Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Myths busted, hoaxes exposed.

Hazzard

As much as I enjoy the mysteries and and cool stories we hear about here at UM, it can also be important to be able to separate the nonsense from the "real deal", if there is such a thing.

Fakebusters! Can you see why some of the world's best monster photos are really frauds and hoaxes?

http://www.creationt...om/dinocam.html

Edited by Hazzard
  • Like 2

Regarding the faked UFO picture, the compiler of the page says,

" And if a UFO photo contains a real car, people can enlarge and improve the picture and adjust it until they can read the vehicle's license plate. When you track down the driver of this car, who was driving to church on a Sunday morning, you find there was no UFO in the sky at the time."

The problem with this is that in Queensland, as in other Australian states, the owners of cars cannot be identified from the registration (licence) plate by the general public. Police can do it, and very quickly, but unless you know a cop who is willing to bend the rules or you happen to know the car, you can't do it.

Not saying the photo is real of course.

• Like 3

Why do I get the feeling that someone is just trying to drive traffic to a Young Earth Creationist website?

• Like 3

Access denied. Your IP address [64.223.177.251] is blacklisted. If you feel this is in error please contact your hosting providers abuse department

Guess I can't get on from work :lol:

• Like 1

Why do I get the feeling that someone is just trying to drive traffic to a Young Earth Creationist website?

Good, it's not just me. There's a section on how becoming a church-going born again Christian has been scientifically proven to give you better health and more successful careers. Confusingly, it seems to imply that Christianity is the only religion and your only other choice is atheism.

• Like 1

My gut feeling upon looking at that website is that there is crankery of some sort behind. Cranks always have horrible looking websites, as if a 12 year old designed it in 1995.

Despite what they say about dinosaur photos and bust some of the stupider creationist myths (like NASA proving the story of Joshua and the sun standing still true), it's just a Christian website promoting the Bible and anti-evolution.

They have whole sections devoted to anti-evolution garbage, trying to defend the Noah's Ark myth, preaching about finding God, etc.

Edited by Archimedes
  • Like 1

My gut feeling upon looking at that website is that there is crankery of some sort behind. Cranks always have horrible looking websites, as if a 12 year old designed it in 1995.

Many crank sites appear to have stolen the simple format of other popular sites back in 1995 when they found out about the Internet and have just kept on using it year after year because they know they can keep typing in stuff without breaking it. Especially popular are the list of links centered down the middle of the screen in random font sizes and colors.

Its actually an interesting site. Thanks for sharing.

Wouldn't it be a great idea to have a sticky post in the cryptid forum with confirmed hoax and fakes? So that whenever we see something on youtube, or anywhere else for that matter, we just come here and have a quick look?

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be a great idea to have a sticky post in the cryptid forum with confirmed hoax and fakes? So that whenever we see something on youtube, or anywhere else for that matter, we just come here and have a quick look?

Thats what I was thinking,... slinging the creationists BS was by no means the intent.

Thats a great idea! Who would we have to ask about this? Theres no stickies on any of the boards on here that i am aware of.

Thats what I was thinking,... slinging the creationists BS was by no means the intent.

I didn't think it was Hazzard, not really your "thing" as far as I know.

As much as I enjoy the mysteries and and cool stories we hear about here at UM, it can also be important to be able to separate the nonsense from the "real deal", if there is such a thing.

Fakebusters! Can you see why some of the world's best monster photos are really frauds and hoaxes?

http://www.creationt...om/dinocam.html

Good topic..... We need more threads that exposes the myriad of hoaxes out there. God knows we have the exact opposite all around us.

I actually kind of like this idea. So new members who come here and want to talk about something that's already been debunked/proven to be fake can be directed there. I just wonder how we would organize it.

To the subject of hoaxes and fakes, there are quite a few out there. The Surgeon's Photograph of Nessie is supposed to be a fake. There's also the hippo swallows a dwarf hoax or something like that.

• Like 1

We could just ask Saru to pin this one.

• Like 1

I liked this site until it lost its focus and started including confirmed events that just happen to be fun.

Like what exactly?

Thats nice, hazzard.... but....

Those sites arent even half as popular as these..... :P

http://www.enterprisemission.com/

http://theshadowlands.net/ghost/

Why is that you think?

Regarding the faked UFO picture, the compiler of the page says,

" And if a UFO photo contains a real car, people can enlarge and improve the picture and adjust it until they can read the vehicle's license plate. When you track down the driver of this car, who was driving to church on a Sunday morning, you find there was no UFO in the sky at the time."

The problem with this is that in Queensland, as in other Australian states, the owners of cars cannot be identified from the registration (licence) plate by the general public. Police can do it, and very quickly, but unless you know a cop who is willing to bend the rules or you happen to know the car, you can't do it.

Not saying the photo is real of course.

I have access to http://www.ppsr.gov.au :devil:

Thats nice, hazzard.... but....

Those sites arent even half as popular as these..... :P

http://www.enterprisemission.com/

http://theshadowlands.net/ghost/

Why is that you think?

In sci-fi/fantasy the possibilities are endless,...

abr_heavy_metal_2007_calendar_07_carlos_diez.jpg

and Im guessing that the money is better.

241482d1332398655-tahatchapi-calif-colorado-desert-spanish-armour-desert-ships-millmat.jpg

Edited by Hazzard

That was the vibe I got too..., not to mention that I think the idea that the world is only 6,000 years old is completely absurd... If the world is only 6,000 years old, then why can we see the light from stars hundreds of thousand of "light years"(the measure of distance light can travel in a year) away?...

That was the vibe I got too..., not to mention that I think the idea that the world is only 6,000 years old is completely absurd... If the world is only 6,000 years old, then why can we see the light from stars hundreds of thousand of "light years"(the measure of distance light can travel in a year) away?...

If the Earth were young, it would imply that All XX century physics is very wrong.

We have no clue about why chemistry works, and all modern biology is wrong, we dont really understand modern medicine, or Paleontology? Nope, all wrong. Geology? Back to the XIX century as well.

http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/1438/is-the-earth-6000-years-old

But try telling this to the Y.E crowd,... :lol: