Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Applicants wanted for one-way ticket to Mars.

keithisco

Yall realise they don't plan to put people there for another ten years. It's not going to just be in the next year or two. They seem to be planning a hell of a lot.

They have people, they have the means. I say go for it.

I agree with you... explorers crossed the oceans 500+ years ago not knowing if they would fall off the edge, people explored Inner Africa with virtually no support and no lifelines. They did it because it WAS a challenge, and because it was there. It is almost a genetic imperitive to put yourself in danger to open up new avenues of exploration and discovery.

Some people will always ask "is it 100% safe?"... these are the people who will be weeded out at the first pass.

The fact is that you would have to work hard to survive, and what greater imperitive is there than that? Establish your base near to frozen ice for oxygen and water, near to Volcanic Tubes for the opportunity to seal off and pressurise, near to clay deposits for the nutrients.

• Like 1

from the article:

"The apparatus which recycles human waste and turns "yesterday's coffee into into tomorrow's coffee needs frequent maintenance and would likely not survive years of continuous duty on Mars", he says"

Not good then, you need to have better equipment or different systems to fall back on. I think the story is sensationalism... I cant believe any govt would let people go on a - literally - one way suicide mission

Does the Coffee taste ok ?......Everyone on this rock has eaten or drank recycled animal and human waste,how,s this years crop of potatoes doing ?

Now it may appear Im putting a dampener on this mission idea. Im not, and Im interested to see how it works out.....its just that I base my views as much as possible on the facts of the matter. So...assuming then the mission is on.... where do the live when they arrive? if they transport liveable pods - the size of the ship will have to be extremely big, which will push the price up massively.

So lets conquer that issue first? An excerpt from wiki

"Conditions for human habitation"

Based on scientific evidence, collected by satellites and the NASA Rovers, conditions are not “hospitable” to humans or life as we know it. Antarctica has temperatures that are comparable, though Mars is colder, but other environmental circumstances are very unlike those of Earth, in fact would be deadly to all life as we know it. These include greatly reduced air pressure, an atmosphere that’s 95% carbon dioxide, almost no oxygen (compared to Earth’s 21% oxygen and almost no carbon dioxide), reduced gravity, and no liquid water (although amounts of frozen water have been detected). Despite this, some consider Mars to be “habitable,” but which would require that life support measures be taken. People would need to live in artificial environments. Man might one day step foot on Mars and scout around, but it’s unknown if man could ever adapt to living on Mars as a permanent resident.

more great info:

http://en.wikipedia....ization_of_Mars

So its usual temp is the same as and colder than Antarctica... If you have to live in a pod for the rest of your life, how much fun is that?

Edited by seeder

would be deadly to all life as we know it

not quiet true. there is some forms of life on earth (bacteria and lichens) that could probably survive the conditions on mars, especially bacteria, and especially underground. but otherwise a fair point.

nevertheless, first colonies rarely ever succeed but its the human will to keep trying until they do.

• Like 1

not quiet true. there is some forms of life on earth (bacteria and lichens) that could probably survive the conditions on mars, especially bacteria, and especially underground. but otherwise a fair point.

nevertheless, first colonies rarely ever succeed but its the human will to keep trying until they do.

In fairness the wiki page covered that too

"Terraforming"

It may be possible to terraform Mars to allow a wide variety of living things, including humans, to survive unaided on Mars' surface.[6] In April 2012, it was reported that some lichen and cyanobacteria survived and showed remarkable adaptation capacity for photosynthesis after 34 days in simulated Martian conditions in the Mars Simulation Laboratory (MSL) maintained by the German Aerospace Center

I think their use of the phrase life as we know it, probably 'generally' meant birds in the sky, fish in the water, and animals roaming around. Of course some bacterias can survive such conditions, heck we still dont even know if there are already bacteria/microbes in the soil, thats what the rovers may figure out. if that was the case that there is bacteria there, that might signal a huge no-no - depending on their effect on humans. Would you want to live on Anthrax Island for a few months??

"Anthrax is one of the best known agents of biological warfare - and possibly one of the most feared. The bacterium occurs naturally, in low levels, in some animals, but when it is inhaled by humans in the form of spores it is deadly"

The killing power of anthrax was demonstrated by British scientists during the Second World War when it was released on a tiny Scottish island to wipe out a flock of sheep.

The island, Gruinard, just off the mainland, in Gruinard Bay, half way between Ullapool and Gairloch in the Highlands, was so contaminated that it was deemed out-of-bounds for almost 50 years.

http://news.bbc.co.u...and/1457035.stm

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

found a vid on how this is supposed to work...sending rovers to build habitats sounds a bit far fetched tho, but I guess not impossible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QoEEGySGm4

after careful reading it it sounds dangerous first of all will the people who do decide it's worth the risks will they have the following.1)one will they have like a settlement like housing places there.2)how will they survive,3)what will they get to a least raise their chances to survive there in the first place?its sounds like suicide to me.

