Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Applicants wanted for one-way ticket to Mars.

keithisco

But Mars also has Monsters because they are in the Movie "John Carpenter" ,and they also have Ghosts, ref that Movie "the Ghosts of Mars"...and the atmosphere is breathable so whats the problem.

add a few more to your list, I reckon Ive seen about all of them!!

Best Mars Movies

http://www.ranker.com/list/the-best-mars-movies/all-genre-movies-lists

We also have Mars Bars, hee hee.

But the good news is... Mars BRAS wont be needed, much less gravity means 'things' dont get saggy! And stay perky !! :w00t:

It will take a few trips to set up a viable working Colony,possibly a decade or so.It is sheer madness to think that one trip will be enough,you need proven technology not experimental.

Right now with our tech it is a two year round trip. When they do go they will need to come up with names for fifteen more months.

Just found this... http://mars-one.com/en/mars-one-news/press-releases/11-news/433-mars-one-starts-its-search-for-the-first-humans-on-mars

A new 'Reality Show ' in the making ???

Mars One starts its search for the first humans on Mars

NEW YORK, Monday, 22nd April 2013 - Mars One is happy to announce the launch of its astronaut selection program today. The search has begun for the first humans to set foot on Mars and make it their home.

Mars One invites would-be Mars settlers from anywhere in the world to submit an online application via apply.mars-one.com

This online application will be the first of the four rounds that together make the Mars One selection procedure. Round One will run for over five months and end on 31st August 2013. Applicants selected at the end of this round will include the first crew that will land on Mars in 2023. Mars One selection committees will hone the search for the first crew in three subsequent rounds and further training.“We are very excited about launching the selection program. Round One is where we open the doors to Mars for everyone on Earth. This is an international mission and it is very important for the project that anyone anywhere can ask themselves: Do I want this? Am I ready for this? If the answer is yes then we want to hear from you,” said Bas Lansdorp, co-founder of Mars One.

In the last year Mars One received 10,000 messages from prospective applicants from over 100 countries. Mars One expects an unprecedented number of applications and even more internet users visiting the application website to support their favorite candidates.

Applicants are given the choice of publicly sharing and promoting their application page. While Mars One experts will choose which candidates progress to Round 2, everyone will have the opportunity to know the aspiring settlers and give them their vote of confidence.

Applicants will pay a small administration fee that varies across nations according to their per capita GDP. The variable fee makes the program equally accessible for applicants from all nations and also reduces the number of insincere entries.

Mars One is looking for applicants who are both mature and interesting. Beyond Round Four,in the seven-year period preceding their flight to Mars,all the potential settlers will be given the skills they will need on Mars and on their journey there. No particular academic or professional background is considered a prerequisite for selection.

"Gone are the days when bravery and the number of hours flying a supersonic jet were the top criteria," said Norbert Kraft, Mars One's Chief Medical Director and former NASA senior researcher.

For this mission of permanent settlement we are more concerned with how well each astronaut lives and works with others and their ability to deal with a lifetime of challenges."

Just found this...

It can't have been a very thorough search otherwise you wouldn't have made an off topic post in a dead thread about the Indian Mars mission and instead would have found the large and active thread on the Mars One project which, when you made your post, was second from top in this very section.

I'm moving your post to the right topic, along with this post explaining my reason for doing so.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

these are the people who will be weeded out at the first pass.

That is partly why I believe Americans are more aggressive then Europeans, who are more aggressive then earlier cultures... The people on the US west coast are some of the most aggressive people in the world. Those who colonize always have to be more aggressive.

nevertheless, first colonies rarely ever succeed but its the human will to keep trying until they do.

They should probably name the first colony Roanoke....

3)what will they get to a least raise their chances to survive there in the first place?its sounds like suicide to me.

Since it is basically a Reality Show, perhaps the colonists will compete against each other and the winners get something, like better food, or communications back to Earth, or wine, or pot, or magazines... Things to make their life easier...

• Like 1

I would rather be cremated on earth than buried or fried on some other ball of dried mud. at least here I would be with my family ( the song 'Dust in the wind' comes to mind as I type this.)

Edited by mysticwerewolf
  • Like 1

Y don they send animals there first?

Like,... a cow?

• Like 1

Like,... a cow?

haha :tu::clap:

But thinking about it, in a way they are sending animals, , most who want to exhibit themseles on Big Broither are usually pond life

• Like 1

Er... hello... anyone home.

This is absolute codswallop. A scheme to collect investment money and disappear, it can't be anything else.

Can you imagine spending the rest of your life in a garden shed on Mars with a group of people who, by the very fact that they volunteered to do this, must have some serious mental health issues. How bad would your life have to be to volunteer to go on a one-way trip to Mars.

Even if you could re-cycle urine or produce water from ice you would have to generate breathable air, and a nutritious food supply. You could never leave the shed and go for a drive, you could never go to the beach, you could never go to the cinema, if the food supply dwindled groups would form with the idea of killing other groups and eating the remaining food and even the the people they've killed.

You would have to generate electrical power for lighting, you would have no TV or internet so you would get bored very quickly. The other crew members would get on your nerves very quickly, can you imagine a baby being born and screaming in the shed 24hrs a day, and, of course, there's always some sociopath that want's to be emperor, just look around any club you're a member of. I think with something like this the only people that would volunteer for it would have the sociopathic emperor mentality, people that can't make it in the real world, they would be killing each other in no time.

I think if this hair-brained scheme ever did get off the ground, and if it does I'll eat my car, there would be an awful lot of air-lock accidents.

So you don't believe in exploring strange new worlds, then, or would you be content to rely on second-hand pictures from robots, and remain tied to this planet for ever and never find out what's next door (since even robots or Rovers can never be a substitute for actually going somewhere and seeing it hands-on for yourself).

Er... hello... anyone home.

This is absolute codswallop. A scheme to collect investment money and disappear, it can't be anything else.

Can you imagine spending the rest of your life in a garden shed on Mars with a group of people who, by the very fact that they volunteered to do this, must have some serious mental health issues. How bad would your life have to be to volunteer to go on a one-way trip to Mars.

Even if you could re-cycle urine or produce water from ice you would have to generate breathable air, and a nutritious food supply. You could never leave the shed and go for a drive, you could never go to the beach, you could never go to the cinema, if the food supply dwindled groups would form with the idea of killing other groups and eating the remaining food and even the the people they've killed.

You would have to generate electrical power for lighting, you would have no TV or internet so you would get bored very quickly. The other crew members would get on your nerves very quickly, can you imagine a baby being born and screaming in the shed 24hrs a day, and, of course, there's always some sociopath that want's to be emperor, just look around any club you're a member of. I think with something like this the only people that would volunteer for it would have the sociopathic emperor mentality, people that can't make it in the real world, they would be killing each other in no time.

I think if this hair-brained scheme ever did get off the ground, and if it does I'll eat my car, there would be an awful lot of air-lock accidents.

There is nothing "hair - brained" about this scheme...it just takes a Leap of Imagination that is beyond the grasp of most folk. Think back to the Gemini and Apollo programmes: the Astronauts involved risked their lives every time they went into Space. They knew the dangers, they knew that what they were doing was inherently inimicable to life.... but they still went.

Were these Sociopaths, saddled with an "Emperor Syndrome"? Not one of them. They were explorers and adventurers to a man. If we were to apply your criteria to these heroes then we have to call them mentally challenged.

I dont think you linked to the website, had you done so then you would realise that they MUST leave their habitations in order to survive and build the first outpost. This is a programme beyond the understanding of a lot of people which informs the "Narrow" mindedness of such folk. Sure, life on Earth would be vastly more comfortable, do your job for 40+ yrs, retire to a Condo in Florida, and reflect on the fact that your contribution to Humankind Advancement had little or no significance.

• Like 2

There is nothing "hair - brained" about this scheme...it just takes a Leap of Imagination that is beyond the grasp of most folk. Think back to the Gemini and Apollo programmes: the Astronauts involved risked their lives every time they went into Space. They knew the dangers, they knew that what they were doing was inherently inimicable to life.... but they still went.

Were these Sociopaths, saddled with an "Emperor Syndrome"? Not one of them. They were explorers and adventurers to a man. If we were to apply your criteria to these heroes then we have to call them mentally challenged.

I dont think you linked to the website, had you done so then you would realise that they MUST leave their habitations in order to survive and build the first outpost. This is a programme beyond the understanding of a lot of people which informs the "Narrow" mindedness of such folk. Sure, life on Earth would be vastly more comfortable, do your job for 40+ yrs, retire to a Condo in Florida, and reflect on the fact that your contribution to Humankind Advancement had little or no significance.

As you rightly say, the first men in space and on the moon knew the risks and took them, but at least they had the option to come home and were controlled by the smartest biggest space organization there is, NASA. My greatest reservation is this: Mars One the group behind this, are not NASA. They have no space experience at all and if you read carefully, they are not harping on about the first people to live on Mars....what keeps popping up is...'this will be the greatest media event ever'

Yes - their motivation is the ratings and the money it will bring in. A totally different approcah to NASA's. Who cares who dies and how so long as the cash flows in, and it will of course.

Edited by seeder

Y don they send animals there first?

They will if you would do abit of research... This is not a scam, at least it doesnt show any signs for now.. it has been in motion far longer that it was made public...

As you rightly say, the first men in space and on the moon knew the risks and took them, but at least they had the option to come home and were controlled by the smartest biggest space organization there is, NASA. My greatest reservation is this: Mars One the group behind this, are not NASA. They have no space experience at all and if you read carefully, they are not harping on about the first people to live on Mars....what keeps popping up is...'this will be the greatest media event ever'

Yes - their motivation is the ratings and the money it will bring in. A totally different approcah to NASA's. Who cares who dies and how so long as the cash flows in, and it will of course.

;

You forget the pilgrams. They had no place to return to. They were kicked out of the netherlands and england. They came to amrica to stay.

