Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gun control legislation vote today

Jeremiah65

Today at 4:00 pm, the Enhanced background checks and registration legislation comes to the floor. The Democrats feel they have enough votes to block a filibuster, but it is close.

I am against this legislation for several reasons but primarily I disagree with taking a fundamental "right" and turning it into a Government controlled "privilege". I also believe that Prohibitive legislation never works and generally increases crime rather than deter it. Furthermore, making even private sales require a background check simply makes the law abiding citizen have to cut through miles of red tape and does nothing to curb criminal or black market sales.

This is not good legislation and will not solve the problems of crime and violence. It is unnecessary.

I have contacted both of my Senators as well as Rand Paul's office to ask them to vote "no".

I encourage everyone to do the same. Do your civic duty and let your representatives hear your voice...for or against...that is up to you.

I have enclosed the main contact site for the Senate. it's easy to find your state representatives and either call them or send an email. I did both.

http://www.senate.gov/reference/common/faq/How_to_contact_senators.htm

Best of luck fellow citizens. It is our duty to participate in our Government and this is your opportunity to have your voice heard.

Thanks for your time and thoughtfulness.

• Like 5

I hope it dosent pass but i bet it does :/

• Like 2

I sent e-mails to Senator (s) Ted Cruz and Rand Paul's offices asking them to vote NO also. Me and my husband are also members of several gun rights groups. I hope to God this does not pass. We already have background checks we're crying out loud! Even if you buy a gun at a gun show, you still have to provide ID, fill out the proper paperwork, etc. And you can only buy a gun from someone there who has the proper government liscense to sell guns. It's just BS is what it is.

If those senators know what's good for their political careers they will vote NO on this, or they'll all be out of job come next November....

Edited by Kowalski
  • Like 4

Bill was defeated...barely. The Manchin-Toomey enhanced background checks Amendment was defeated by 54 to 46...60 votes required for passage.

There are 8 more amendments up for vote in the Senate including the assault weapon ban and an amendment to limit clip capacity. Both are expected to fail.

Just beat me to the news!! i was typing when I saw a reply had been posted.

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 4

I hope it doesn't pass. We already have background checks and it stopped Lanza from buying a gun he had to steal one. All the legislation in the world isn't going to stop someone from stealing a gun.

• Like 1

Bill was defeated...barely. The Manchin-Toomey enhanced background checks Amendment was defeated by 54 to 46...60 votes required for passage.

There are 8 more amendments up for vote in the Senate including the assault weapon ban and an amendment to limit clip capacity. Both are expected to fail.

Just beat me to the news!! i was typing when I saw a reply had been posted.

I actually just happened to be on this thread when my phone went off, ive been following the topic so I got to post pretty quick.

Whoo! I'm not an American, but I am fan of a FREE nation! Small victories, guys.

• Like 3

That is very good news indeed. We'll eventually lose most of the rights we have(even if it takes another 300 years), but it's nice to know they're being resisted every step of the way.

• Like 1

:clap: :clap:

• Like 1

I will be waiting to find out what happens here.

Well given that background checks were among the mildest reforms being put forward hopefully people will stop freaking out about losing their guns. If this has failed I doubt anything else is going to get through.

All of todays amendments have been defeated :tsu: .Now I hope CISPA gets defeated tommrow.

• Like 1

It is indeed a great victory for America but it is also only one battle. The POTUS has a track record of losing the early rounds to then later comeback to win. Can't explain it but it has to end before this nation ceases to exist.

How dare he exploit the tragedy of the families of Sandy Hook to enslave this nation. How can one not be p***ed?

• Like 4

I hate to say it but any president would of done this except maybe for Paul, not the son.

I hate to say it but any president would of done this except maybe for Paul, not the son.

what makes you think Rand would? The guy who tried to get support to fillibuster the bill from the start. Im pretty sure he wouldent of tried to pass a gun control bill.

I was very pleased that all 6 that were up yesterday were defeated. Especially the enhanced background checks, the assault weapon ban (Feinstein's crusade) and the limit on magazine capacity.

There was actually a bill up yesterday to make a concealed carry permit from one state legal in all states...that one got shot down too. I wasn't against that one, but I do respect that it somewhat violates an individual states rights to be sovereign. If a state wants to have rules about who can conceal carry in their state, they should be allowed to.

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 1

There was actually a bill up yesterday to make a concealed carry permit from one state legal in all states...that one got shot down too. I wasn't against that one, but I do respect that it somewhat violates an individual states rights to be sovereign. If a state wants to have rules about who can conceal carry in their state, they should be allowed to.

I agree with you, however, if we are being forced to purchase healthcare insurance then we should be force to all carry. A gun is the ultimate in insurance.

• Like 1

Obama said it was only round one. Too bad he's limited to ten of them.

We're not.

• Like 1

I agree with you, however, if we are being forced to purchase healthcare insurance then we should be force to all carry. A gun is the ultimate in insurance.

A gun won't keep you from getting sick or breaking your leg, or pay your medical bills, but I get the gist of what you are saying.

A gun won't keep you from getting sick or breaking your leg, or pay your medical bills, but I get the gist of what you are saying.

It’ll help to prevent you from getting lead poisoning.

• Like 1

The president is not going to give up on this. It's one of his main agendas to take our means of protection away from us. If he has to, he will sneak it through in the dark of night sometime as a mandate or stick it onto the end of another bill and sneak it through that way. The man is stubborn and does not accept the word no, even if the entire public says it.

• Like 1

I don’t know how long this bill is but I did hear that it was hundreds of pages. If that is true, does it take hundreds of pages to extend background checks? And if that is true, then what else is in that bill? Obama correctly states that 90% of the people are for the concept of extending background checks but considering unintentional consequences of legislation, should he also tout what those are and see how many people are then for the bill (or just the concept)? Who’s lying now?

• Like 1