We do have the tech. for a round trip. But we would need to build a main ship in orbit. Give it an ion engine, and be able to exit the ship to clean the engine screen. Put a lander on it with enough fuel to take off. This ship would need to be moduler. But I agree we need to send colonists on the first trip.

I just hope the Internet will come in Good there,How else would I post on U/M ? And they better send Lots of Hot Sauce ! ITs the only thing that covers up that rank Human taste ! :sk

Really!!!

Columbus was funded by the Spanish monarchy (after the Italian government refused to fund him).

Much of the Portuguese voyages of exploration were under the patronage of the kings of that country.

James Cook was a Royal Navy captain.

The voyage that lead Charles Darwin to write "On the Origin of Species" was on boar HMS Beagle, a Royal Navy vessel.

Lewis and Clark were part of the Corps of Discovery, which was part of the US Army.

The spanish gave him three coastel ships due to be scraped.

Portugel was started so they could do those voyages.

If you watched the movie, darwin was on a warship at a time of war. They stopped to get food and water.

Your correct about lewis and clark. But you forget the fur trappers before them at least to the rockies. And you forget the spanish missinaries for the rest of the usa.

Seeder your coming across as if they haven't thought about all this stuff. I doubt anyone in their right mind would cast a mission like this, OR fund it like a lot of people are doing. If they were not thinking about all the variables. I doubt it was just like 'oh lets go to mars'. It's obviously been planned and is still being planned very thoroughly.

Seeder your coming across as if they haven't thought about all this stuff. I doubt anyone in their right mind would cast a mission like this, OR fund it like a lot of people are doing. If they were not thinking about all the variables. I doubt it was just like 'oh lets go to mars'. It's obviously been planned and is still being planned very thoroughly.

Maybe, Im just quite aware of the pitfalls, and think its a bit of a crazy idea... be good if they can overcome all the challenges - tho the fact remains, the participants will have a poor life up there....

I wouldn't go on a one way trip to Mars. However, I do have some people in mind that I would love to send there.

• Like 1

Now it may appear Im putting a dampener on this mission idea. Im not, and Im interested to see how it works out.....its just that I base my views as much as possible on the facts of the matter. So...assuming then the mission is on.... where do the live when they arrive? if they transport liveable pods - the size of the ship will have to be extremely big, which will push the price up massively.

So lets conquer that issue first? An excerpt from wiki

"Conditions for human habitation"

Based on scientific evidence, collected by satellites and the NASA Rovers, conditions are not “hospitable” to humans or life as we know it. Antarctica has temperatures that are comparable, though Mars is colder, but other environmental circumstances are very unlike those of Earth, in fact would be deadly to all life as we know it. These include greatly reduced air pressure, an atmosphere that’s 95% carbon dioxide, almost no oxygen (compared to Earth’s 21% oxygen and almost no carbon dioxide), reduced gravity, and no liquid water (although amounts of frozen water have been detected). Despite this, some consider Mars to be “habitable,” but which would require that life support measures be taken. People would need to live in artificial environments. Man might one day step foot on Mars and scout around, but it’s unknown if man could ever adapt to living on Mars as a permanent resident.

more great info:

http://en.wikipedia....ization_of_Mars

So its usual temp is the same as and colder than Antarctica... If you have to live in a pod for the rest of your life, how much fun is that?

Well, at a rough guess, they'd probably live indoors. Surely no one was expecting that anyone would think that they'd be able to walk around willy-nilly, did they?

• Like 1

Really!!!

Columbus was funded by the Spanish monarchy (after the Italian government refused to fund him).

Much of the Portuguese voyages of exploration were under the patronage of the kings of that country.

James Cook was a Royal Navy captain.

The voyage that lead Charles Darwin to write "On the Origin of Species" was on boar HMS Beagle, a Royal Navy vessel.

Lewis and Clark were part of the Corps of Discovery, which was part of the US Army.

That may well have been true; but that's never going to happen again, is it? Not least because the world now is not ruled by Monarchs who were able to take the long view, but by Politicians, who can never look further than the next election, and so never have the incentive or see any point in doing anything that would not get them Votes, or have any prospect of getting them re-elected. There'd really be no point in a modern Politcian sponsoring any great project of exploration, since there'd be someone else in office by the time any exciting revelations came back. Nothing will ever get done now that the world is ruled by "elected" Leaders. So therefore, since a One World Government that doesn't have to worry about Votes seems to be unpopular with some around here, I think the only way to make any progress is to take it out of the hands of Governments altogether , at least in the "Democratic" Western World, and let entrenepreneurs have a go. Or perhaps Russia might be able to take things forward, but any way I think America seems to have more or less given up any thoughts of being daring or adventurous and boldy Going anywhere any more.