Those at james town could go home. But, they disappeard without a trace, other than their buildings.

You forget the pilgrams. They had no place to return to. They were kicked out of the netherlands and england. They came to amrica to stay.

Those at james town could go home. But, they disappeard without a trace, other than their buildings.

so? at least they were on their home planet with food water, gravity, sunshine, AND OTHER PEOPLE ... so whats your point exctly?

so? at least they were on their home planet with food water, gravity, sunshine, AND OTHER PEOPLE ... so whats your point exctly?

his point is that it was a one-way trip too. ;)

So you don't believe in exploring strange new worlds, then, or would you be content to rely on second-hand pictures from robots, and remain tied to this planet for ever and never find out what's next door (since even robots or Rovers can never be a substitute for actually going somewhere and seeing it hands-on for yourself).

I certainly do believe the human race race should expand beyond the Earth, we'll have to. However, this should be done when we're technologically ready, when we can mount realistic human expeditions with the technology to return if we wish, and have the technology to create a realistic human habitat on another world. Currently we are not technologically ready, not by a long chalk.

I think the first off world human habitat will be on the moon, it will be done by one of the superpowers, most likely the USA, and regardless of who builds it, it will be a helium 3 mining operation.

Edited by Occams Razor

I certainly do believe the human race race should expand beyond the Earth, we'll have to. However, this should be done when we're technologically ready, when we can mount realistic human expeditions with the technology to return if we wish, and have the technology to create a realistic human habitat on another world. Currently we are not technologically ready, not by a long chalk.

I think the first off world human habitat will be on the moon, it will be done by one of the superpowers, most likely the USA, and regardless of who builds it, it will be a helium 3 mining operation.

I agree on exploring other planets and the Universe, but it saddens me to think that the reason why humans should expand beyond Earth is because we HAVE to, this means one thing to me, we have wreaked the life out of this one. I would rather think it was because we wanted to, not because we have to.

And we'll never be technologically ready unless we actually start doing it. The first colonies anywhere will be risky opperations and people will die. But if we press on and keep at it, they will succeed. I for one will envy those first human pioneers. They'll be doing something that most people are too scared/lazy/unlucky to ever accomplish imho. Cheers.

• Like 1

Absolute twaddle.

With regard Gemini and Apollo...

1) They fully expected to survive and see their families and friends again, they fully expected to drive their corvettes to the beach again etc.

2) The missions were of a finite duration, not one way to oblivion.

3) Anyone can put up with someone for a few hours, a few days, or even a week. Not indefinitely.

4) Of course I don't think these astronauts were mentally challenged. I think if you asked any Gemini or Apollo astronaut if they were prepared to go on a one-way trip to Mars they would have all declined.

There is no comparison between a one way trip to Mars and the Gemini and Apollo missions.To call this nonsense hair-brained is to be over complimentary in the extreme.

You seem to think that going outside of the habitat and building their own individual dwellings would be like doing it here on Earth, just get some rocks, build some walls, make some kind of roof, wait a minute, it's a bit dark, I need some windows. I'll just go and dig up some sand, make a furnace, make some oxygen so that it will burn, and melt the sand, assuming there is some sand, into glass. What would you use for fuel, collect some logs, it's laughable. It would be beyond extremely difficult. You would have to do your construction work in a space suit, with no vehicles, where would you get your materials? Your dwelling would have to be air-tight, radiation proof, capable of producing breathable air, drinkable water and useful food. You wouldn't have a flush toilet, you would have to make your own toilet paper, you would have to make your own electricity. You wouldn't be able to pop down to the hardware store for some materials or tools or some nuts and bolts, you would't be able to run a generator to power tools.

You wouldn't be able to pop down the mall for some milk, or custard, or fruit, or new clothes, you would have to make them... with what, you would have to make the materials... with what?

You would never drive a car, or swim, or go to watch a football match, or a play, or a rock concert, or go to a nice restaurant for a meal etc etc etc ever again.

You would have to be seriously deranged to even consider it. It's just an expensive way to commit suicide, nothing more.

If you give it a go be sure and let us all know how you get on, send us a postcard. I think it's your understanding and imagination that's severely lacking.

Edited by Occams Razor
  • Like 1

I agree on exploring other planets and the Universe, but it saddens me to think that the reason why humans should expand beyond Earth is because we HAVE to, this means one thing to me, we have wreaked the life out of this one. I would rather think it was because we wanted to, not because we have to.

We have to because the Sun has a finite fuel supply. If we are Earth bound we die with the Sun when it runs out of fuel.

• Like 1

And we'll never be technologically ready unless we actually start doing it. The first colonies anywhere will be risky opperations and people will die. But if we press on and keep at it, they will succeed. I for one will envy those first human pioneers. They'll be doing something that most people are too scared/lazy/unlucky to ever accomplish imho. Cheers.

We certainly do need to establish off world colonies, but it has to be realistic, we're just not ready to do it yet. This one-way trip to Mars is just ridiculous. I still think it's an investment con, just like mining asteroids.