Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Applicants wanted for one-way ticket to Mars.

keithisco

Eh... I'd be tempted to apply, personally. Least those who go would be away from the BS of Earth.

with a lifespan of say 6 months to a year unless you get food growing, water to drink, and provided you have something to make breathable oxygen. To take enough supplies to last the - what, six months in space travel, and then more supplies for when you landed, really needs to be looked into more. Half a dozen peoples food and water requirements just for the journey is going to cause some issues I reckon, let alone when they landed. How do they get all the living pods there?

I think they're gonna need a bigger boat to be honest

Edited by seeder

i have to say people this sounds like a amazing and fun opportunity and chance to visit mars.i personally would volunteer and sign a application.of course oi would try to minimize as much as the risk as possible though.what are health risk and dangers though?

i have to say people this sounds like a amazing and fun opportunity and chance to visit mars.i personally would volunteer and sign a application.of course oi would try to minimize as much as the risk as possible though.what are health risk and dangers though?

Health risks and dangers are...well...death is probably the worst one :sk

• Like 3

.what are health risk and dangers though?

Death most likely... radiation damage, bone numbing freezing temps, starvation and thirst before that, plus factor in the Mars depression, ie, realizing theres nothing there for you or ever will be...probably enough to make a person go berserk...

• Like 1

from the article:

"The apparatus which recycles human waste and turns "yesterday's coffee into into tomorrow's coffee needs frequent maintenance and would likely not survive years of continuous duty on Mars", he says"

Not good then, you need to have better equipment or different systems to fall back on. I think the story is sensationalism... I cant believe any govt would let people go on a - literally - one way suicide mission

I don't think Govt. should have anything to do with what any of its citizens might choose to do. Besides, imagine the honour there'd be at being the first nation whose citizens set foot on an actual foreign Planet.

I don't think Govt. should have anything to do with what any of its citizens might choose to do. Besides, imagine the honour there'd be at being the first nation whose citizens set foot on an actual foreign Planet.

But the applications are from all nations, so which nation exactly shall celebrate?

And see what happens when people protest! The citizens want to do that, then they get corralled, sprayed with gas, beaten, jailed! But I DO agree, we shouldn't be treated in that way and we should be able to explore space.... but to possibly contaminate another planet as well? I dunno, the people going just cannot be assured of any life worth living....or even, living for very long. Remember this is for a TV show.... (a bit like the Running Man was too - Arnies version of course)

What great TV viewing (and ratings= earnings) to see our fellow man on webcam going slowly insane, starving, crying, asking for help they cant ever get, doing crazy stuff, and then dying

If it had a breathable atmosphere that might be a positive...

Mars shall be free from the Earth Dominion forces!...or am I too early for that?

Edited by Geladius
  • Like 1

For me it would depend upon who they are sending if its a bunch of loud mouthed extremist groups, religious nutters etc etc then "No". If its nice wholesome people who aren't full of hang-ups then yes. :alien:

Why would anyone want to go?... according to most on here its just rocks and clay up there. Curiosity has suggested that. If you discovered anything weird, it would just be debunked by all and sundry.

• Like 1

From the OP link:

Future explorers take note. Applicants must be resilient, adaptable, resourceful and must work well within a team. The whole project will be televised, from the reality TV style selection process, to landing and beyond.

Most people are NOT going to meet those requirements. Adaptable alone kicks out half the human race, and resourceful most of the rest....

I'd go if I was single, younger and had no prospects... and if the concept had already been proven.

Anyway, appently they will be sending people up and over (one way) in 2 year cycles, so if you don't go on the first wave, there is always the second and third trips.

Once they get there, I wonder what will prevent them from refueling (probably with ice) and heading back? Is the ship set to land and not be able to take off again??

It's to be a Reality Show, but I think that I may only watch the first bit. Who cares what is happening to them as they lay around traveling for 8 months?

• Like 1

Send all my worst enemies to Mars on one way trips, Like the idea. if micro meteors don't hole the ship and take them out on the way they will never get back to bother me again. living in space suits for the rest of their lives and being slaves to the moneyed few who will not work.... sounds good to me. X lady friends/wives/bosses/politicians..... where do they sign up at

I know at least three I would signup right now if I thought I could get away with it.

