Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I think my laptop is overheating

Star of the Sea

Hello everyone!

I'm not a computer expert so I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise on my HP laptop. The fans are whirring loudly and I think it's overheating. I googled to see if I could get some information. One tip was blow cold air by the vents. I've tried that but it sounds like my laptop is going to combust!

Hello everyone!

I'm not a computer expert so I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise on my HP laptop. The fans are whirring loudly and I think it's overheating. I googled to see if I could get some information. One tip was blow cold air by the vents. I've tried that but it sounds like my laptop is going to combust!

Happend to mine, but it stopped after 2 weeks and my laptop worked fine after. I tapped the keyboard and it seemed to stop liud noises sometimes. I think its dust blocking.

Happend to mine, but it stopped after 2 weeks and my laptop worked fine after. I tapped the keyboard and it seemed to stop liud noises sometimes. I think its dust blocking.

Thanks 'Nix' will try that. I may have to close it down, seriously worried it's going to explode :unsure2:

Thanks 'Nix' will try that. I may have to close it down, seriously worried it's going to explode :unsure2:

Thats what i thought, use a can of air.

• Like 2

Buy a can of air and blast through all the vents, that might help if it's dust. HP's can have bad GPU overheating. Some of them have a really bad cooling system which is used to cool the CPU and GPU which is rather a stupid design.

EDIT^ beat me to it wihtt he can of air.

Do not use a flammable one though.

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 2

Buy a can of air and blast through all the vents, that might help if it's dust. HP's can have bad GPU overheating. Some of them have a really bad cooling system which is used to cool the CPU and GPU which is rather a stupid design.

EDIT^ beat me to it wihtt he can of air.

Do not use a flammable one though.

Thanks Coffey... I am going to shutdown in a minute because the fans are so loud eeeeek!

• Like 1

Hello everyone!

It happened to mine a few weeks ago, it would just crash after getting real hot....the fan was working but my laptop had three years of fluff clogging the main inlet ventilation vent and had then clogged up all the outlet vents

DONT use compressed air all you do it blow the dust around the insides, if your able to google your model, do it and check how to replace the fan..it will tell you where it is.

Once you know how and can see the fan, unscrew it as if your going to replace it, but keep the wires connected, then with a small paint brush or similar and a piece of paper to collect the fluff brush it from the vents onto the paper and from the fan blades.

The fluff build up should be obvious once you remove the fan from the vent...if this isn't the problem then your fan needs replacing but its wise to clean the vents also

Edited by ciriuslea
  • Like 1

You could invest in a Laptop Cooling pad, Simple and easy to use.

• Like 2

It happened to mine a few weeks ago, it would just crash after getting real hot....the fan was working but my laptop had three years of fluff clogging the main inlet ventilation vent and had then clogged up all the outlet vents

DONT use compressed air all you do it blow the dust around the insides, if your able to google your model, do it and check how to replace the fan..it will tell you where it is.

Once you know how and can see the fan, unscrew it as if your going to replace it, but keep the wires connected, then with a small paint brush or similar and a piece of paper to collect the fluff brush it from the vents onto the paper and from the fan blades.

The fluff build up should be obvious once you remove the fan from the vent...if this isn't the problem then your fan needs replacing but its wise to clean the vents also

Thanks Ciriuslea. I will do as you suggest. I'm a bit nervous about unscrewing it as I might not be able to put it back together again! So I will ask my hubby to take a look. I closed my laptop down to try and cool it and just switched it back on but I only get about 15 mins and it rev's up again. :unsure2:

You could invest in a Laptop Cooling pad, Simple and easy to use.

Oh not heard of those! Thanks, will look into buying one :tu:

If it continues to overheat it can mess it up. I take my computer apart and clean the fans with a cotton swab and 91% rubbing alcohol.

• Like 2

If it continues to overheat it can mess it up. I take my computer apart and clean the fans with a cotton swab and 91% rubbing alcohol.

Thanks Hilander! You're braver than me taking your computer apart :D I can't get the hoover back together when I clean the vents! I'm going to try though.. wish me luck :w00t:

Thanks Ciriuslea. I will do as you suggest. I'm a bit nervous about unscrewing it as I might not be able to put it back together again! So I will ask my hubby to take a look. I closed my laptop down to try and cool it and just switched it back on but I only get about 15 mins and it rev's up again. :unsure2:

I was too, but take your time with it, and have a container for all the screws, the fan should be right under a removable section of the outer case and should be quite easy to get at, the fanshould have two screws one on each side and then should have a snug fit onto the inlet, don't worry about removing it, they are made to be changed, I couldn't release the connecting wires on mine so just propped it up to one side, while I removed the fluff. good luck with it.

