Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why does our brain crave music ?

Saru

Humans have been playing and listening to music since the dawn of time, so what makes it so appealing ?

If making music isn’t the most ancient of human activities, it’s got to be pretty close. Melody and rhythm can trigger feelings from sadness to serenity to joy to awe; they can bring memories from childhood vividly back to life.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Music is my favorite drug.

Of course, I didn't need to become a neuroscience major to know all that.

Fascinating nonetheless.

• Like 1

vibration similarities of eaches own brain pattern would be what attracts certain people to certain music in my opinion. hence you get goosebumps when you hear a reeeeeally good song.

Seems there is always a song running through my head.

Even the earth seems to have its own song, if you really listen.

Listening to music just makes me feel good and lets me tune out the world for as long as I want. That's why music draws me in.

Also, depending on which song you are listening to, some of your best ideas can come from a really awesome song when you least expect it.

• Like 1

Music

- wakes me up in the morning

- helps me relax and concentrate during the day

- puts me to sleep at night

I think music is a higher form of human expression and communication. :)

• Like 1

I don't have an answer, but I sure can't live without it. It(music) keeps me sane.

• Like 1

"From an evolutionary point of view, however, music doesn’t seem to make sense. Unlike sex, say, or food, it did nothing to help our distant ancestors survive and reproduce."

Read more: http://science.time.com/2013/04/15/music/#ixzz2QoTN1ISy

I disagree. Music is still helping people to reproduce. It also fosters group cohesiveness which in primitive environments may have been crucial to survival. Personally, I can't live without it. I can't play a note but I have been fascinated by music since my early teens and over the years I have had equipment and media to store and reproduce music in every format available. I have some means to play music in every room and carry an ipod everywhere I go. I like nearly all kinds and am always open to something new.

I don't have an answer, but I sure can't live without it. It(music) keeps me sane.

I can see that from your icon!

Humans have been playing and listening to music since the dawn of time, so what makes it so appealing ?

Mankind has always been drawn to sax and violins.

Sorry.....

• Like 1

Mankind has always been drawn to sax and violins.

Sorry.....

would that be gratuitous sax and senseless violins by any chance....?

;-)

our brains crave music because ecstacy's pretty bloody boring without it.....

:-)

• Like 1

Because music is beautiful and has the unique ability to influence one's mood almost instantly.

my first thought when I read the title of this threat was "something has to fill up the empty space in my head". but I figured someone looking over my shoulder would get mad at me so I didn't say it. then I thought about it for awhile.

from conception to birth all we hear ( if we are capable of hearing before birth) is a rhythmic thump, thump, thump . Most types of music include a beat a rhythmic thump thump thump . It isn't quite the same but I notice that I like drum beats as much as the musical artists that I follow much of the time I prefer elevator music and instrumental music to vocals, even when I Like the vocals and the artist, and examining my own tastes in music it is almost always because of the percussion ( < note the "almost" ) This is just my personal theory but it seems to fit

• 2 weeks later...

I once read an article that the rythym of music triggers the endorphines in our brains and thats what makes it so appealing to a lot of people and why we seem to 'crave' more of it.