• Like 1

As NASA would explain,we need someone that will volunteer & agree to go forth & create a new world on Mars.Anyone in their right mind that would agree to that might just as well be declared insane or not right!Firstly,anyone that would subject themselves to a one way trip to hell would have to be out of their mind in the fact that it is a one way trip.No guarantees! No promises.Also there would be a feeling that you might die there on Mars!I personally would NOT want to go there!Hostile Temperatures,cold,fighting for life with the only advantage of being informed by NASA if things go wrong.****! Get lost! No way would I be the next idiot that gives up life on Earth for a barren planet that lost everything!!

Just remember.When the **** hits the fan,stand up for your rights!!

Edited by GirlfromOz

As NASA would explain,we need someone that will volunteer & agree to go forth & create a new world on Mars.Anyone in their right mind that would agree to that might just as well be declared insane or not right!Firstly,anyone that would subject themselves to a one way trip to hell would have to be out of their mind in the fact that it is a one way trip.No guarantees! No promises.Also there would be a feeling that you might die there on Mars!I personally would NOT want to go there!Hostile Temperatures,cold,fighting for life with the only advantage of being informed by NASA if things go wrong.****! Get lost! No way would I be the next idiot that gives up life on Earth for a barren planet that lost everything!!

i don't think anyone is thinking of forcing you to do so, so I don't think you need worry, too much.

• Like 3

Plus I should point out, it has nothing to do with NASA. its a Mars One venture

• Like 1

Well, at a rough guess, they'd probably live indoors. Surely no one was expecting that anyone would think that they'd be able to walk around willy-nilly, did they?

In fairness, that was posted before I found the vid of them sending the pods up first! I should imagine they will take walks, I mean thats what exploration is about isnt it? How far - is a factor of course, probably only as far as half their oxygen lasts. I still cant help but feel its a grim mission and existence tho..

I still cant help but feel its a grim mission and existence tho..

You are not going so no need to worry about it. ;)

I am assuming that they will send both males and females on these missions... Have they made plans for the inevitable births that will come (sooner than they plan for it I am sure)?...

Lots of medical issues... without a skilled physician, the most minor injuries or ailments could easily become lethal...

Plus anyone who goes - particularly the first group of 4 - had better be the type of people that like living in cramped, confined quarters... First is the 7 month journey, in micro-gravity, then moving into the 'hampster habitat' like quarters, wher ethey will stay for the rest of their lives...

Sure hope they like each other - A LOT!

• Like 1

I am assuming that they will send both males and females on these missions... Have they made plans for the inevitable births that will come (sooner than they plan for it I am sure)?...

Lots of medical issues... without a skilled physician, the most minor injuries or ailments could easily become lethal...

Plus anyone who goes - particularly the first group of 4 - had better be the type of people that like living in cramped, confined quarters... First is the 7 month journey, in micro-gravity, then moving into the 'hampster habitat' like quarters, wher ethey will stay for the rest of their lives...

Sure hope they like each other - A LOT!

I was actually reading some pages about this story a few days ago, apparently less gravity makes childbirth difficult if not impossible. Will see if I can find it again....

• Like 1

OK well I didnt find the link I mentioned, but found similar info, tho sadly not as detailed as the one I initially read

"Conceiving a child in the final frontier might be downright dangerous".

"There are many risks to conception in low or microgravity, such as ectopic pregnancy," Woodmansee said. "And, without the protection of the Earth's atmosphere, the higher radiation levels raise the probability of birth defects."

Microgravity does strange things to the body. From bone density loss to odd fluid distribution, the human body was not built to live in low-gravity conditions. Astronauts combat these less-than-ideal conditions through exercise and other methods, but scientists are not sure how they will affect a mother and child.

"The thing is, a baby created and born in space could be perfectly fine," Woodmansee said. "We just don’t know enough about the subject. We've evolved here on the Earth, so moving to outer space is moving evolution in a different direction."

Now, sex on the way maybe eh?

"Sex is very difficult in zero gravity, apparently, because you have no traction and you keep bumping against the walls," biologist Athena Andreadis of the University of Massachusetts Medical School told SPACE.com in 2011. "Think about it: you have no friction, you have no resistance"

http://www.space.com/20718-sex-childbirth-space-mars-mission.html

Be fun to watch the others try it, if nothing else!! :w00t: :w00t:

• Like 1

Mars calls to those that Dream big and believe that Man can do anything he puts his Heart and soul and our money into !

Its just the way we are. And some day man will venture off earth, into the unknown, Who Knows We may just make it some day out there. I would Love to Think we have it in us to Do !

Even its not the Final Frontier Its only one more to explore. Look Big Dream Big Take a bit larger steps to get there. Like the Mars One People are doing.

I would go in a heart beat. Even knowing it would be the last ones on earth ! I would at least be trying !

Edited by DONTEATUS
  • Like 1