laughed it off. It was warm in the pub, It was a warm sunny day outside for once in scotland, And the top half of my body was warm. After about 2 minutes, My temp returned to normal, Then a couple of minutes later, My boyfriend experienced the same thing. Then my boyfriend pointed to my hand and said what have you done to your hand, I looked and on the back of my hand was a cut, About half a centimetre long and bleeding profusely, There was also one on my thumb. I never thought any more of this until later when i looked up greyfriars cemetary on my phone, And there have been reports of people being scratched by an invisible entity there, Some noticed at the time, Some afterwards. I know I had not scraped my hand on anything, And the cut was not there before i went into the cemetary. I was pretty freaked out by this and it obviously happened in the cemetary or in the pub.

When we returned home, I never mentioned it to my 11 year old son, But the following morning he told me he had seen a ghost in his room. He said it was a black shadow in the shape of a human, Standing by his door looking at him, My son looked away and the figure had moved slightly away from the door, Then vanished. This happened for 3 nights and actually really freaked me out, I also heard things in the night like somebody moving around but that may have been my imagination, but there was an atmosphere in the house I don't know how else to describe it.. Do you think I may have bought something from Edinburgh with me? I am quite sensitive to ghosts and have seen many over the years but never in my house and have never sensed anything there even though its an old house, And even spoken with one. Maybe one followed me home from edinburgh,

It appears to have gone now but what do you guys think? Sorry for rambling

• Like 2

sounds pretty freaky, everytime i go to a "haunted area" i never can see anything :/

• Like 1

Greetings,

It's possible. I enjoyed reading your account as i have been to these places and experienced them a few times, including the vaults. There is more to the history of the vaults as a whole street is sealed off also, was built over with a new street on top which is just on/off the royal mile, and left to be forgotten with the sick and poor to die and rot. This was during the times of the plague and was the only way they knew how to deal with it then. So many died and were abandoned to die. As a medium/sensitive Edinburgh has a lot going on metaphysically, it doesn't surprise me that you experienced what you did. I only clairvoyantly experienced things in the vaults, was able to tap into the past residuals left there but personally did not sense anything trapped or held there in present consciousness.

I wanted to add that i have experienced being visited by prominent/ dominant spirits BEFORE going to the location, for it only to make sense once i get there. Happened with Culzean Castle for example for 2 weeks prior to the visit, the moment i saw his portrait hanging up i knew who i had been seeing and talking to. I still occasionally see this spirit passing by. Attachments can happen where ever you go, it's good that this one has left now, but if it becomes a repeated thing you need to learn how to shield before going to such places and learn to clear yourself and your space using your intention.

• Like 1

Thanks blu3, I know about the history of the vaults, i just ran out of steam! I have visited the vaults before and although I never saw anything, The whole place had this incredible sadness to it (I thought so, My mum didn't feel it), It must have been residual energy like you said, A lot of places in Edinburgh feel like that though, Not surprising when you think of the history of the place, I'm determined to go back!

Mary king's close in Edinburgh is much the same as the vaults too, And worth a look if you're ever back there and haven't visited already.

Edited by catfromhell

When the scottish reformation was happening (which was when the king of England wanted the scots to become christians or catholics or something) people who refused were put there, And made to lie outside in the freeing cold. If they moved, They were shot. If one attempted to escape, 10 others would be rounded up and shot as punishment.

Another Ealdwita snippet.....

The Covenanters were Scottish Presbyterians who signed the National Covenant in 1638 to confirm their opposition to the interference by the Stuart kings in the affairs of Scotland.

Charles I and II harboured the belief of the Divine Right of the Monarch. Not only did they believe that God wished them to be the infallible rulers of their kingdom, they also believed that they were the spiritual heads on the Church of Scotland. This latter belief could not be accepted by the Scots. No man, not even a king, could be spiritual head of their church. Only Jesus Christ could be the spiritual head of a Christian Church.

After the battle of Bothwell Bridge (22nd.June 1679), more than 1200 prisoners were brought to Edinburgh, 400 of them being held in Greyfriars Churchyard, in a spot now known as the Covenanters’ Prison. They were kept under guard for five winter months, with little more than 4 ounces of bread and water, and little shelter, before either being executed or transported as slaves. Those who signed oaths of allegiance to the king were released. Those who died in the prison were buried in the area traditionally reserved for criminals.

The original memorial commemorating the Covenanters was erected in 1707 by James Currie (himself an ex-Covenanter). Edinburgh Town Council granted permission for the memorial with the proviso that – “there be no inscription to be put upon the tomb but the sixth chapter of Revelation, verses 9, 10 and 11”. When the present memorial was erected in 1771 by Charles Fairnington, the quote was incorporated.

(Sources - my notes and The Scottish Covenanters' Memorials Association)

Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 1