I was too, but take your time with it, and have a container for all the screws, the fan should be right under a removable section of the outer case and should be quite easy to get at, the fanshould have two screws one on each side and then should have a snug fit onto the inlet, don't worry about removing it, they are made to be changed, I couldn't release the connecting wires on mine so just propped it up to one side, while I removed the fluff. good luck with it.

Thanks for that.. you're a star! :tu:

• Like 1

Hello everyone!

It sounds like your laptop needs a clean.

The best thing to use is a vaccum cleaner to give those fans a workout. You need to leave your laptop plugged in (athough turned off) so its grounded and just put the nozzle on the fan vents.

• Like 2

The best thing to use is a vaccum cleaner to give those fans a workout. You need to leave your laptop plugged in (athough turned off) so its grounded and just put the nozzle on the fan vents.

This would be my reccomendation as well.

Remember, just because they call them laptops doesn't mean you should actually use them on your lap. People don't realize that setting them on beds or couches tends to block the fans from doing their job. The reason laptop coolers work so well is because you are placing the laptop on a flat surface that doesn't block the ventilation system.

The reason the fans are 'whirring' louder than normal is because your CPU is asking for more cooling power from the fans.

You may also want to check your performance monitor to make sure your CPU isn't maxing out.

Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to bring up your Task manager. Then click the performance tab. If the CPU usuage is spiked then you may have other other issues such as a virus.

Hope that helps. :tu:

• Like 1

It sounds like your laptop needs a clean.

Thanks that's a brilliant idea! I tried unscrewing the laptop to get to the fans but panicked :w00t: and stopped :unsure2: I will try that now :tu:

Edited by Star of the Sea

This would be my recommendation as well.

Remember, just because they call them laptops doesn't mean you should actually use them on your lap. People don't realize that setting them on beds or couches tends to block the fans from doing their job. The reason laptop coolers work so well is because you are placing the laptop on a flat surface that doesn't block the ventilation system.

The reason the fans are 'whirring' louder than normal is because your CPU is asking for more cooling power from the fans.

You may also want to check your performance monitor to make sure your CPU isn't maxing out.

Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to bring up your Task manager. Then click the performance tab. If the CPU usage is spiked then you may have other other issues such as a virus.

Hope that helps. :tu:

Thanks Biff for all the info. I bought like a mini table (with a beanie surface) so it's on a solid surface but guess I've left it too late. I must admit sometimes I sit in bed and I know it can't be good for the computer laying it on the covers of the bed :blush: . I will definitely try the hoover! I have just done Ctrl + Shift + Esc as you recommended

There is showing on the CPU usage graph, only what I can only describe as 'little spikes' (no higher than two grids ) hopefully that makes sense? So, does that suggest a virus? Also just gone back and repeated and the 'spikes' are a little higher now (three grids high) but then it fluctuates and mainly stays no higher than 2 grid high spikes. Sorry to pick your brains but do I need to do a scan?

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply and don't worry if your busy I can ring HP. :)

There is showing on the CPU usage graph, only what I can only describe as 'little spikes' (no higher than two grids ) hopefully that makes sense? So, does that suggest a virus? Also just gone back and repeated and the 'spikes' are a little higher now (three grids high) but then it fluctuates and mainly stays no higher than 2 grid high spikes. Sorry to pick your brains but do I need to do a scan?

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply and don't worry if your busy I can ring HP. :)

Little spikes are normal. Try the Hoover on it. If the fan is just loud and not making a 'squeaky/screechy' sound then you will probably be in good shape after the vacuum.

I definitely wouldn't use a laptop on a bed without putting it on some sort of flat surface.

Here's a link to some laptop coolers. They are usually a flat surface with a built in fan that just plugs into your laptop's USB port to make the fans work.

LAPTOP COOLERS (I use NewEgg all the time, they are a great company that is fast and trustworthy).

• Like 1

Little spikes are normal. Try the Hoover on it. If the fan is just loud and not making a 'squeaky/screechy' sound then you will probably be in good shape after the vacuum.

I definitely wouldn't use a laptop on a bed without putting it on some sort of flat surface.

Here's a link to some laptop coolers. They are usually a flat surface with a built in fan that just plugs into your laptop's USB port to make the fans work.

LAPTOP COOLERS (I use NewEgg all the time, they are a great company that is fast and trustworthy).

Thanks Biff! :nw: You have probably saved me a lot of time and money! :-*

• Like 1