Edited by mysticwerewolf
  • Like 1

I want to go ,And by myself ! That way nobody will believe that I did it !

• Like 2

i wanta go this world we live in on earth is starting to suck like ahorny spider monkey humping your leg

This is how the progress is made... by pushing it.. not by passive exploration.. They have a well thought plan i dont know how funding is going so far but i guess they met the demands...

Damn i love such news!

But the applications are from all nations, so which nation exactly shall celebrate?

And see what happens when people protest! The citizens want to do that, then they get corralled, sprayed with gas, beaten, jailed! But I DO agree, we shouldn't be treated in that way and we should be able to explore space.... but to possibly contaminate another planet as well? I dunno, the people going just cannot be assured of any life worth living....or even, living for very long. Remember this is for a TV show.... (a bit like the Running Man was too - Arnies version of course)

What great TV viewing (and ratings= earnings) to see our fellow man on webcam going slowly insane, starving, crying, asking for help they cant ever get, doing crazy stuff, and then dying

If it had a breathable atmosphere that might be a positive...

But you were saying that I can't believe any govt would let people go on a - literally - one way suicide mission. I was asking why it should be the business of any Government to prevent anyone from doing so, if it was their own free will? I don't know what complaining about governments brutally assaulting anyone who protests has to do with it?

I want to go ,And by myself ! That way nobody will believe that I did it !

but dude .... you may well be eaten.... its plausible !

Can we collect and book a couple of our conspiracy troothers on that flight?

We should send Chuck Norris first,... then all the bad guys.

I love the idea that commercial companies are taking the initiative to explore the cosmos. But eight years of training each of these volunteers, the cost of the flight, the spaceship, equipment, fuel, maintenance, material expenses, possible compensation payments for loss of lives. Quite expensive!!

Where is the ROI going to come from to pay for all of this? All it takes is one trip to go pear shaped and costs would become exorbitant. The story of these volunteers, photos of Mars may pay back some of the costs....for the first trip or two. After the novelty, humans start getting bored and loose interest with things.

Sounds great but just don't believe it's feasible yet.

Edited by Black Red Devil
  • Like 1

i wanta go this world we live in on earth is starting to suck like ahorny spider monkey humping your leg

No matter how your life is on earth, its still a paradise compared to Mars

• Like 1

But you were saying that I can't believe any govt would let people go on a - literally - one way suicide mission. I was asking why it should be the business of any Government to prevent anyone from doing so, if it was their own free will? I don't know what complaining about governments brutally assaulting anyone who protests has to do with it?

I was talking of our ability to do what we wanted, or not as the case may be! But maybe I ranted. Well youre right I guess. In the UK some people who are terminally ill have to ask if they can end their life, and very often are told no. Wheres the free will there? Its a suicide mission too, literally, but still it goes thru the courts. Now, considering these people will most likely die within a short time frame, (and why should they live long?)...surely some ethics are called into play?

Imagine the show Big Brother filming two guys playing real Russian roulette? It just will not happen will it? Not in the western/civilised world anyway. Yet a bunch of people with no way of coming home and with limited resources, on Mars of all places, being televised? Come on, whats the outcome going to be? But hey lets not argue about individual rights and liberties.. If it ever goes ahead, sure I will watch it, Id be too fascinated not too...even to the very end.. which is how it must end. As I quoted earlier, Antartica has been visited but never settled, and compared to Mars, Antarctica is a walk in the park

Yall realise they don't plan to put people there for another ten years. It's not going to just be in the next year or two. They seem to be planning a hell of a lot.

They have people, they have the means. I say go for it.

Edited by krypter3
  • Like 1

Until the enlightened Greeks gave us a spherical earth, there were adventurers who were willing to sail to the ends of the earth and those who chose not to chance it. We see this enacted everyday in perhaps trivial ways; there are those who acquiesce to their fears and drive large SUVs and then there are the adventurers on their motorcycles. We all play a probability game. That "we are not going to get of this alive" gives us the diversity and daring that has ultimately made us so successful.

• Like 2